Urgent Opthalmologist Referral

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello!

I'm new to this and was just looking to see if anyone else has had a similar experience.

I went to the opticians for a standard eye test (including retinal photography) 3 days ago. I have not noticed any acute vision problems, but I am slightly short-sighted and it had been around 6 years since my last eye test.

When looking at the photographs the Optomotrist stated that I have bilateral slightly blurred disc margins and told me that I needed to be referred to see an Opthalmologist urgently, which I found quite concerning. She didn't explain what this could be caused by, but kept reiterating that I needed an urgent referral.

She gave me a referral letter which I have now taken to my GP to refer me.

Has anyone else gone through this process and how soon did you receive an appointment? And should I be concerned by these findings? I am otherwise fit and well and do not take any regular medications, so this was a bit of a shock!  I do get frequent headache, but this has been a long-standing issue and isn't anything new.

Many thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Look up papilloedema. That would be my guess though I have not experienced it and am not a doctor. It came up when I Googled blurred discs plus eyes.

Best wishes hon!

• Posted

I had seen that when I briefly googled - but it sounds quite scary so I'm trying not to read too much into it! I suppose it's just a bit difficult because I have no idea how "urgent" this situation is - and don't know whether to expect an appointment in 2 weeks, 2 months, 6 months etc. I would have thought that if it was that concerning I would have been sent straight to A&E so I guess thats reassuring.

Thank you!

• Posted

Hi.    You havent mentioned any other symptoms and the optometrist has said "slightly" so dont be too worried. Some people are born like this. The optometrist is doing exactly the right thing,referring you for more investigations,but often nothing abnormal is found.     Mention the headaches to the ophthalmologist . have you had retinal photography before with this same optometrist? If so they will be comparing the previous photo to this one. If you have never had retinal photography you may find you have been living with this all your life. As to when you will get an appointment it really depends on how the ophthalmologist interprets what the optometrist has said.

• Posted

Hi Marina,

I have had retinal photography on 3 previous occasions (but with a different optometrist)  and was told everything looked normal - but I guess the similar images could have been interpreted differently by different individuals. Thank you for reassuring me! 

• Posted

Just an afterthought......if you can get copies of all the retinal photographs you have had done and possibly also copies of the optometrists reports to go with them it would be immensely helpful to the ophthalmologist.   You have a right to these under The Access to Health records Act and must apply in writing [that includes email] to each organisation. There may be a fee to pay. Good luck.
    • Posted

Marina that is a wonderful point. Especially since it is both eyes.... if it were just one, I could understand the concern.

• Posted

Marina - that's a great idea, I'll look into that! Thank you! 

• Posted

You may find that if some of your records are over 10 years old they have been destroyed. That is in keeping with the the general guidelines and cant be helped. Its always a good idea to have all your eye tests at the same opticians so the previous photos and reports can be compared.
  • Posted

I don't know anything about that condition, but I once had an eye test and was sent straight to eye hospital, so I'd take Domenic peace in that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.