Urgent Question about TIA

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, I'm 19 years old without any particular known health issues aside from GERD. My main risk factor would be inactivity as I work as a computer programmer and don't get a whole lot of exercise. No family history, nothing like that in particular, but... last night, I woke up around 6 AM with a bit of pins and needles sensations on the tip of my right hand fingers and just on my cheekbones. My immediate thought was ischemic stroke(lacunar in nature) and I started reading an excerpt to see if I wasn't able to understand any of it. I could read it fine aside from feeling rather drowsy since I woke up at 6AM. I did a variety of self tests such as raising both arms in bed(at 6 AM, yes) and standing up and walking around. Of course, I was slightly panicking(oh hell, I was panicking hardcore) and I'm seriously wondering if I should take a trip to the ER for this. The pins and needles lasted around 1-2 minutes and shortly disappeared(with no other symptoms aside from the pins and needles), but it was enough to alarm me. Google so kindly informed me that I'll probably have a massive stroke fairly soon, and that got me in the typical terror dooms-day mode. 

It felt like that pins and needles was specifically localized in my cheek(not whole side of face) and finger tips. I'm not sure if it was a mild stroke or my blood circulation acting up. It wasn't at all severe and I haven't had any changes in vision or whatnot, but I'm wondering if this is a cause for serious concern. I didn't experience any pain and the event has yet to recur. 

I'm still slightly shaking from fear though... I love my folks to death and it's my worst nightmare to have them worry about their only son. I've had blood tests, urine tests, EKGs, Holters, ultrasounds and everything to rule out anything unusual, but nothing was caught. This would be a stroke without any real known cause aside from inactivity. I don't smoke or drink and eat a healthy balance of foods. I have an appointment in about a week for another full check up, but I'm wondering if this requires IMMEDIATE attention or is something mild enough to wait. I don't think I would have been concerned as much if it was just my hand, but it happened with my cheek, so it may very well have been a very very mild stroke. Or perhaps it was me sleeping uncomfortably in the upright position leaning on a couple pillows. A CT scan is out of the picture(unless I want some late life cancer), but I wonder if it's imperative to head to the ER and get an MRI or something... Our medical coverage isn't active until a week, so if it's nothing that'll kill me immediately, I'd prefer to wait a bit. 

Argh, the anxiety hurts more than the actual pins and needles...

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have no medical training, so be advised. But it would appear from your detailed report that you are basically in good health or doctors would have told you something to pursue in order to detect the reason for your pins and needles, etc. If this reoccurs , then you may feel better going to an ER and checking it out. I understand that you want to wait until your insurance kicks in. If it were a TIA, the clot is apparently gone and that is why they call it "transient". If the clot stays, your arm, etc. may have been unable to move and one side of your body would have been affected, usually , including your speech. What you may want to ask your doctor and check with your parents is your family history of cardiovascular problems. A TIA can come from a neck artery that is somewhat clogged, or something that your heart did, or from a clot in some part of your body, even a vein. We never think of a 19 year old as having any of these problems, so rest easy, but do bring up the subject. Family history is useful in predicting some of what we will encounter when we grow up.  Another avenue to explore is whether or not you have had any spinal of neck injuries to your bones. You know we have a spinal cord going through our spines from which root nerves go out and sub-divide into a web of nerves to enable our bodies to feel and move and take directions from our brain.  Sometimes, one of our root nerves can be pinched coming out of the spine and will produce neurological feelings like tingling and even pain of course. If you were a rough and tumble lad, maybe you have had bone injuries to your spine.  Check with your parents is always good advice.

?Thank you for writing to the forum and being pro-active in your own behalf as far as health matters go. And rest easy ......as you are on top of your problem and are actively looking for a solution. Excessive worry will only magnify any condition and make it worse, or at least feel worse.

?Best of luck to you.  Am sending a cyber -hug from this old granny.

• Posted

Thank you for your words of wisdom. I called my primary and he told me that it's probably fine. It was very fleeting and far "too mild" to be a major TIA if it even was one. He mentioned that I should get some exercise because it may be due to sedentary lifestyle and having poor circulation. My whole family's mostly fine, but we have a problem with bladder stones. I'll have to watch out for that one later in my life. 

I'm going to start a small training regimen to see if I can help my body relax from it's adrenal overdrive that it tends to go into. The anxiety from a short moment lasts a long time and makes my body be on overdrive for a while, so I think the exercise will help me regain my confidence and boost my digestion. I was too afraid to start exercising in fear of suddenly keeling over from some bizarre clot somewhere(which really doesn't have anywhere to be), but I figured that if I don't do anything about it, it can actually get worse. Thank you for your concern. I'll hopefully be able to attend college next year when I slowly regain my health back. High school took a number on me with stress... I think the health issues that I have now are from the excessive stress I had in high school.

Time to learn to relax and take it easy. Thanks again!

*e-hug*

• Posted

I neglected to mention Carpal Tunnel in your wrists.  Since you are on the computer all the time, it is not unusual to have numb hands as a result of the canal that the nerve goes through is swollen and therefore the neurological feelings. This does not include your cheek, though. Google this and read about it. Resting the hand, or using a slightly tight restriction that one can buy in most pharmacies will help for sure.  Doctors also give a shot for it that is helpful as well. Research, research.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.