Urgent question - long

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

I have had some recent scares especially this one....my pft readings,  I have a handheld spirometer and finger oxygen reader ( the spirometer is probably not completely accurate!)

this is past week, I had an exacerbation whee I had sob and low energy for a few hours (not severe, but enough for me to go to ER).  I. Did not know it. Was an exacerbation until they found a mild patch f pneumonia, gave me breathing treatment, antibiotics and prednisone.

In the meantime, I had day surgery scheduled for a bladder issue.   ER said to come back to do a cxr to see if pneumonia better. They found slight so gave it a go.  Anesthesiologist and my dr cleared me for surgery.  Surgery for issue was fine but they said I had a bronchospasm and big drop in oxygen.   To 85.  My normal is 96-98.  Finally back up to 96 and I went home.  They did not give me any specific info just nit to lie around and do deep breathing, which I did.

Today I feel pretty good, my oxygen is at 97.   Here's the thing - my PFT's are at or a little below 2L!  My recent has been between 2.226 -2.36.  

I know anesthesia and pneumonia have big effect.  Advise if I should go to emergency Pulmo appt?  Give it a couple more days?  This would mean my lung function is very low.  I am not sob.  Just not as much energy as usual.

thank. You!!

Su

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The pft numbers have been low since pneumonia.  Just now even lower.
  • Posted

I would always say, if at all in doubt, get checked out. Of course, it has to be personal choice, but if it would alleviate your concerns, then it's always better to be safe than sorry.

Please let me know how you get on.

*gently hugs*

• Posted

I hope you are feeling a bit better from the operation and pneumonia soon

richard

• Posted

Thank you hang and Richard.  Cannot see Pulmo for over 2 weeks.

Has anyone else ever had similar experiences with exacerbation or surgery causing lung function decllne so quickly?

And does anyone use a hand-held spiromter.?  What is your opinion?

Thanks, you have all been very supportive of me when I need it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.