Urgent referral - possible bladder cancer

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi.  I've recently started needing to pee all the time.  My GP took a urine sample and prescibed a short course of antibiotics but they didn't help.  Yesterday I took another sample in and the surgery phoned me and asked me to come in to see the nurse.  Apparently the antibiotics were to ensure the blood found in the 1st sample wasn't due to infection and as blood was in the 2nd sample they have referred me for further investigations.  I don't think I took it in properly when I was told and there are a few questions I wish I'd asked.

Firstly, how are the investigations likely to be carried out?  I don't really want to tell my family about this at the minute as I don't want to worry them but if I have to spend a whole day in hospital or have general anaesthetic I may have to.

Also, I've been so tired lately.  Is that likely to be a bad sign?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Lesley73033, if you'd like to know a little about me click on the Kombi...

Telling your family is totally up to you but I must say that this is all about YOU and not them... If you are unlucky to have Bladder Cancer there is going to be lots of your time used in getting you through this and all the support you can get is vital...

The tiredness is most likely due to your body gradually losing blood which results in less oxygen in your system therefore your heart etc. works that increasingly bit harder to try and compensate...

I had blood tests done as I had blood in my urine (lots) and was referred to the local hospital where I have been treated for Bladder Cancer since December 3rd 2009...

My initial hospital test was a CT scan which picked a large tumor (about the size of a clenched fist) in my bladder...

I was operated on as soon as my red blood cell levels had recovered...

I became a frequent flier at the hospital getting to know most on a first name basis (hence my reference previously about 'lots of time') and still have regular visits...

I understand you will have lots of questions so please ask away...

• Posted

Thanks, Combi.  I still have no date to see the consultant.  Here in the UK they are supposed to give you a date within 14 days of referal but, of course, Easter has been right in the miccle.  I had blood test last week but haven't got those results back either.  The not knowing is awful.  My Dad had bladder cancer.  He lived for 2 years after diagnosis but eventually it spread to his liver.  That's one of the reasons I don't want to worry my family unless I have to

Looking at your profile, you haven't half been through the mill!!  Thanks for offering to help.  I'm sure I will have lots to ask if it does turn out to be cancer

• Posted

Yeah I completely understand how it is not knowing...sadly it's just a part of the process... Sad to hear about your dad...

On a lighter note I've been in the spotlight for 6 years now and all has been clear the last few times we've had a look...luckily my bladder cancer was a non-invasive although it was classified as High Grade...

I often tell people that there's sometimes a good side to my bladder cancer as if I hadn't been being treated for it I'd probably be dead now from Prostate Cancer as it was only discovered during a regular bladder biopsy...

Please let me know how you go with your results and remember I am always here should you need me...

• Posted

That's a really good way of looking at it.  I'm glad everything is going well for you.  I have read that bladdre cancer is usually caught early.

I now have my appointment with a urologist.  It is on Monday and I'm to have a cystoscopy.  So things are finally moving

• Posted

Hi Lesley, I'm going through a similar thing to you, but a few weeks ahead.

After having a smear test, I was called back to my GP, who said that some cells had been found that they didn't expect to find. I was sent for an ultrasound of my womb, whilst this was being done, I was asked if I had any bladder probelms, as they could look at the same time. I mentioned that I needed the loo frequentely, so an ultrasound was done of my bladder. An hour after I got home, my GP rang and asked me to attend the following day, where I was told there was a lump in my womb and bladder.

I've seen the gynacologist, had a biopsy and polyp removed. All done!

My bladder diagnosis was given after the consultant had seen my ultrasound, he also sent me for a CT scan.

The urologist said I had a non invasive tumour, Whilst going for tests, I only told my hubby, as like yourself, I lost my father to bladder cancer. I didn't think my 80 year old mother could cope with the news and didn't want to worry my 2 children, who are in their 20's.  

I'm now waiting for my operation, which is at the end of the month, where the consultant has said that he will remove the tumour. I've got so many questions, so I have written them down,as they come into my mind, and will take with me to my pre op assessment next week. I wanted to speak to someone before that, but didn't know where to turn, Only found this page today! 

Will let you know how I get on with my questions. 

• Posted

Thanks for sharing that with me Niki.  It's good to know that I'm not alone.  I'm going to start writing down questions for Monday.  That's a very good idea.

I'm telling myself that me Dad was nearly 80 when he was diagnosed and I'm pretty sure that he had symptoms for a lot longer than he made out.  He didn't like to bother the doctor.

That is both you and Kombi that had cancer found while doctors were looking at something else!  Remarkable really.  Good luck 

• Posted

My Dad was 75 and his doctor said his problems were just because he was getting old! It wasn't until he passed quite a lot of blood one day and he went to A&E, they got tests started. But by the time he found out he had cancer, it was agressive and had gone through the bladder lining.

Everyone, including the consultant, says I am lucky that it was caught so early. 

Will keep my fingers crossed for Monday for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.