urgh gallbladders suck!!!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have posted a few times already it's been 14 weeks since I was admitted to hospital with acute cholestitis (think that's wat it's called) since then I've been in pain every single day not just a little dull ache but horrible stabbing gripping pains. I have now found out 4 weeks before my op that I have another infection. I am about at my wits end I have tried every pain killer they give me but I'm still having an attack at least once a week. I'm on a very very low fat diet no dairy no fatty meats can't eat some veg ive found too basically fish & rice! I am struggling today I'm about ready to take the thing out myself it's probably due to lack of sleep but hey ho I've tried the teas etc and horwater bottles ice packs etc has anyone got anything else I can try before I loose my mind xx

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi 

no caffeine it causes the gallbladder to contract , so does chocolate , you said you cut out fat .. Absolutely no fat so skimmed milk low fat Mayo instead of marg or butter ... I found meat caused problems .. Basically your gallbladder is sore inflamed if u have stones too then when u eat anything difficult to digest meat salad veg that's not boiled to death and mushy your stomach sends for more bile from your gallbladder to digest your gallbladder contracts  squeezes and pain the stones rub on the inside of your gallbladder sore aching pain . Then if it sqeezes and a stone gets stuck in a duct vomiting chronic attack to dislodge stone .. 

Just eat mushy bland almost baby food and no caffeine ... 

Camomile tea helped as it calms and sooths ....

buscopan can help with the pain stops spasms ...and omeprazole twice a day stops the amount of bile being produced  from your liver therefore gives your gallbladder a break ....if it gets bad ring an ambulance get it out quicker don't endure agony 

I managed 15 years of undiagnosed gall bladder attacks and that boring horrendous diet settled it in between attacks .. But diagnosis and removal has transformed my life ... Pain free and can eat fruit curries meat etc .. Hang in there won't be long 

• Posted

Thank you smile I'll try the coffee I have changed to skimmed milk but hardly have it don't use butter or in fact any oil no mayo no eggs just boring bland food, taking 8 buscopan a day I'll ask Dr bout the other one though thankyou smile I've been in hospital 6 times & apparently October was the earliest they could get me in, I guess it's a case of waiting my turn.

Thanks for taking time to reply xxx

• Posted

I think cutting coffee and tea you'll see a big change .. I did .. And if I gave in and had a cup I paid for it xxxx
    • Posted

Hi Sally

I'm 2 weeks post my gall bladder op my tummy looks like I'm pregnant! Sigh - someone said its still swollen from inside hence it looks big!

I've changed to just hot water with a slice of lemon or fresh mint

Food I'm still experimenting but keeping fats down as much as I can

When I used to have lots of pain before the removal, the Doc at A&E prescribed voltarol suppositories

At that time I was ready to just take anything get rid of the pain. They actually worked as it's an anti inflammatory- same thing you use for back pain etc and as it's a suppository it works better for the lower part of the body

Since then I've always carried it with me

That may be something which may give you comfort. The pain subsided within minutes.

My surgery was supposed to be in Jan but only just did it 2 weeks ago

Hope you feel better soon! Big hugs x

• Posted

Sorry you are sturggling so much Hannah.

I found Buscopan helped me but I ended up on morphine before having my gallbladder removed at end of April.

Still having to be careful what I eat.

Hope yu get your op soon.

Take care and keep in touch

Praying for you

Love Sarah xxx

• Posted

Hi Hannah

Sorry I posted this in the wrong window!

I'm 2 weeks post my gall bladder op my tummy looks like I'm pregnant! Sigh - someone said its still swollen from inside hence it looks big!

I've changed to just hot water with a slice of lemon or fresh mint

Food I'm still experimenting but keeping fats down as much as I can

When I used to have lots of pain before the removal, the Doc at A&E prescribed voltarol suppositories

At that time I was ready to just take anything get rid of the pain. They actually worked as it's an anti inflammatory- same thing you use for back pain etc and as it's a suppository it works better for the lower part of the body

Since then I've always carried it with me

That may be something which may give you comfort. The pain subsided within minutes.

My surgery was supposed to be in Jan but only just did it 2 weeks ago

Hope you feel better soon! Big hugs x

• Posted

Hi Hannah, I so feel your pain I was the same as you just over three weeks ago but now GB free smile

I got to the point of only eating vegtable soup and porridge with no dairy just made with water. Anything I ate upset it and it was a constant nagging pain. I couldnt tolerate any meat or fish so may be thats worth a try?? I was on slop basically for 16 weeks before the op. I couldnt tolerate  any fat at all was basically fat free. Not even soya milk . I know you siad your very low fat but may be go fat free as see if that helps. I know its very difficult and I really feel for you as I know exactly how it is and how frustraitng and upsetting a time your going through. But take heart as soon the thing will be gone and it is so wonerful to get rid of that constant pain smile All the best x

• Posted

You're all so amazing smile I sometimes feel like nobody else understands as the comments of "you shouldn't be in so much pain I wasn't I only had one or two attacks" really don't help. Thank you so much you've turned a very low day into a much more positive day smile xxxxx
    • Posted

When the registra came round to see me before the op she asked me how I was and I said " so Excited" She looked at me with a stange sort of is this woman mad ?  sort of smile LOL but when you have been through what we have had to put up with I dont think that was a bad description of how I felt right before my op smile Let us know how it goes I will be thinking of you x
    • Posted

Thanks I've even looked at private & putting my wedding back but I have been planning 2 years so I really don't want to do that I just keep saying 4 weeks lol xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.