Uric acid home test meters and strips

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey, last time I looked there were no such things, but apparently now there are!

There are meters that use strips on blood samples, like the blood glucose meters used for diabetes, and there are even saliva test strips, no meter required!

Apparently they are both pretty finicky but there seem some happy users of both.

Anyone here have any knowledge of them?

Apparently the meters have been sold in the UK for years, in the US just for one year.

Thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'd be interested here too as am on Allopurionol and it would be good to keep an eye...

• Edited

Hello, I was diagnosed with gout in 2017.

I am in my 30's and have a very mild case in my toe. I still find it debilitating because it makes it hard to do the sports which I love.

I have been tracking my uric acid levels since Jan 2018 with with a BENECHECK 3 in 1 meter with great success.

I find that it is not enough to rely on doctor prescribed uric acid tests because the are few and far between, and the level of uric acid in the blood varies a lot.

I had a look and it does look like the are available on ebay.co.uk, or you could probably get one from your local pharmacy.

Have a look at this graph. The dark blue line is my self tests with the Benecheck. The red dots are blood tests ordered by my doctor.The Straight blue line is my goal. The light blue without dots is my running average.

Something I failed to do was run a test with the benecheck at the same time as I was getting blood drawn. This would have allowed me to better assess the accuracy of the Benecheck. I will try to do that next time I get a blood test and report back here.

What it does show you is that serum uric acid varies a lot and that when you don't do your own tests, you aren't really getting the full picture.

Regards

Andrew

• Posted

Terrific Andrew, thanks! The results look repeatable and correlate well with the lab tests - if the lab tests a little lower, just so it's predictable we can interpret the meter tests accordingly.

• Edited

Not a problem. From now on I will try and take a measurement at the same time as the lab test so we can get a better idea of how the results compare.

If you do get a meter I would be interested to hear how well your lab results compare to the meter.

Cheers

• Posted

I should, ... I meant to ... should get around to it!

Will report if/when I do.

Thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.