Uric Acid Levels

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there. I'm in my early thirties and have recently been diagnosed with gout. Anyway, my question. My uric acid levels were deemed high after a couple of tests, coming out as 4.98. Although when I've looked online this doesn't seem high at all. What does everyone think? Are these levels to be concerned about? Plus, is it possible for me to permanently lower these levels without drugs. I am already vegetarian but have increased my intake of water as I fear dehydration may have contributed to the attacks I have experienced. Thank you. Any positive advice appreciated.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Not drinking enough water will certainly be a big factor.

Did they take the blood test during an attack (if yes 4.98 is very high). 4.98 is not high •for someone without gout• - if you've had gout attacks you want to be as close something like 2.5 (but not lower). If it were me I'd want to be lower than 5 for sure.

As a vegetarian .... I'm afraid all the low-hanging fruit for diet control has gone.

I'd try drinking a cup of water every hour - see if that sorts it before you take the drugs.

Do you drink beer? That is bad for gout. What about fish?

• Posted

Hi. Thanks for the reply. The blood tests weren't taken during an attack. I do drink beer but am in the midst of a two month no alcohol at all test (my idea not the docs) to see if that does anything positive. I don't eat fish.

With uric acid, is it possible to get the levels lower and then have them stay that way?

I guess what I'm asking is, is gout reversible?

I'm thinking about it all the time and it's got me quite low

• Posted

I've had two proper attacks. Both of the attacks had a few similarities (although the first was very, very painful and the second more of an inconvenience).

The first time I walked a lot (a 2 hour stroll in office shoes), used the treadmill, drank alcohol and definitely didn't drank enough water. The second time was a similar set of circumstances.

Between attack one and two (a period of about a month or so) I had a few occasions where I drank alcohol and nothing happened, which seems odd.

Just wish I knew how this thing worked

• Posted

First Andy there's no need to be depressed about it. Gout is very controllable and will be no more than a minor inconvenience. It may even make you healthier by keeping you off things like beer.

Five last questions / suggestions - do you drink sugary beverages e.g. Coca-Cola or other? Secondly what is your BMI (are you overweight?

Do you have any blood relatives with gout? Do you take any medications regularly (even aspirin)? Can we assume that your gout attacks were in your big toe?

If you drink plenty of water (especially so if you live in a warm climate), knock out the beer for sure and most alcohol, avoid wheat and sugary drinks .... maintain a BMI of under 25, you •may• just avoid further attacks without medication.

NB IF you are overweight, as you slim down it may exacerbate the gout until a stable body weight is reached.

As for exercise (a good thing in itself), I am unaware of any research indicating that it will help gout per se; although it may help indirectly by helping maintain a lower body weight.

• Posted

I've never drank fizzy drinks apart from as mixers for rum etc and that will only be a couple on the occasional work night out. I'm definitely not overweight, have quite a slim build. I thought I was already pretty healthy; I have an active job where I am on my feet all day, I eat well (being vegi I always take plenty of veg etc) and attend the gym once or twice a week (joined about 12 months ago). Thing is, I've actually gone to the gym less frequently since the diagnosis a month or so ago as I've felt so awful.

• Posted

There is so much missunderstanding about gout. There is an old falicy indiacting that it is the desease of kings, well it isn't. 90% of people who get gout get it as a result of genetics, and the remainder is joint truama. NOBODY gets gout as a result of diet. That said, a bad diet when you are a gout sufferer certainly doesn't help. I get so annoyed when people beat themselves up when they get gout, as it is only another form of arthritis

I am a life long vegi, I don't drink alcohol excessively, and I have sugary drinks. I am not over weight, and I am very active. I was unfortunate enough to have damaged a joint on my right foot 30 years ago, arthritis set in, and now gout just loves to live there. It's a horrible condition, but it's not your fault

• Posted

Hi. Realised I didn't respond to each bit. I've got no relatives with gout (as far as I know), although I think other forms of arthritis may be there. I don't take any meds regulalrly (ibuprofen for headcahes and when my foot has swelled though). And yes, it was my big toe that was predominently affected (swollen), with the underside of my foor feeling especially tender etc. Thanks again for the response.

• Posted

Thank you so much for this response. I've felt very anxious, down and frustrated about the whole thing, the line about people beating themselves up felt particulalrly relevant. "It's a horrible condition, but it's not your fault" was good to read.I've gone over what I should/could have done to avoid this happeing again and again, to the point when I'm having trouble sleeping but worry never solved anything I guess. Thanks again for the words.

• Posted

It sounds therefore like it's your genes. As a vegetarian you have the ideal opportunity to control it through diet. As for feeling bad about it - as diseases go it's at the real easy end. IF ultimately you have to take a tablet every - millions of people take them without a problem. If I were you I'd get back to your regular exercise routine (and if your toe hurts try swimming), as nothing lifts mood better than exercise.

• Posted

Hi Andy, a few years ago after suffering a gout attack, and a few tests my doctor warned me that I wasn't producing enough red blood cells, that my oxygen levels were low, and that I needed to exercise to keep my blood circulating to produce more oxygen. At that time I was feeling like a had a little bit of discomfort from gout but not enough to keep me down, so I started exercising with low impact cardio, and stayed hydrated; this to me has helped me to keep gout away for 15+ years. Of course, I don't consume any alcohol, try to stay away from wheat, certain fishes, like herring and high fructose. Wheat in the form of rye, or just wheat bread bring on enough discomfort that I can tell will give me a gout attack if I don't tackle it before it worsens. Thereby, exercise and paying attention to your body is key to controlling an onset of an attack. Do you eat much wheat?

Since exercise has always been a part of my life, I've only had gout attacks 3 times in my life, the last two happened when I wasn't exercising or having much activity, The first one was when I was a kid, drinking tons of coca-cola and doing point ballet which is unnatural for the feet.

• Posted

Thanks. Exercise is always reccomended but I've actually found I've attended the gym less recently as I'm worried the overdoing it may trigger a flair up. I'm trying to reintroduce it though. I'm very active in general, don't drive at all and walk everywhere etc. The listening to your body tip is good advice as I fear that when it happend the first time, unaware what it was, I did all the wrong things ie. went running with an already sore foot.

• Posted

The last thing you want to do is to put more pressure on an already inflammed toe, I would suggest you do low impact like ellipiticals and bike which put no pressure on your toe. Also, no aspirin and drinks lots of water too. Also, you shouldn't feel bad about something you can't control, especially when you have a predisposition to carrying the gene. May I ask how old you are please?

• Posted

4.98 is on the high side of average. It may be your gout is pseudogout, but this can't be determined without tests. I am also a vegi, and I don't have a high uric acid level, and I get gout as a result of an injury many years ago. Firstly you must remember that diet does not cause gout, it just hinders it when you are a sufferer. It's like any condition, if you need drugs to keep it under control, take them !!

• Posted

Another considered response. Thanks. I'm sinserely hoping I won't need the drugs (as it worries me) but the advice is appriciated.

• Posted

What 'pseudogout' by the way? Is this 'better' news than gout?

• Posted

Gout is uric acid crystals, pseudo gout is calcium crystals. The symptoms are identical

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.