Urinary Incontinance after prostatectomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All my husband had a robot assisted radical prostatectomy on 9th Nov. Today he had his catheter out. He is just leaking constantly. He peed ok till this evening when it was painful in the penis. Got him checked out at local hospital. No infection. Has anyone else experienced this? Have him doing his kegal exercises. Any advice please. His 62 Gleason 3+4 T2A

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I don't know a lot about prostatecomy's but just read today that Ben Stiller, the actor, seems to be doing OK after his was removed. There is a recuperation period, however where things may not work so well, so you have to give things time. I would check with his doctor if you haven't already.

Jim

• Posted

Leakage can last for months before continence is restored.  I would hope his doctor filled him in on the outcome possibilites.   If he is still leaking after a year or so, there is the option for some to have an artificial sphincter implanted. (Look up AMS 800  sphincter).  I will have that surgery next month, made necessary by a botched GreenLight procedure for my BPH.
  • Posted

Hi,

i had my robot assisted prostatectomy a week before your husband on November 2nd. My catheter was taken out on November 10th. Ever since after catheter was removed, I am leaking constantly especially if I am walking. I can not accumulate any urine in my bladder. Looks like your husband and I are in the same boat. I am 51 and had Gleason 7 (4+3).

Only good news was my pathology report. Ca contained to the prostate.

Your husband and I need to do Kegels as instructed and hope that day will come when we will be dry and normal again. 

To be honest with you, I already regretted having surgery. SE are terrible and I usd to lead life like I was in my mid thirties. My wife is very supportive and constantly reminds me to be patient. I have hard time to accept this as my new normal.

But I take one day at the time and hope for next one to be better.

MK

• Posted

This doesn't help the problem, but as I posted in response to another message, Costco ships Depend pads and pullups to you home with no shipping charge.   Good luck to you and auntiebeanie's husband.  Incontinence is an aawful thing to deal with.

• Posted

Thanks Glenn, his supposed to get supplies free from the local continence service. But will bear this in mind 
  • Posted

As an alternative to depends, consider condom catheters, sometimes called "external cathers", "stadium catheters", or "stadium pal". Unlike a regular catheter, you wear them on the outside like a condom. The urine then flows into a bag which is hidden under the clothes and can be emptied. 

Jim

• Posted

I am sorry to hear that. I have PCa and this is the reason for which I refused

radical prostatectomy. But it finally got me because I had to have TURP and

I am now totally incontinent.

Your husband is young. Try to seek help like Kegel exercices with a coach.

It might help, but only "might". Best!

• Posted

He sees the incontence nurse next week, so will hopefully get some more advice and help, Thank you xx
    • Posted

He is definitely still early in the recovery process for a radical prostatectomy.  I've been told that some men recover bladder control after 6 to 12 months following the procedure.   Assuming the external sphincter is intact, along with the nerves, he hopefully will gradually improve.

• Posted

I want to direct you to a paper about continence after a radical prostatectomy.  Do a google search on [cecilia lacks, PhD continence after] and it will return the link.  It's called "Dr. Catalona Discusses Continence After a Radical Prostatectomy."  It will give you a lot of insight about the procedure and the recovery process.

It's a really helpful paper in my opinion.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.