Urinary incontinence

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been suffering from urinary incontinence for a few months. I was given blood tests, which came back clear, although one showed a slight problem with my kidneys. I had a bladder scan and this showed that my bladder is working okay, but is taking a while to fill. My doctor has never examined me, she justs asks me what's wrong and recommends medication. I told her that I have pain in my pelvis and groin area. She said okay I'll prescribe you detrusitol and wear a pad and we'll see how it goes. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing the incontinence. I'm only 39 and male and I am generally quite fit. I worry about people being able to see my pad and this is really getting me down. The incontinence happens nearly every night and sometimes during the day. The idea of being on medication and wearing pads for a lengthy period is making me anxious and depressed.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kevin1975 I am two years older than you and I am in the same situation as you my doctor didn't give me meds but sent me to a incontinence nurse due to the fact I had drunk anti-freeze which caused issues. I can say that as you have to wear pads the best thing is to wear loose fitting items if you feel that the pads( I have too wear all-in-ones(or what they really are adult nappies) ask for the stretch pants they will make it nice and tight). I understand well about not going out in them when I first had to wear them I stayed in I lost my girlfriend as I didn't think she would understand my problem but after a while we talked she said if we had talked when it happened she would of understood(my biggest regret) so please don't feel down it's only a fact of life some peoples bodies don't work so well. 

Chin up 

Richtanman 

• Posted

Hi Kevin1975 I'm sorry to hear you are not getting many answers. Have you been trying the medication for some time with no benefit? I also found when my problems first started that it was hard to get things looked into and I really had to be persistent to ask for help, which isn't easy to do with a problem that we feel uncomfortable about. If one GP isn't helpful is it worth trying to see another at your surgery? In the end I was referred for investigations but I did have to keep pressing for it and felt that for quite some months the GP didn't really follow the extent of the issues I was having. Hopefully persistence does pay off, not that that helps it to be any easier right at the time sadly, and I'm sorry to hear you are having difficulties. I also feel very down about having to wear pads and needing them all the time but try to see it as the best way to deal with the problem at least for now whilst trying to find out what is causing the problem and whether there's a treatment that can stop it happening. Like taking tablets it's another way to manage the symptom so that it reduces the impact and inconvenience on your life. Sorry I know that doesn't really answer your question of what is causing it and I really hope you can find some answers from your doctor/s....
  • Posted

Has your doctor not suggested having your prostate gland checked?  I believe it's not a very pleasant test, but the problem can be helped if it's an enlarged prostate gland causing it.  My husband had to have the test because there were blood clots in the urine, but he was much older than you are.  Worth asking the doctor if that could be the problem though.
  • Posted

Hello Kevin,

Sorry to hear of your problems. Can't think why it is happening but I do feel you should press for a second opinion peferably from urologist. You can't take chances with kidneys. There is obviously some cause for this and it needs proper investigation so be firm. Good Luck.

Pat

• Posted

Thanks for all the advice. I've found a local NHS incontinence nurse near where I live, so I'll be contacting her/him on Monday. I have a sharp pain in my pubic area that feels like it's pushing through to my back. The urge to urinate is very sudden and it's a strong flow, but I never feel empty. My doctor has booked more tests in the hospital, but that could take months. In the meantime I have to wear pads 24/7, which is leaving me feeling so low and depressed. I wake up wet nearly every morning. A year ago I was running marathons, and now I'm paranoid to leave the house. 
  • Posted

Hi Kevin, sad to to hear your problem. Incontinence problem at a young age like 39 can be too embarrassing. One of my cousins met with an accident and yet not fully recovered. He can move and walk like before but have continence problems throughout night and day. Every month he has a set of Tena diapers delivered to his address from Age Comfort , Toronto.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.