Urinary Incontinence after Stroke

Posted , 3 users are following.

Is there a way to cure urinary incontinence after a stroke other than using adult diapers?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Adult nappies are a solution to the problem not a cure. If the incontinence is permanent they might be the best option. I am urinary incontinent and wear nappies 24/7. 
  • Posted

It depends on the cause, brain, nerves, just weak bladder muscle... medical checks and the kind of incontinence can help to understand that. Are you having continuous losses, small or big, or just full bladder loss at once?
    • Posted

The thing is I could control upto the full bladder state. After that, it is impossible for me to hold on. And this has started  happening after stroke
    • Posted

I have hardly any bladder control often I just don't feel the need to go and others I get about a minute's warning before I can't hold it and I wet my self. At night my bladder just empties at will while I sleep.

• Posted

That seems more overflow incontinence, like when the bladder is full the pressure is stronger and your muscle is not strong enough to keep it. If that is the case probably you can cure it or just improve it. Is it happening at night too? Did you check with the doctor about it? An urodynamic test could show easily the cause.

I'm sorry you are facing this situation, full bladder and strong urgencies are what scare me the most so I can totally relate. Beyond that how are you? Is that having a strong impact in your life?

• Posted

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Thanks for the suggestion on tests. Beyond that, I am still hemiplegic after 10 years of stroke. Is there really a cure for hemiplegia in this modern world with advanced medical field.

Would like to move on freely without an abnormal gait...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.