Urinary incontinence SOLVED With B12: My 4+ Year Journey to Finding a Solution (Male/34)

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello all! I'm a 34/male that suffered from a constant feeling of needing to pee, along with leakage and a few other BPH like issues. Recently, I finally found a solution to my 4+ years of struggles and this is my story.

It started with more frequent trips to the bathroom. However over a period of the first year, I began to have a serious problem which started to take over my life.  The feeling of needing to pee every 15-20 minutes was super frustrating for a young 31 year old.

I went to a urologist and got SO many tests. The first urologist put me on a round of antibiotics.  However, when that didn't work I went to a second urologist. I did tests such as a Cystoscopy, Urodynamic test, MRI (thinking it was related to lower back issue), etc! My urologist could not figure out what was wrong with me, and thought it could be related to how I sit (for work in a chair all day), or related to BPH or some other vague diagnoses.  He didn't want to perform any surgery on me (because I am too young and because of possible surgery complications). Since there were literally no more tests I can do, my urologist basically told me there only remaining treatments are medications..

At this point I decided I needed to figure out what the hell was going on with my bladder. I tried holistic treatments, acupuncture, massage, stretching, yoga, gym, Pilates, kegal exercises, dietary changes such as eliminating caffeine, eliminating spicy foods, acidic foods, etc. Although this did help, and improve my symptoms by 50%, I was still having serious issues..

As many of you may know, when you feel like you have to pee all the time, it can be debilitating to your life, friendships, happiness, etc. I felt determined to figure out what was wrong with me, but after several years of trying different things, I really was feeling frustrated with my progress. I still had to pee a ton, and it was becoming the main issue of my life (obviously).

So I'll get to the point. One of the things that was bothering me for the past 8 months was these tiny muscle twitches (mostly in my arms) that just came and went at random times. I didn't think much of it, or even relate it to my urinary issues.  Last month, I was visiting a friend and these twitches became annoying, so I FINALLY googled to see how I can find a solution to muscle twiching. One of the recommendations of muscle twitching is taking B12, since a vitamin B12 deficiency is one of the common causes. I sifted through my friends vitamins and found B12 and took a time-release capsule (Puritans Pride time-released b12 capsules 2000mg/day)..

Not only did my muscles stop twiching but it appeared that I didn't have the same type of urinary urgency!  Finally it CLICKED.. and I thought to myself "Perhaps muscle twiching in my bladder was making me feel the need to pee..(duh!)". I was shocked, happy, curious, but I didn't want to jump to conclusions or get too excited. Over the next weeks, I continued taking b-12 and also added other multi-vitamins such as Calcium/Magnesium, D3, and a male multivitamin.

My symptoms were NOTICEABLY better and improved, although it was not fully solved and I found myself still having some remaining urinary issues.  Then, a few weeks ago, I happened to pass by a vitamin shop and outside they had a sign "B12 Injections - $20" -  I thought, what the hell, let's get a shot and see if that helps..

Sure enough, a few days after getting the injection (which lasts 1 month), I actually felt pretty damn good about my urinary issues for the first time in about 4 years. THEN.. When I COMBINED getting the B12 shot with taking a daily b-12 supplement (I'm not a doc, I might be overdosing on b12 but it works for me).. I REALLY noticed an amazing improvement.

It's been a few weeks since that injection and overall I'm feeling like I've gained my life back. I took a plane home today and during the 4-hour airplane ride I didn't have to get up to pee a single time! It was the most incredible thing.. Truly joyful and .. WOW.. This whole journey has been an epic crazy, life changing , soul searching journey.

I just wanted to share this with you. I know MY issue is probably different then 99% of YOUR issues and probably won't fix your problem. BUT, there might be 1% of people reading this who may benefit. Honestly, I never heard ANY urologist (EVEN ONLINE ones) discuss B12 injections as a possible solution to urinary incontinence.

Anyway, I just hope all of you continue to seek answers and don't be afraid to experiment with all sorts of ideas to get to the root of your issue no matter if it takes years it's worth it!

Good luck!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Very interesting. Vit B12 injections are usually given for iron deficiency [anaemia] in UK,but certainly worth taking B12 by mouth if it helps.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.