urinary retention

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am back in the squeaky clean hospital in Canberra after three weeks of Foley catheters. The uroligist booked an over night stay and I am peeing in a bottle. The uroligist stopped by for a two minute consult. He was in his usual hurry. He advised that I should go when the urge strikes and then try to go again ASAP. Has anybody heard of this?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Its pretty standard with BPH. Often a second attempt will get you empty where the initial one didn't. Your mileage may vary

• Posted

It is going to be a long night. I am getting better at the double void thing. So far retaining the same. There is a phone app for the ultra sound scanner. Philips wants 2500.00 for the hard ware.
    • Posted

Hi George,

I've been using an ultrasound bladder scanner at home for about a year now. I'm pretty familiar with the various options, including used units, if you're considering one. I put together mine for around $1000. 

First thing, however, is do you really need one? Because it sounds like you should be learning self cathing if you haven't already. If you self cath, you will know your retention without using a scanner. I'm not saying that a home scanner isn't useful, but considering the cost always a good idea to think if you really need it.  

Jim

• Posted

I have been asking about self catching, and have ordered some catheters. Tomorrow I go to see Dr Schlapoff about PAE. His nurse was surprised that I was not self cathing. Perhaps they will assist.
    • Posted

Hi again George,

Which Phillip scanner are you talking about? They have something like you describe called the "lumify" but it costs $8,000 for the hardware and it does not compute post void residuals which you want, it just does an ultrasound of the bladder. If this is the one you're looking at, there are better options out there for bladder scanning. 

Jim

• Posted

It is the mobile phone one. I googled mobile phone ultrasound scanner and followed the link from Google play.

It does not look like something that is all that difficult.

• Posted

Can you private message me a link? The one I saw cost more than $2,500 and equally importantly only took a picture of the bladder but did not measure the retention. I have a bladder scanner at home so I've done some research into this which may be useful to you. 

Jim

• Posted

What is your diagnosis?
    • Posted

Hi Ben, So far no cancer, just enlarged prostate. The urologist is pushing a TURP, because he has a brand new davinci machine. I am going this Friday to see Dr. Schlapoff in Liverpool Sydney to see if I can have a PAE.
    • Posted

Two suggestions :

1) Don't have any procedure done before getting full diagnosis a urodynamics test. If your problem is your bladder no prostate procedure will help. Also, PAE only works if there is no enlarged median lobe. They will need a scope at a minimum to determine that.

2) Don't have a TURP done period. It's invasive, has a long recovery and many potential side effects. RE (dry ejacualtion) for sure. Impotence and incontinence are also in the mix. And something with no anesthesia with a very low side effect profile would probably be just as effective (PAE or Uriloft with no median love issues, FLA or Rezum if there are) where you go home that day.

TURP is outdated - lots of heavy lifting and permanent side effect potential with comperable results. Doing one on someone with simple BPH is borderline malpractice

• Posted

Between the urologist's tiny attention span, and the comments on the blog, I have pretty much ruled out a TURP! There are better options.

• Posted

Geroge, your uro, sounds like my old uro.  Always running from patient to patient.  Very hyper guy!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.