Urinary Retention- A Nurse Solution That Worked For Me

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am writing this in appreciation for a ER nurse who gave me the key to ending my pains of urinary retention. Hopefully someone else will be benefited. I suffered for several years with difficulty urinating. Twice I had to go to the ER to be catheterized.

The second time I went to the ER, the nurse who catheterized me asked me about my medications. Flomax, of course. "What else?" she asked. "A sleep aid I take every night," I replied. "That's it! Stop taking that", she advised. I did. And after the cath was removed at least 5 years ago, I haven't had the slightest problem.

The brand of sleep aid I took was "Simply Sleep". Its only chemical ingredient is diphenhydramine HCI. The chemical also is found in Benadryl and some Unisom lines.

If you have difficulty urinating and you are taking a med with diphenhydramine, try stopping that med. It might make the world of difference for you. I wish for you that difference.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

On the BPH site you don't want anyistamens for allergies or colds

• Posted

On the BPH site you don't want anyistamens for allergies or colds

• Posted

Yes, it's generally true that antihistamines can make the void difficult or neutralize the alpha-blocker action, if taken regularly, but I use Nyquil or Dayquil as needed during the flu or cold without much of the observable effects. Alcohol is much worse for your bladder neck. The retention is usually due to the too much urine in the bladder, which is located above the prostate. At some point it squashes the prostate and shuts down the valves. Keep track of a amount of liquid consumed, regular void, and keep a spare disposable catheter around, especially when on travel. That will spare you the trip to ER and usually some money and frustration. On the other hand, once you a re a couple times in retention that required a a catheter, it's the bell ring that you need to do something radical to your BPH. iT won't stabilize, preventive action won't save you one day.

It's time to do something before you have damaged your bladder an kidney irreversibly.

• Posted

Thanks. Good advice. Yes, the chemical you mention in the sleep aid that makes you drowsy is an antihistamine and they are well known for affecting the prostate in a negative way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.