Urinary retention - looking for help from those with experience in CIC

Posted , 14 users are following.

I'm not in urinary retention.

I am able to void but my PVR has gone from 89 cc to 389 cc. I was forlorn when I discovered this yesterday.

I saw Dr. James E. Lingeman, the foremost HoLEP surgeon in the US. It seems I don't have the luxury of time anymore.

I'm willing to try CIC, and guys here like jimjames and oldbuzzard have been helpful.

I may get a different urologist. The one I see is a great surgeon and the definite go-to guy if a man has prostate cancer. But with BPH and chronic prostatitis, I am not his typical patient.

Any suggestions on videos to watch for CIC?

I'd like to start with a smaller catheter. Does a 12 gauge sound right?

Are there videos on YouTube that teaches how to self-cath? I don't have a computer other than my work laptop so I can only watch them on my iPhone.

For the experts, can CIC cause the prostate to swell even more?! If so, wouldn't that make matters worse?

Does CIC raise PSA? If so, when do you go for a follow up PSA check?

Any tips on how to relax when doing it the first time?

Do you stand or lie down?

How do you know when you've reached the bladder?

I know I have a lot of questions. I greatly appreciate any help from you men.

Thank you.

Michael

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, Michael, CIC does raise your PSA I stand doing CIC whatever is most comfortable. Since you are not in retention and have a N.V. why do CIC?You will know when you reach the bladder urine starts to come come.Be sure your DR or nurse shows you how to do this. ASk if you need a coude tip as well.

I hope this helps. How old are you Michael

frank,

• Posted

Frank,

What does "N.V." mean?

I was thinking CIC because a PVR of 389 cc scared me. I wasn't sure I could make it to HoLEP surgery without needing a catheter.

I'm 61.

I take 0.4 mg Flomax once in the AM and once in the PM, about 12 hrs apart.

Thanks,

Michael

• Posted

Michael, Frank usually doesn't reply. NV means natural voiding, or peeing on your own.

Some people can pee some on their own before cathing.

• Posted

Oh, thanks Hank.

Yes, I can void on my own. Some days I have good flow, sometimes at night, it's just a dribble or very slow. I void better at certain times of the day.

I can empty as much as 500 cc at one time. I typically go 200-350 cc.

Coffee makes me pee more frequently, sometimes every 30 minutes.

I'm thinking of doing something (HoLEP) so I can sleep through the night and not worry about being near a bathroom (or going into acute retention).

Michael

• Posted

I agree with Light1 have your doctor or one of his nurses who specializes in it show you how. They all gave you good advice here, if you can afford it get the pre-lubricated ones - less chance to get a UTI that way and it's all over with in less than a minute, with cheaper non lubricated you have to apply gel, worry about all surfaces being clean, it used to take me about 15 minutes and just made me nervous thinking about UTIs and just taking so long.

I insert standing up, pushing down into the shaft which you hold in left hand facing upwards, hold the catheter with right hand guiding it in slowly downwards, and when you feel the resistance take a deep breath and push it through slowly but firmly, doesn't hurt much and you quickly get used to it.

What do you do for chronic prostatitis and how did they diagnose it? I suspect I might have that.

• Posted

I am "self-diagnosing" my chronic prostatitis.

I did go for 12 months of pelvic floor physical therapy. It helped me be able to sit for longer. And it lessened the frequency of episodes.

My common symptoms: burning in perineum and rectum, increased difficulty in voiding, pain after ejaculation.

Those are classic of prostatitis.

I take natural supplements including garlic extract (if you PM me, I can give you brand name) and oil of oregano capsules, since both are strong anti-microbials. I also take Curcumin and Quercetin. And sitz baths help. When taking a sitz, I apply pressure just behind the scotum with one or two fingers for 20 seconds and exhale slowly. I then move back toward the perineum and do the same. I repeat about 3-4-5 times while in the tub. I was told it's an acupressure point.

Michael

• Posted

Thanks Michael thankfully I don't think I have the symptoms of chronic prostatitis from what you wrote. I hope you recover quickly, I don't know if anyone answered but as far as self cath and PSA levels, I think if you are doing it 3-4 times a day it can cause it to go up, especially if you are not good at it, but if you get good at it and do it once or twice a day I know from my own experience it does not raise my PSA which is now like 1.9 and I've been doing it for like 2 years and prior to that my PSA was gradually going up to about 4. I did have a high readings of PSA when I first started doing self cath like close to 8 that is why I think it was because I was learning how to do it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.