Urinary tract infection recurrent

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I'm almost 16 and have been suffering from Utis every month for 4 months now. They always send them in for a culture and I never hear back from them. Do they test for stds in a culture? Any reason why I keep getting them? It's like a pulling in my bladder and burning in my urinary tract. I do everything I can do avoid them but I have one sugary drink or not shower for a day or two and I get one fast. I am also on birth control (I have the bar) and I take a antidepressant. Is my ph balance off? Also when me and my boyfriend , who was my first time, have sex we never use a condom. I pee before and after sex, but if I don't shower till the next morning after that I'll get a uti. This is just awful and so embarrassing.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

First, always call for the results of any tests your doctor has ordered.  These things are often overlooked.  So far as I know, a urine culture is looking for bacteria only, or anything that is a known cause of urinary tract infections.  Do you have reason to believe you might have an STD?  If som PLEASE talk to your doctor and have the proper tests.  An unteated STD can cause much damage, up to, and including, infertility.

Sugary foods/drinks can certainly up the odds of a UTI, especially if you have become prone to them.  Sugar also increases the possibility of a yeast infection and, presuming you have been on antibiotics for your previous infections (antibiotics kill the good with the bad and a yeast infection is always a possibility).

Before having sex, always make sure both you and your partner have clean genitals and clean hands.  

I really don't think waiting to shower causes a UTI since you've said you urinate both before and after sex.

Also, never be embarrassed when you become sick.  Not a one of us who have these things asked for them so simply see your doctor when you have symptoms, follow doctor's orders and concentrate on getting over the infection.  Anything stressful increases discomfort and, since you state you take an antidepressant, try to be as calm as possible, abstain from sex while having symptoms/taking antibiotics.  In fact, your partner might want to get tested to eliminate the possibility that he's passing the same infection back to you (men don't always have the same symptoms we women do).

• Posted

Hi Hannah00719,

Hey from my previous reads on here, I believe it could be birth control period. The shot, bar and pill (diaphragm & condoms also) all seem to cause recurrent UTIs. I see a urologist tomorrow morning, my present antibiotic gone tomo too but it was5 days and did not do what is has done before. Usually I'm better the next day but I'm also nauseated all the time and feel like I'm starving after I eat. I do the showing, urinating, drink only sparkling waters and milk yet they keep coming back. I'm in RhodeIsland and fly to Georgia Thurs. morning, could this ruin my plans? The pains, not being healed. I may be having an ultrasound soon, going mention check kidneys before birth control pill so they can ruler kidney infection per stones or bladder stones or the picture, check serious stuff first because you don't say it, they don't see it. Good luck child.

• Posted

You should both wash before having sex. UTI's generally result from the introduction ofor bacteria that are at home in the bowels into the bladder via the urethra where they are able to multiply merrily. As they reproduce themselves every 10 minutes or so you must pee within this time frame to allow them to be flushed out of the urethra .I used to suffer from UTIs when I was young. I stopped wearing tights and tight jeans and and changed to old fashioned stockings and suspenders or popsox with loose trousers and the infections stopped.

• Posted

Shower before and after sex. I don't wear tight anything really, started wearing basketball shorts this summer because of sweating in the heat. We've Lol in my house shower mostly everyday. We should pee just ten minutes before sex? ThE will help allot? I hope so. Thank you Madge07350.

• Posted

Within 10 minutes of finishing sex. The sooner the better really. It is the action of sex that can push any stray bacteria hanging around in the perineal area into the urethra so peeing will flush them out before they have a chance to replicate.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.