Urinary Urgency for 4 years

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all!

As the title suggests, I've been struggling with urinary urgency for just over 4 years now and unfortunately we still haven't been able to identify why this is happening. More recently this problem has been making me feel quite depressed due to how severe an effect it has on my life. I've visited a urologist, neurologist, physiotherapist, and a therapist. Tests thus far indicate no evidence of infection and my bladder, kidneys, liver, and prostate appear to be functioning normally. A brain and spine MRI showed no significant signs of anything relating to my symptoms. Pelvic floor experiments did not help with the issue. Anxiety or stress do not contribute towards causing the urgency.

In terms of symptoms it's purely urgency - I do not experience any associated frequency or incontinence. There is no pain when passing urine and blood or discharge are not present. I'm able to sleep without any interruptions, however when I do wake up I have a rather pressing need to go to the toilet and no matter how many hours I sleep, the urge felt when waking up always feels the same.

So far the only things guaranteed to invoke this urgency include travelling in a vehicle (different vehicles have varying times as to when the urgency appears), simple physical exercise (for example going on a walk or mowing the lawn), and showering. The urge is not located in the bladder, rather I experience it in the glans/urethra. This urgency may disappear after an hour or so when resting, however most of the time the urgency does not disappear until I go to the toilet (note: I may only pass 10ml).

A urodynamics test identified that my bladder had the capacity of around 600ml before I received an 'ordinary' urge to pee (i.e. a sensation felt in the bladder). During this test the urge I currently struggle with did not appear until my bladder was filled past the 600ml mark.

Additionally, I can recreate a brief sensation of urgency when pressing just below my belly button, extending left and right until I hit my hip.

I have tried a varied selection of medication but unfortunately nothing seems to have had a positive effect so far. These medications include oxybutynin, mirabegron, and vesicare - all of which made it more difficult to urinate but didn't reduce the urge. Other medications such as duloxetine and pregabalin have not had any effect on the urgency.

I don't smoke and I do not drink alcohol that often - the last time I had anything was back in May. Alcohol may sometimes bring the urgency on, however it'll also drive it to a point wherein it feels like I'm wetting myself despite being completely dry.

In case this is of any help, I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis in early 2018. Around a similar time I began struggling with unrelated GERD-like symptoms which persist to this day, albeit partially treated with esomeprazole.

I have an ultrasound of my abdomen scheduled soon, however I'm curious if anybody might have an idea of what my issue might be or might be a result of? Thank you for reading my post

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I had a urolift a year ago but it didnt help so I saw a new urologist, he said my problem is my bladder and not my prostate and he prescribed miragone. I have been using the medication for 3 months with no results, I have appontment to see a new uro. Im at a loss as to what to do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.