Urinating Very Frequently

Posted , 6 users are following.

Lately, I have been urinating very frequently. I usually have a 20 oz. cup of coffee late in the morning which I have mostly attributed this to, but sometimes it happens to me even when I don't have coffee. I do also usually drink several bottles of water a day without eating a heck of a lot, so to me it made sense that I was going so often (sometimes several times within an hour). The pee is almost always clear except for sometimes after my coffee.

I do take multiple vitamins a day (a multi, milk thistle, green tea extract, and a probiotic) as well as a daily Testosterone (Axiron) treatment and Allopurinol for my Gout, but the frequent urination has become more common than usual. It doesn't hurt when I pee or anything, but sometimes I dribble a bit after I'm already done urinating and once in a while it feels like there is pee "stuck" inside, mostly after having sex.

I was in the hospital back in December because I was very ill and the doctors couldn't figure out exactly what was wrong and ended up chalking it up to a really nasty virus. While there I had tons of different tests done and my primary had told me that my organs looked fine and I was otherwise healthy. Because of this, I haven't yet persued another doctor appointment just yet.

Could I be experiencing a prostate issue? Worse yet, could it be prostate cancer? I am a bit worried as I am only 29 and of course reading symptoms and stuff online is really scary. Has anyone else had these problems?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

You have prostatitis it's the worst thing ever welcome to our misery I know I know I'm not a doctor but it is go to a urologistics and he will tell you when you felt sick it was acute now most likely it's chronic yay. You can try antibiotics and everything else I already have nothing works and seems everyone on here has bph...not full blown prostatitis . No known cure nothing worked for sure and here is the worst part your prostate won't be swollen so shouldn't need to make you pee etc at night right? Wrong even nor AL prostate size with prostatitis will make you pee and no one can answer me why ..so good luck keep me updated everyone on here is really positive so hope that can help I'm just Blunot and real about things.

• Posted

How much urine comes out on average each time you urinate? You can measure this easily with an inexpensive plastic measuring cup from the supermarket. 

If your're getting over 300ml per void then it's just that your probably drinking a lot of fluids. Normal. If you're getting very small voids -- 100-150 -- then it could be something else. If you want to go further, you could get some urine dipsticks on Amazon (I use the 10SG Siemens) and check your urine for infection, etc. 

Nothing you say suggests prostate cancer plus it would be pretty rare at your age. 

Of course, if you remained concerned see a doctor for a workup. 

Jim

• Posted

That could be your problem going alot with all the water your drinking But stay away for the coffee.  That is very bad for your prostate.  And at 29 you need it for a while  The green tea also.  Try to find a vitamin with out tea in it   Vitamin D is good for the prostate.  Hope you feel better  Ken
  • Posted

I had this too albeit age 49 at the time, I'd been peeing slow and dribbly end-phase for 6 years and having to go 2 or 3 times a night, too.  I lived with it.  It suddenly became acute and scarey, peeing all the time and feeling like needed to pee right after I just had.  Pee test done three times (A&E, or to Americans “The Emergency Room”, plus GP = doctor, plus urologists) showed no infection but often it is constrained inside the prostate and doesn’t show in pee test.  Apparently this was acute prostatitis.  Having established that bladder was empty (ultrasound in A&E), so I need no longer worry that it felt like it would burst !!, I would make an effort NOT to go aiming to “re-calibrate” my bladder; maybe though my body was slowly fighting it off.   In any event, I was within 9 days able to pee a mug (200 ml), instead of about 50 ml per pee.  I did have PSA 16.92, which is a scarey number and it’s only a lot of research since that has told me that it is perfectly possible, and indeed common, to have a PSA at that level or even PSA=50+, and it be prostatitis; if you are under 60, prostatitis is overwhelmingly more common, although 10% of new P Ca diagnoses are in under-55's (mostly 47 to 55).  Note also that prostate cancer is the most curable of all cancers, at 95%, I think, 10 year survival rate.   By age 90 half of men have it, or have had it, whether or not they know, why is why it does still manage to kill 3% of British, and American, men.  It is overwhelmingly the commonest cancer for us to have. 

At your age I guess the probability it is P Ca is miniscule.  By all means have the PSA test (they may refuse you it unless you pay; you can only demand it in Britain from age 50, on the NHS, under NICE guidelines as risk is so low under 50), it will be high, then you’ll feel compelled to have the biopsy, hopefully it won’t give you sepsis (2% chance from rectal biopsy), then cancer will be ruled out (if you have an MRI after a bad PSA result, before the biopsy, if the MRI is clear you need no biopsy.  If the MRI is not clear it is still vague – my MRI was bad at 4/5 – and you still then need a biopsy.  The NHS will go straight to biopsy, usually no MRI). 

I had cystoscopy, my little 22cc prostate was pushing up on bladder base, antibiotics are so rubbish he didn’t try them at all (urologist) and neither did GP.  Urologist offered HOLEP or clips (Urolift).   I went for HOLEP as it is a more enduring and reliable solution, and am very pleased with the result – I can hold up to 500 ml (but always over 220) and go either once (max) or not at all overnight, and I can now pee at 36 ml/second.  He took out 12 cc of my 22cc prostate and if there is still any chronic prostatitis it cannot affect me now, this will last for life.   However I no longer emit much semen (I was warned, at age 50 I don’t mind).  At your age you would probably not want HOLEP, TURP or Greenlight, as that would leave you unreliably-infertile, although my Urologist lately has been posting that he can now do ejaculation-preserving HOLEP, which wasn’t on offer from him in June 2016.  That means he would have to avoid removing any tissue from near the bladder neck area, you would still get the flow rate improvement but you might,  I speculate, not get such improvement in the frequency issue if you have it, as the frequency issue is from top of prostate pressing on bladder and if he can’t cut stuff out of top of prostate (to preserve ejaculatory bladder-blocking sphincter that is normally destroyed in HOLEP TURP or GREENLIGHT), then he maybe (I speculate) can’t solve as much, the frequency issue, if as a result of the modified techique, the top of prostate is still pressing up on bladder neck (bottom of bladder) which is the empty-full sensor area...

• Posted

Thank you everybody for the replies. I feel a tad bit better.

Another thing that has concerned me slightly is that I have literally just started the Axiron treatment (was previously on Androderm but it was messing my skin up) and almost immediately I have felt a decrease in my sex drive as well as trouble getting an erection.

Does anybody know anything about this? Could it be that I just started the treatment and my body needs to adjust?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.