Urination after TKR

Posted , 7 users are following.

After two TKR's I've noticed frequent Urination, especially at night, within the first few weeks of surgery.. So much that I would go to bed with a "little Johnny" next to me. Little embarrassing to admit and just wondering if I'm alone out there.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Did u have a catheter for your surgery?

If so that could be why .

I think these meds are making me pee at night. I hate I can't through 3 hrs at night without having to pee!!

• Posted

Yes, come to think of it I did have a catheter for both surgeries. Your probably right a combination of meds and the catheter. Thanks for responding. I didn't even think about the catheter.... Now I know, I'm just getting older.. Crap...

• Posted

Yes always happens to me too. Actually as I get older I never make it all night without getting up to pee but nothing like when I have had a catheter.

I have bad arthritis in back too and I notice when I pee too much I start getting worse muscle spasms. Dr said yep when you are low on fluids will cause spasm as does when I do too much & muscles try to splint my damaged areas in spine. Beside post procedure pain meds I take natural supplements trying to help my joint pain although my dr said it's a waste of money. When u r in pain u try it anyway . (Well I do). sux getting old and funny that it's all a vicious cycle. My knee has also left me with hip bursitis. My bad side also is messing with my ankle. I thought it was from the pin in from 20 years ago but dr said no bone is larger arthritis. When someone asks how are u ... I try to smile and say fine how r u! lol nobody wants to hear all my troubles .

Well hope you r doing well with your new knees !!

• Posted

I just had a TKR and I literally cannot sleep cause I have to pee every 20- 40 Minutes, some more !!! its so frustrating 😫

• Edited

How long ago was your TKR surgery? Urinary frequency is one of several symptoms of a urinary tract infection (along with painful, burning urination, blood in urine, back pain, etc.).  You should call your primary care provider and have them check you to make sure. Lab tests will confirm this. If your body is trying to fight off any kind of bacterial infection following knee surgery it would be best to get it treated ASAP. Your immune system can be weakened following surgery and much more susceptible to infections. Urinary catheters have a high incidence of causing this, among other things. Better to get checked and have it be nothing than to leave it untreated. Good luck!
    • Posted

Thanks Deb for the reply. Surgery was 12/29/16 and I noticed the issue within the first few weeks of surgery. Things are back to normal now, but as I mentioned this happened with both surgeries. Come to think about it there was some burning in the beginning which I'm guessing was from the catheter removal. Anyway, thanks for advice and as you said it's better to be checked and be nothing then left untreated.

Brent

• Edited

This is very common. You have a lot of swelling (fluid) which has to be got rid of by your normal bodily functions.    As long as you have no other issues ( pain, burning, temerature) you will find this improves gradually as you have less swelling.
  • Posted

Hi there, I think I have made a rut in the carpet from late night trips to the loo!

But that's not just from the surgery, maybe just a little more frequent!

Oh what fun it is to get older!

No more sex, drugs & rock n roll. Just slippers, cocoa & a Hob Nob!

All the best

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

No, not alone.  After the TKR, the first night I needed a pee ten times. . . and that's no fun on the first night of aTKR!  it laster until I managed to get an intibiotic to clear it up . . painful, unpleasant and a d . . . d nuisance!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.