Urination issue

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have recently been having some Urinary issues and it's driving me insane. On the 14th of May 2018 I had an intense urge to urinate during an exam. I went to the toilet and barely anything would come out but there was a small amount of urine. I went back to the exam and as soon as I sat down I had the same urge to urinate but it felt slightly more intense. I asked to go to the toilet again (which was rather embarrassing considering I only just got back) and was told I needed to wait due to only one person allowed to use the toilet at a time. The intensity got slightly worse and I came over with some panic attack symptoms as well. I told the lecturer I felt ill and really had to go, I was allowed to go and when I got to the toilet I barely urinated again. I went outside to try and calm down in case it was an anxiety attack or something and the feeling hadn't disappeared but mostly subsided so I tried again. As soon as I sat down again the intense urge came back again...

This has now been happening since. I almost constantly feel the urge to pee. I have recently started to get lower stomach aches which I have started taking paracetamol for. (The aches wasn't exactly painful, more uncomfortable than anything). Sometimes I'll get the urge and get to the bathroom and so little will come out, with a push I can get some out but it's still normally a trickle. This seems to happen some what of about 10-15 times a day. I have also a couple times had a slight pain when peeing (it was as though somebody was pushing their thumb into my lower stomach area). 

The confusing thing seems to be that this has all seemed to appear out of nowhere. I never had any issues before the 14th and now I've almost become obsessed. I've barely been out because it seems to get worse when inside a car for more than 5 minutes or walking for about half a mile. I'm unsure if this is down to an infection and the movement making it feel worse or anxiety. I am also unsure if anxiety has lead me to completely image and believe my symptoms. I didn't have anxiety before and wouldn't have described the anxiety from the exams to be any more than "normal" for a student at this time. 

I have been to my GP and told to do a Urine test which I am still waiting for the results even a week later.. The GP also said it seems unlikely to be positive because it seems unusual as it gets worse when going out. 

Any information would be great.

Do you think this sounds like an actual infection or purely in my head?

How can I try to suppress the urination urges even when I know I don't actually need to relieve myself?

What do I do if my urine test ends up being negative?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Shane,

My symptoms also started overnight.  My results would come back negative for infection then positive then negative.  I ended up having an esbl bacterial infection which I think ruined my bladder but I cant be sure thats how it happened due to the frequent negative results.  It is ABSOLUTELY not it your head!  My doctor tied to tell me that, but nobody who hasn't lived this could'nt possibly understand the anxiety that comes with it.  constantly wondering if I can make it from once place to another,  I was urinating every hour sometimes every half hour and that was 24/7 .  I was put on several different medications for overactive bladder that not only did'nt work but had some pretty awful side effects.  I was offered Botox injections into my bladder and it was scheduled, but I ended up in the hospital with the infection for a week and was feeling better but days later the symptoms returned.  I was scared to do the Botox because I was scared that i would have to self cath and the potential for infections doing that.  I did my research and opted for the Interstim procedure and I am on day 6 of the trial.  It has totally taken away my frequency and that terrible urgency.  However, your symptoms do sound like an infection.  Please keep me posted on your progess...I am having the permanent surgery on Tuesday June 5.  Hoping yours is just a simple infection and it gets treated properly.  Make sure they send your urine for culture which will show exactly what kind of infection you have so it will be treated with the correct antibiotics.  Being treated with the wrong antibiotics can make things worst.  let me know how things go :-)

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.

It's nice to know others are out there. I have been checked, waited just over a week for the sample to be tested which should have been 3 days. Now been told I need another test however was not told why just that another sample was needed. 

God knows whether that means it's an infection that they want to check again.

• Posted

I think this means you do have an infection and that they are trying to determane the bacteria so it can be treated properly.  I pray for you it is not an ESBL infection as they are very resistant to antibiotics and hard to treat,  Keep on them because the longer you suffer with an infection the worst things can get with your bladder and kidneys.  I would ask what type of bacteria came up?  Dont be afraid to call your doctor.  Maybe they didn't send the initial urine for culture and they want to do it again to do that?  I would stay on your doctor for sure.

• Posted

Hi mate, if this isn't an infection it could be overactive bladder. Mine came on literally overnight whilst on holiday, waiting for the plane and being on the plane was agonising. Get tested for it, as well as getting your prostate checked...but don't let it be an obsessive problem either, I have and it ruins your life not wanting to go out, go walking or anywhere where there's no toilets....and car journeys well I have a mental battle with that. Don't take no for an answer, you know your bodies not functioning properly, get it sorted and good luck

• Posted

Thank you for your reply David. How do you try to not obsess over it? It's pretty much all I'm thinking about at the moment and I barely am able to go far without needing to pee. It's pretty much barely to the end of my road.

• Posted

I am also curious as to how you could not obsess with it?  I mean I would have to plan my route every time, figure out where public bathrooms were and honestly I was so desperate I would push an old lady with a walker out of my way to get to a bathroom (not really but I would swiftly move around one) lol.  But thats how desperate I was and the urgency was ridiculous,  Gave me 2 seconds notice that I had to go, I could'nt sleep it was effecting my work and this went on for months.  i was never so depressed.  I have been through cancer and chemo for lymphoma and that was a walk in the park compared to this.  So how did you manage to win the mental battle?

• Posted

I know the feeling.  I could not make it to my local CVS back to my house (15 minutes).  I stopped going out and leaving the house and even wearing diapers, I could not allow myself to pee in them.  Have you tried AZO?  It is an over the counter medication that can help give you a little relief for your frequency and you should be able to get this at your local pharmacy??  
  • Posted

So, I have been put onto Antibiotics so it would seem obvious that I had an infection. I have been put on Nitrofaurantoin for a week. I seem to be getting less intense urges to urinate but the frequency of actually passing urine has gone up a lot. 

My entire lower abdomen area feels rather sensitive and temperamental, this is noticed as I need to urinate less than 15 minutes after drinking a glass of water. I'm also getting somewhat constipated. These may just be symptoms of taking the antibiotics though. I'm only half way through the course so hopefully I'll be sorted by the end of next week.

• Posted

Shane,

I am so glad they are treating you with the antibiotics.  Those are actually pretty good.  I would be curious to know what type of bacteria they found.  I think it is important to know these things.  You should be taking some probiotics for your stomach because when your on antibiotics it not only kills the bad bacteria, it also kills the good bacteria.  Make sure you take all the antibiotics even if you are feeling netter and if youre not feeling much better in 3-4 days I would contact your Dr. 

• Posted

So I've had another doctors appointment. They had me do a bunch of different tests. I've done urine again, a swab, ultrasound, I'm scheduled for a blood test. I've had both ultrasound and urine already and both came up negative yet I'm still getting the symptoms. 

I did notice that when I went for the doctors appointment I had not eaten or drank anything since 6pm the evening before. The appointment was at 10am. The symptoms was no way near as bad and even though sitting down was rather uncomfortable, standing was manageable. The feeling was still there just not as bad as the first doctors appointment. Do you think this could play into anything in particular that an empty system of any water or food made me have a much lower urgency feeling?

• Posted

I wish I knew...for me it doesnt seem to matter how much I drink or eat or how little I eat or drink.  The condition itself has brought on anxiety that I never had in my life.  I try to relax, but when you get that urgency, everything tightens up.  I had the Interstim put in and the 2 week trial went great, was getting 3 hours at a time which was like a vacation, but now that the permanent one is in place, I feel likee I am back to square one.  I had stopped drinking almost completely thinking it would help but it only made my hair extremely brittle like it was falling out and it didnt help lessen my urgency or frequency.  I still dont understand how this could happen and start overnight and literally it was overnight.  All my tests had come back negative as well.  Do you seem to have any air in your bladder?  
    • Posted

Low and beyhold I have yet another uti.  Waiting for culture results to see what type of bacteria it is so it can be treated.  I just dont understand why I am getting these uti\s as I never had uti's all my life.  At he end of a very short rope.

• Posted

Spoke to the doctor again and turns out I my sample was negative even though I was put on anti biotics... God knows why...

Got another appointment tomorrow.

• Posted

Im curious to know what your results end up being.  Many trimes these urinalysis show negative due to being on antibiotics.  I had the Interstim trial which was working great was getting 3 hours.  Now that the permanent one was installed I am back to every hour or less.  I am so upset, depressed and exhausted i dont know what the next step would even be,,,
    • Posted

So the issue is still not resolved. I still don't have a diagnosis either. I have been through so many tests it's getting beyond it now. Had near 4 urine tests, 2 swab tests, 2 sets of blood tests that took 3 vials each time. Urine samples have shown nothing, swab was originally positive then after antibiotics was negative and the blood tests are being tested as we speak. 

I've also been referred to a Urologist as the GP is out of her depth with ideas now. She told me that it could be Neurogenic Bladder but couldn't give me an actual diagnosis as she has no means to test for it. If the urologist comes back with nothing either, then it's likely going to be linked to anxiety and likely put on some medication to see if that solves the issue. Many will say that it's a bad option due to side effects, but if I need to deal with side effects to even get some quality of life I will take it. 

SassyKJ I can understand you feeling upset and depressed. I have moments of feeling depressed, but it's important to remember that this will get better. There is always a light at the end of the tunnel, no matter how hard it may be to see. Never give up hope. Sometimes, that is all we have. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.