Urine flow post robotic prostectomy

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a robotic prostectomy about 3 weeks ago. My catheter was removed last Monday. Since that time I have had a very slow stream of urine. I am wondering if this is a normal result and is it temporary / Everything I find on line deals wit the incontinent issue and no mention of this.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tommy:

I had a SRP ( Simple Robotic Prostectomy) this past August. Catheter was removed 10-days later and I had an excellent strong stream, and it has not let up and amazes me everyday. My Dr. stated he was going to give me a "garden hose," and he delivered.

By the way, I did not experience incontinence either. Couple small leaks here and there up to 6-weeks after when I coughed, sneezed, or tried to fart. I am now 3-months post procedure and I do not have leaks at all, not even dribbles.

Share more about your procedure and history. What size was your prostate before procedure and how much was removed? Have you been on meds?

Dave

• Posted

Hi Dave, which one of these did you have;

1. Open Retropubic Simple Prostatectomy
      2. Open Suprapubic Simple Prostatectomy or
      3. Laparoscopic Simple Prostatectomy

Thanks 😃

• Posted

Hello:

I am not familiar with these specific terms. My Dr. called it a Simple Robotic Prostatectomy. Procedure was under general anesthesia. Robotics were used to enter six (6) small incisions in my abdomen. My bladder was filleted open. The Dr. accessed my prostate through the bladder. He completely "shelled" out both lobes of my prostate, including around my urethra, and pulled the prostate mass out in one piece (200g+) through a larger incision right above my belly button. If you would like to see the mass, message me and I'll share it with you.

My nerve bundles, urethra, sphincters, and bladder neck were preserved and never touched or disturbed during the procedure. I left the hospital the next day with an indwelling catheter. Catheter was pulled out after 10-days.

Dave

• Posted

That would be door #3 - Laparoscopic Simple Prostatectomy! Sure, I'll PM you, would like to see that actually. My prostate is on the small side. I was on 2 valiums before cystoscopy, so never asked my prostate estimated size. Your Doc must be very good, as Laparoscopic Simple Prostatectomy with the robot still takes quite a bit of skill. I'm happy for you that "DAVECANPEEAGAIN!"

• Posted

Thanks. I am fortunate to have found the right Dr at a great facility. He told me exactly what he was going to do and proved it. In turn, I am now an evangelist for the invasive side of our options. We shy away from this and I can share firsthand that we do not have to be afraid of the word "invasive." At 61, I am now able to live the rest of my life without drugs, side effects, or the anticipation of doing something else later because I took baby steps first.

Dave

• Posted

My friend had scar tissue that caused him to have to go to the emergency room and get a cath. Just a thought. Probably need the uro to check it out.

• Posted

With my SRP, the bladder neck was never touched. Did your friend have a radical prostate removal, versus a simple robotic prostatectomy? There is a big difference.

Dave

• Posted

Sorry Dave - I got confused in terminology. Yes - his was removed completely. I now understand the difference. Thanks! Sounds like what you had is good choice for big prostates vs TURP or Laser. Did they do the urethra saving surgery on you?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.