Urine Incontinence

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi as anyone ever been to a continence nurse? I want to know what actually happens at the clinic.I'm very body concious and want to know what to expect before attending incase i can't go through with it.Do they only have female staff and how many are present in the room during examining? What do they mean by doing some investigations? can you be treated at home? Do u have to wee in front of them?Please be honest with me......thanks!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Total guess after research: It sounds like a nurse practitioner in urology.

If they're licensed and trained it's probably the same as seeing a urologist.

Similar to a gynecologist, there might be one staff member in the room for personal security.

And if your problem has to do with continence, of course they will test and examine.

That's why you're there, after all.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks Brainy!! never seen a urologist or anything before that's why i'm so nervous about going.....thanks!

• Posted

I’m a 56 yr old male who has had several visits with a Nurse Practioner who specializes in male and female bladder issues.  I have been incontinent since having prostate surgery that went badly two years ago.   I am first seen by a medical assistant who check vital signs and reviews my history (leakage episodes/day and amount of leakage).   For the first visit I had to bring two days worth of wet pads (I use pull-ups in the daytime and the diaper style at night) which they weighed to determine the amount of leakage.   Since then I weigh them myself or estimate.  After that I see the NP usually with the medical assistant present.   The routine has varied with a review of pelvic floor exercises always included.   The embarrassing part is the skin exam of my perineal and scrotal area since I had a bad rash at one time.  On one visit she taught me how to self-catheterize.  On a couple of visits she has done a digital rectal exam.  I hope this will help answer your questions. 
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Barry.Rectal examination!!! 😮is that for females too?😦

• Posted

Barry, I am a new member with apparently a very similar situation. This is all new to me. After recent robotic assisted prostate surgery I was left totally incontinent. However, if I am sitting down or reclined or sleep on my back I do not leak and if so very little. When I stand up or walk around my bladder drains immediately and totally. I am scheduled to see urologist and physical thearpy probably very similar to what your doing.

I am using Depends Flex fit pull ups and they are working but I have to change them 8 to 10 times a day (day and night). I tried sleeping in bed, but turned on my side and bladder immediately drained totally. The pull ups contained it but i got up and moved back to recliner. My question for you would be, what do you use or recommend for sleeping through the night. I would use a pad on bed and maybe an all night diaper but which one? Do you find a second cloth pull up over the diaper necessary to contain leakage Overnight? Have you found anything that may allow you to get out for a few hours? Like to dinner or play cards with friends. Drive around and sightsee? Any advice you may have would be most appreciated.

• Posted

I'd first go to Amazon.com to look for diapers and pad solutions. Lookiinto boosters, which are pretty important.

I have tried everything imaginable, and my most current success is with the Interstim therapy, a device that is implanted with minor surgery, MAJOR improvement.

I was in your position, and when I thought nothing would work, I considered catheterization as a very last resort. I know a close relation who lives with it.

Best wishes for you to find something that helps.

• Posted

Thank you for your response. Hope that new device continues to work for you. I wish you well and the best of luck.
  • Posted

The rectal exam that she gives me is to assess my pelvic floor muscles and determine if the exercises are improving their condition.   I don’t know if this is done vaginally or rectally for women.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.