Urine incontinent mostly at night

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

I am a 66 year old male who has recently become urine incontinent.  I had a kidney infection last year which has left me urge incontinent during the day.

My wife has bought me sanitary pads so I deal with this by wearing these daily and this works very well.  However, I weak the nappy style incontinence pants during the night, but I find urine leaks out through the sides as I mostly lay on my side whilst asleep.  Can anyone offer any other measures that I could take to prevent this leakage onto the bed sheets.  The nappy things fit very well around the legs so I cant seem to blame that.

Unfortunatley, I occasionaly suffer from diversticulitis and need to drink more water during the day to help prevent this occuring, and reduce my intake towards bedtime.

Thanks

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

The best way is to wear a cotton underware over the diaper then plastic panty over that
    • Posted

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

Do you mean like rubber pants which we put over babies nappies ?

• Posted

yes make sure you have the cotton in there to soak up any liq
    • Posted

Ok thanks.  I feel as though I am going back to my childhood.

I wonder how common this is for other men or women to wear rubber pants.

• Posted

I am a 50 year old combat veteran.  I am forced to wear diapers every day.  At least you are married.  Try dateing wearing  a diaper.
    • Posted

I guess from your terminology you are in the US. 

Wearing rubber (plastic) pants is not what I thought I would have to do, but I need to stop leakage into the bed sheets.  Thanks for your kind help and replies.

• Posted

Plasticpants over yopur nappies will keep leaks to a minimum.
  • Posted

I am an American.  You could put down a bed cover
    • Posted

Yes, I already have one thanks.
  • Posted

I sleep in nappies and plastic pants and have a bed pad to catch any leaks.
  • Posted

Hi colin47 I am a 42 year old sufferer and I found the same issue as I move about whilst asleep I found it easier to put smaller pads on either side of nappy(obviously on inside) so it captures the pee the main part misses I won't say it works all the time but it has helped quite a bit. I hope this helps in anyway
    • Posted

I sometimes do that and yes it helps. Sometimes I wet several times during the night or very heavily or maybe both and then of cvourse I leak. I have a kylie (water proof pad) under my sheetand the bed has a waterproof cover so leaks are not a problem really. I have long since got used to sleeping in a wet patch and it rarely wakes me now.
    • Posted

Your right about the wet patch the only good thing is in the summer it helps to keep you cool on those hot nights(I know it's embarrassing but I get better sleep in the summer time) I wish the people that make the incontinence products understood that a lot of people that have night time accidents are wrigglers in their sleep
    • Posted

Hi everyone

Thanks for your replies.

This is all new to me and I get some comfort from the fact that I am not alone in this horrible situation, because thats how it felt.

Is it just us men that suffer bed wetting like this, not having had babies ? 

This all started suddenly last year following a painful kidney problem, with blood, white cells and protein in my wee sample at the Drs.

After several tests at the hospital, they did not find the cause.

Luckily the tests are now clear and the pain has gone, but has left me with urine urge incontinence and nightime leakage.

This is very embarrassing and I feel ashamed that it has required me to wear a nappy at night.  My wife is very understanding and has encouraged me to buy rubber (plastic) pants to wear over the nappy.

I have my pride, but this has episode has shattered my personal confidence, as I would never have thought I would be in this situation now.  Hopefully, in time, this situation will improve and I may be able to sleep in the manner I have done all my married life.

Thank you all for your support.

• Posted

Use plastic sheets and a towel under the sheet bed linen.  Use another plastic sheet and towell above the sheet linen.  Use a pleated small towel under you underpants.  You have many lines of protection if the first small towel fails.  Sen the wet parts, likely the small towel for wasing.  If you eat Cranberries or take Cranberries pills the smell disappears.  Don't drink liquids before sleeping.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.