Urine infection but showing up negative?!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Okay so I feel like I've got a UTI cus I keep needing to urinate loads and not much comes out and it hurts to wee a bit and hurts when sit down/is just generally uncomfortable where my urethra is.

I've been to my doctors twice and they tested my wee and it came back negative for a UTI.

I got put on trimethoprim anyway , but it doesn't seem to be helping at all.

I don't know what this is sad

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hey have you considered interstitial cystitis? It's uti symptoms but is not caused by an infection. I have it but only very mild which gives me very similar symptoms to what you have described. I would come off the antibiotics if you have no infection as you may get one in the future and will need them and may become resistant if you take them unnecessarily.

• Posted

Because symptoms vary so much in patients it's very poorly understood. I don't get abdominal pain either just burning and frequency. It's also not known exactly what causes it, most people say they get it after a uti which is what happened to me. I contuined on antibiotics thinking it hadn't cleared but urine cultures showed clear. It may be good to familiarise yourself with it and try and see a urologist. Or if you've had a uti you might just have a bit of inflammation that may go down in a week or so.

• Posted

I had a UTI about a month ago and that went away fine (I'm diabetic so super prone to them) I then went and got really drunk a week ago and my bladder/issues have arisen since.

I do feel the need to wee a lot but I can suppress it but does feel a bit like a dull ache? Also I'm only 22 I've read on a lot of websites that it's more Comman in older women??

• Posted

It does sound like IC alcohol is one of the main factors of a 'flare' type in online things like alcohol, caffeine fruit juices etc. It's common in all ages I got diagnosed last year at age 20.

• Posted

Hi Anna,  If there is no infection or bacteria showing up then I would say there is not an infection.  The fact that you are taking antibiotics and you are not feeling any relief sums it up.  There are a few things it could be, IC is one and it can be triggered by hormones or lack there of, it could be from chronic cystits, basically there is inflammation in the bladder.  The other thing it could be is urethal syndrome, this too can be triggered by hormones, an injury, or if you are someone who sits a lot it can cause this.  Lastly it could be pelvic floor dysfunction, this is where the muscles in the pelvic floor become weak or too tight, from either a back injury or back issues, stress and anxiety, and age.  The bottom line is if there is nothing abnormal showing up in your urine, you want to find ways to treat they symptoms and heal the bladder.  Peppermint tea helps with flare ups, d-mannose helps protect from any bacteria sticking to the bladder walls, relaxation tecniques and avoid anything that can irritate the bladder, coffee tea, chocolate, and fizzy drinks.  I had to cut all that out for 6 months so my bladder had a chance to heal.  I hope this helps.
    • Posted

One more thing that popped in my head after I posted is it could be a yeast infection, they can mimic a bladder infection, it might be wise to have your doctor rule that out as well.
    • Posted

Okay I feel like the anti biotics have helped a little bit and I can control when I pee now/ surpress it if needs be. Just occasionally my bladder will not feel fully emptied and it will become a little uncomfortable at times.

I got very drunk a 2 weeks ago and then a following week and I think it has caused my bladder to flare up and mimic slight UTI symptoms. And I have eaten chocolate since and it hasn't flared

up. I am diabetic as well so I'm not sure if that counts for anything.

i also keep getting a weird feeling under my left rib cage, not painful but uncomfortable. I drank some orange juice and this seemed to increase :s

Anyway I'm in the process of booking a doctors appointment they're just so busy ATM , so having to wait it out currently.

• Posted

It's good that you are getting things checked out.  Being diabetic you have to take care of your kidneys.  There might have been such a small trace of a bacteria if you are finding some relief with antibiotics.  Antibiotics only kill off bacteria causing infection if it is something other than that then antibiotics would not treat a symptoms.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.