Urine leak after surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I had anterior and posterior surgery 20 days ago and although my recovery has been going ok I have one real worry. I seem to need to have a wee quite often I'm sure I don't have an infection as there is no pain or stinging and I have a really good flow. I am finding that I am having a few damp knicker moments, often as it sit down. I have been doing the pelvic floor exercises as instructed and was hoping things would improve. Has anyone else experienced this, is it to be expected and how long will it last ? I didn't have any problems like this before surgery and am finding it a real worry. I'm terrify of becoming a Tena lady !

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi nanny kin I had surgery for an anterior prolapse nearly 5 months ago and am experiencing the same problem. I don't know why this has happened but am seeing a physio who is giving me advice on how to deal with it. She has told me to avoid irritants to the bladder-coffee, citrus juices, fizzy drinks. She has advised me to drink up to two litres of water a day and to limit the number of times I go to the loo so that my bladder gets full. She also advises not to go "just in case" and to make sure I empty my bladder fully when I do go. Distraction techniques were suggested for times when you feel you can't get there quickly enough and start to pee before sitting down(I  hum or sing to myself.) The pelvic floor exercises i have been doing don't seem to help and at my last visit she suggested medication (has to be prescribed by a doctor) which can help. I'm reluctant to try this but may have to at the end of the day. It is a bit depressing but apparently a common problem.
    • Posted

Thanks Linda for your reply. I suppose it wasn't really the answer I wanted but at least I know what I may be up against . I am disappointed as the surgery may have solved one problem only to be replaced by another. I wasn't sure if o should go when needed or try to hold for as long as possible to that info has been a help. It's early days for me so things may improve. Hope they improve for you.
  • Posted

Hi nannylin. 20 days after surgery isn't that long and things internally are still recovering from your procedure. But you should talk to your consultant who can advise you. I had my anterior and uterine procedure just 10 days ago and have experienced occasional leakage but it is getting better and as your pelvic muscles get stronger I am sure this will help. But talk to your consultant. Good luck for a good recovery.
    • Posted

Thank you Jennifer I think I am probably panicking a bit as you say it's not long. I also have a creamy vaginal discharge which they say is normal (not smelly) so there is a lot of uncomfortable dampness going on ! I will be patient and keep doing the exercises.
    • Posted

Hi again. I too have a discharge which I was warned about and it is getting less each day. I think we expect our bodies to recover a lot quicker and it is easy to worry when that doesn't happen. But do talk to your consultant if you are worried. That is what they are there for and certainly mine encouraged me to do this at any time. Onward and upward!!
  • Posted

Hi Nannylin, yes, everyone's right, 3 weeks is still very early and lots of healing going on.

Linda is right, we shouldn't go, 'just in case'. It's something you're taught as a child, because who wants to hear that they need the toilet 5 mins after leaving home. But .. it teaches the bladder to want to be emptied before it's full. I wouldn't push that too much just now though while you're still healing.

A thing that you probably could start doing now is double voiding. When we pee there's usually a little left, so sit for another minute on the toilet, maybe even change position and swivel your hips a little bit, then sit and let those last drops out. That way your bladder is properly emptied. Apparently it's a trick the Royal ladies use, and it allows them to last longer while on official engagements! That may just be a rumour though.

• Posted

Thanks moira I will try that and if it's good enough for the royals then it's good enough for me ! I have been trying today to ignore the urge and wait. My worry was that I would end up with an infection if I held on too long. I wish I had been given more information before I was discharged from the hospital, this site has been amazing to get help from those who have been through it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.