Urine problems with no infection

Posted , 7 users are following.

I started having classic water infection symptoms around the 22nd of September. Very frequent need to go, and very urgent need to go. Dark orange colour (think Sainsburys bag) with a slight odour. I was on holiday at the time so obviously couldn't visit a doctor.

Around the 1st of October, the symptoms weren't going away, and if anything were getting worse. More frequency and urgency, colour getting stronger and smell getting stronger.

I was put on a 3 day course of antibiotics after a dipstick test showed I had some minor red flags in my urine (doctor didn't specify what the actual problem was) and was told if they didn't work, submit another sample. When the sample was submitted I was automatically given a 3 day course of stronger antibiotics (nitrofurantoin) as a precaution while the sample was sent to be analysed. Again, the antibiotics did nothing, and the test results came back, my urine is completely fine. No blood, just the right amount of everything else.

I have no stinging pain when going but occaisionally experience a pain roughly in the belly button area when I go. The frequency has reduced after being given something to ease some constipation, as my doctor suspected that might be adding pressure. However, the need to go comes on very suddenly and very urgently, and I've now taken a turn in the opposite direction; I get there and it's hard to get it out.

I also went through a spell of being desperate to go and absolutely nothing coming out.

I'm being sent for an ultrasound, but would like to know if anyone has any suggestions or ideas? Googling is yielding nothing as none of the symptoms for things like gallstones, kidney stones and the like match what I'm experiencing, and I'd like to know what could be going on.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi hun

i have had similar 

first drink plenty of fluids ..

i had a bladder camera and all fine, but had urges to go and feelings of UTI.

urge but nothing when i got there ..

turned out it was worse before a period ( hormone related and quite common) 

i was given tablets for when it happened .. Mine was an overactive bladder muscle spasming.. And i took Oxybutinon when this feeling arose .. Totally relaxed the muscle and good tablets ..

my urine was dark before i was told to drink more water and fluids ..

it mimics a UTI but mine was an overactive bladder muscle spasm 

all fine now 

jay xx 

• Posted

Hey love,

Thanks for the advice but I'm drinking over 2 litres of liquid a day as it is, think I might burst if I tried to fit any more in!

Hopefully it will be something like that and can be resloved with tablets

Sarah xx

• Posted

hi hun

well good luck 

2 litres is ample 😃

dont know what age you are but peri menopause can cause this too.

hormonal imbalance ..

take care 

jay xx

• Posted

I'm 19 so I don't think Im quite old enough for that yet haha! Sarah x
    • Posted

Hi Sarah 

😃

no probably not that then hehehehe

take care 

jay x

• Posted

Let us know how u get on hun. Iv had same probs went from frequent toileting to feeling the urge but nothing. All tests & ultrasound fine so awaiting a urogynea appt n hoping to get sum answers. I asked for meds to combat a overactive bladder thinkin it could b that but they wont give until iv seen hosp (still waiting!) This all happened for me a month after stopping the pill n the feeling almost completly goes during my period. So let us know how u get on x
    • Posted

Have any of the doctors you've seen given you an idea of what it could be? Or have they said if it's good/bad that the ultrasound didn't see anything?

I'm getting my ultrasound this saturday. Did you get your results at the appointment? It'd be nice to have an idea of what to expect.

Sorry it's taking so long for you to get answers though! Update us after the urogynea appointment, hopefully you'll get somewhere with that smile

I'm on quite a few different medications that list liver/or/kidney problems as rare side effects, so I'm preparing for the possibility that it's that x

• Posted

Hi Hun

just ask when you have your scan

ask if everything looks okay 

i am sure it will be .. dont worry ..

jay xx

• Posted

No they seemed to think all was good as nothing on scan ... i had to wait for the results but was only a day or so. I am really hoping that its a hormone thing but dr seems to think not. Let me no how u get on xx
    • Posted

Hello mini

Hopefully you will see this I have the exact same issue you have said and mine started after I stopped my pill

Just wondering how you went.

• Posted

Did you ever figure out what was going on? I went through a similar situation I was at the doctor almost every month getting my urine tested and they said nothing was wrong with me.. i had been going through alot of stress that time even after the stress went away the urine smell stayed that way I had also developed a red rash on my face i thought it was rosacea because of the stress i finally went to a dermatologist after a year because my doctor insisted waiting it out. He said it wasn't rosacea it was Perioral Dermatitis he put me on a medication and the urine issue is gone and my fave is clearing up

• Posted

I know you mentioned that some of the urgency were relieved temporarily when you took something for constipation but I still have to wonder if that is not your problem still. It may be that you are still impacted. I always have problems with my bladder and have even had a UTI when I had a severely impacted colon. An ultrasound will show this if they look for it so I would be sure that they do check that when they are doing your ultrasound..
  • Posted

Did this resolve? 

I had cystitis, was treated for an infection but still had problems. Anyway, they ended up prescribing me with lots of antibiotics (almost 3 weeks worth). Possible over prescription. Now they think my bladder is just really irritated (& possible tense muscles and overactive). Did it go in time?! Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.