Urine Stream: 2am v/ 2 pm

Posted , 13 users are following.

I've sort of alluded to this before here but never really had the question answered. Here's my problem:

Middle of the night. 2 a.m. (like right now). The stream is nowhere near what is in the middle of the day. i.e. It's as if the prostate has a grip on the pipeline such that 5 minutes or longer at the toilet (sitting, for the time involved), is standard -- and for a fairly paltry volume of urine intermittently released in short squirts.

2 hrs later, up again with the same routine.

DAYTIME, though, not so bad -- though hardly a gusher. At least the stream is there within seconds of the brain ordering it.

That's in the daytime.

But in the middle of the night awakened from sleep , good luck. Again, 5 minutes or longer of nothing...then a dribble...then nothing...then another dribble. And on and on.

Anyone experience similar? I am not TURP inclined right now and can handle the annoyance...but left wondering: Why daytime and nighttime differences? (My uro essentially dodges the question.)

Thanks for any input.

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Good morning Owen

I get where you are coming from. I don't know if it has anything to do with the brain. I think it is because during the day you are moving around much more. They at night you are laying down and there is really no movement

Also when did the getting up at night start. Sometime that can be just habit. Not say that is you. But even men that have had procedure done what to know why they still get up at night. If you do the same thing for 2 or 3 years it is hard to stop.

That is a very interesting and maybe we should keep a eye on it. Thank you Ken

• Posted

To answer your question: This has been going on for several years. The bladder discomfort is such that I can't ignore it -- waking up as I do. When I (severely) moderate fluid intake after 7pm, I have a better night frequency-wise. But still the stopped-up dribble syndrome each time when I do go. It's as if a nerve is being pinched and shutting down communication to the bladder along the lines of "It's ok. You can release now." BTW I do have years-long low back issues and am thinking of seeing a chiropractor over this. MDs just seem to shrug it off.

Thanks for your thought though.

• Posted

To clarify: if I do have a nerve issue, perhaps a chiro can figure it out.

• Posted

Good morning

Yes it may be something to look into. I think more men should be kepting a list of how many times they go during the day and at night.I just found out that my brothers doctor told him that he has a enlarged prostate. PSA 2.21 I told him he has been lucky all these years. He is 75 and this is the first sign. . This doctor put him on Dutasteride 0.5. I told him he need to go and see a urologist because of the side effect. Some he does not care about but it can cause him a lot of problem. He has had 4 heart attacks and he was just put on a pills for his A-Fib that just came back. He told me he does not get up at night. It all depends on what he drinks. This is his GP She is doing this because of his PSA is higher then the last one. I told him he may not need that he may just need something mild to relax the bladder. He told me at 75 he is not going to have any surgery at his age. I don't want his to mess up his heart.

Later my friends Ken

• Posted

PSA 2.21 is a damn good number, yes? Perhaps you were noting it as such.

• Posted

Owen

Yes I told my brother he is lucky that it is starting now. He will be 75 at the end of November. I told him to talk with the doctor to give him something else. He is really not having a problem. She just put him on Dutasteride 0.5 because of the PSA

Take care...............Ken

• Posted

I don't have an answer for you but I do know you're not alone. During the day I flow ~ 20 ml/sec. At night it can be just a dribble. I asked my uro about it, he had no answers. I'm sure its something life style related food/drink/stress etc but figuring it out is difficult

• Posted

I am similar ,my stream is a dribble first thing in the morning but improves all day till its not too bad before i go to bed .

Ive always found it odd and put it down to as soon as i start moving around something down there relaxes a bit and allows the flow to improve .

regards

Darren

• Posted

I have had the same. Slow after waking up to pee at night or when I get up in the morning. It improve quickly for some reason after I had my morning 4 cups of coffee and some water.

The interesting thing is I found that if I was driving and held off peeing till a stop down the road for 30 miniutes or so the same thing happened. Most of the time I would need to sit on the toilet since it took so long.

• Posted

Hmmm...and wow. Maybe there is a nerve involved here. You said the problem is after sitting for a long time. Pressure on the prostate, no doubt.

• Posted

I've been on Tamusolin twice a day for 5+ years.

I notice that if I refrain from urinating for say an hour or two (mainly at night while sleeping) I have a very weak stream when I get up. I does return to a more normal, but not perfect, within an hour or so.

Exploring options...not inspired with the Urolift procedure. Looked into the Green Light Laser, but not covered by Medicare and price is $20K +.

Still looking..

• Posted

HI Johnnyringo

just out of interest why are you not inspired by Urololift ?

thanks

• Posted

Johnnyringo

Good morning.

Yes that is something I would like to know.. Have you researched the Urolift. That may be all you need is to open up the prostate. It does the same that all the others do without cutting and also less down time

Ken

• Posted

it seems to me like a hit or miss procedure. I've seen two uros and neither were interested in addressing my concerns ...like RE! One actually said it wasn't important to him.

• Posted

Urololift is one of the few proceedures that avoids RE . Ken has had it done , he can tell you more about it .

• Posted

Hey Johnny

What you are saying is true with some doctor. They do not even think of it as a sexual function. And it is not important to him but what about you. A doctor should address the concerns of his patients

If that is a concern of your keep looking they are out there. You should never have to give up anything. Talking about me I feel that my ejaculation and orgasm go together. I will not live without either

Have a great weekendKen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.