URINE TEST

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am worried because my MSU test was reported as contaminated and the hospital secretary phoned me to say that the Consultant wanted me to repeat the test before my cystoscope.  I went to the hospital to provide another MSU and asked what a report of contaminated means but they were either unable or unwilling to tell me.  I am really anxious and any replies really appreciated. Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

MSU can be contaminated with epithelial cells from the genitals, or it could have been infected by mishandling of the specimen
  • Posted

Hi Lynn

The only time I have heard the expression "contaminated" in medical terms is when I was expecting my first baby in 1981 and I had to do a urine sample in the hospital. The nurse said the specimen was no good as it was contaminated. I enquirer as to what this meant and all she said was if something else gets into the sample say from the back passage, then a sample is labelled "contaminated". Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. I wish I had been given this explanation as a possible cause of the contamination. Hopefully I am worrying about nothing and I can have my cystoscopy as planned on 27th. Will keep you updated. Thanks again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.