urisheath pain and problems

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had a few problems with sheaths since starting to use them just three weeks ago. Today however was the most problomatic day of all. I have had to try various samples of cath to ensure that I had the most appropriate sized one for my anatomy. Has anyone ever had a vacuum like problem at the tip end of the penis,this happened to me today and to cut a very long and painful stiry short, my foreskin got sucked into the outlet tube of the cath and into the drainage hose, it was very very painful and as much as I tried i could not remove it. I sprayed heaps of medical adhesive remover over it but it simply would not release me, In the end I had to face the embarassment and call my 28 year old daughter over to help me. i was in tears at this point but no matter how io tried i could not relese my foreskin.As we tried to disconnect the drainage bag my fore skin got sucked further in. eventually i had to get into the bath and my daughter managed to manipulte the pipe and using lots of shower gel she finaly managed to set me free. A very painful experience not to mention having to ask my daughter to help.Has this happened to anyone, I am certain thai I cannot be yhe only one.May I apologise for my spelling and grammer. Anyone help ?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have been using the coloplast condom catheter (clear and latex free).   The real key is to having the right legbag and tubing.   The Hollister vented bag and the tubing and straps they supply are excellent.  The tubing is soft and flexible, and the straps are wide and keep everything in place on the lower leg.

I'm not circumcised, so the foreskin is a bit of an issue, but with the coloplast condom sheaths, I don't have any trouble at all wearing them all day.  (I did have one episode with an awful bag that came from a supply place in the city I live in.  I don't think they carry the Hollister.  So I ordered mine online and they arrived in about 3 days.

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply. I have had the optima from coloplast but I am now using the clear with aloe because they offer a more suitable size combination. I have had conflicting information regarding how and when to measure yourself. Things tend to vary quite a lot at certain times of the day and night. one person has sugessted to me that prior to application one should ensure that the anatomy is slightly optomised so to speak? I really am not certain if I will continue with sheaths in the futre, I can see the benefits most of the time, the problem is when things go wrong they go very wrong. As mad as it seems I think I would benefit from an expert to visit me but I imagine that is very unlikely especially down here in Cornwall.
    • Posted

I should make you aware of an issue I've had in the last few days.  I was having trouble removing the condom at night, and would spend a good 10 minutes in the shower slowly pulling it down.  The problem was mostly confined to the condom where it adheres to the top of the penis.  Then a couple of days ago, I fould  that there was a lot of adhesive, mostly along the top of my penis, that I could not get off.  I tried some alcohol, and then some oil to no avail.  I had also tried warm soapy water.  So for the last couple of days, I've been back to Depend pullups and pads.  (For the first day, I was finding the Depends sticking to the penis at bit.

I finally purchased the only adhesive remover available (in the form of indiviidual wipes) at the medical supply place; unfortunately it has isoprophyl alcohol in it which is not ideal for sensitve skin.

I did finally use a wipe,and a some hand cleaner like that used by mechanics (without any grit) and finally got to the point the stickiness was gone.   Today, I purchased a spray barrier that can be applied to the skin before applying adhesive.  I haven't used it yet, but hope that it will allow the adhesive to come off with the condom catheter.

Just another indignity of incontinence!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.