Uro-Lift non-surgical Procedure for Enlarged Prostate

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had the Uro-lift procedure to treat my enlarged prostate on 28 Sept. 2015 after more than 30 years on FlowMax. It works great! No more drugs, able to sleep 10 hours without getting up once to pee!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Well done. There is a Prostate Group here where your sucess would be better placed.

What effect did 30 years of Flowmax have on you and how much benefit did it give you and what side effects?

• Posted

The biggest issue I had when I learned that I had an enlarged prostate was that I could not sleep because of the urgency to urinate.  The name brand FloMax took care of that for me for close to 20 years; when I had to switch to the generic it didn't work as well but I did not want to have my prostate or any part of it removed.  As to the side effects, I attribute the reduction in my vision and possibly glaucoma to the pills. I also believe that the pills impaired my respiratory system.
    • Posted

I would like to know which forum you are talking about as the better place to address my experience with the Uro-Lift procedure.  I would like to help more men who are trying to decide on the best course of action for their enlarged prostate condition.
  • Posted

Hs Urolift on 7/28/15 so I've made the 3 months healing the doc advised.  Not a lot of fun the first day or two but never needed pain meds.  Frequency has been down to as low as once a night but usually its still 3-5 times a night.  Still better than the 20+ times a night before the surgery.  Was on Flomax, then the generic, for 10+ years...Doc had me stay on it for the first few weeks.  Between Urolift and no Flomax I now can pee like a drunken teenager and ejaculate like a 19 year old.  Very pleased.  Somewhere during the third month I stopped feeling the thingies they put in...before that was aware of them sometimes.  guess that means healing is complete.  I'm 71.  Guy at work is 86 and we were forever in the men's room together.  He monitored my progress after surgery and has now elected to get it himself.
  • Posted

Hello Arnie,

I too had the procedure approx 4 mos ago, however I am still on tamsulosin,   I see where you were on it for 30 years and was able to get off of it shortly afterwards,   how did you dr. know when for you to stop?     Are you in Cal.?

• Posted

I had the procedure done in Torrance California. The Dr. and I had discussed that he wanted me to stay on tamsulosin for a couple of weeks after the procedure just to be sure that I would still be able to urinate properly. I just waited 10 days and stopped taking the pills. It worked for me just fine. The whole purpose was to stop taking the tamsulosin because of the side effects (vision deterioration and breathing problems) while still being able to sleep thru the night. I didn't experience any pain after the procedure and I didn't have any problems with dripping or anything else. I'm just getting better and better as time goes on. I can sleep 10 or more hours at night straight through.I can  go for four more hours during the day without urgency to go.
    • Posted

Hey Arni, I see u are in SoCal. When I started looking for a doc there were only 5 or so in the state now it sounds like they are all doing it.

So anyway since you have been battling bph for 30 yrs, your bladder must have been holding a lot before you had to go in the past, are you still retaining after going to the bathroom? After I had mine done I was still retaining close to 400 cc but felt empty.Just wondering what your doc says about that. Mine says there is nothing I can do to get my bladder refirmed?? But some say they have done it.

• Posted

I've only seen my doctor once since he did the procedure. It was his first time doing this. I don't know what bladder refined means. Although I was able to sleep through the night using tamsulosin, during the day it was awful. I was constantly feeling an urgency to go and it was very annoying. A 1 hour or longer car ride required planning. Now I can sleep even longer at night and I don't have a problem during the day. I can watch a three hour movie with no problem. It's been a month since I had the procedure and I believe I will only get better. I see my doctor for a flow test in 2 months.
    • Posted

I would be interested in knowing if you have any post void retention and if you do what your doc says about it.

Thanks Arni!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.