urodynamic studies procedure

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been asked to do urodynamic studies in preparation for the HOLEP procedure. Just want to hear from anyone who has done this. I watch a clip of the procedure on YouTube and it looks more like a surgery without the cutting. Some comments says it is painful. I wonder if this is done under any anaesthetic. Thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Edited

James16058,

I've not done a urodynamics study, but I understand there is no anesthesia involved because they want to know how your bladder functions under normal circumstances. Anesthesia could affect the results so it is not provided. Good luck with your HOLEP procedure.

• Edited

James, it's not a painful procedure, just a little awkward to be "wired up and plumbed" by a nurse who you just met. 😃 The idea is to fill your bladder with a catheter pumping saline into you then see if your internal and external sphincters work properly when it's time to empty the bladder. I stood in a lab setting, wearing a nice surgical smock and nothing else. Sensors taped to the left and right of the butthole and a sensor lubed and pushed up the butt. While this was being done and I was leaned over a table, the nurse and doctor discussed the exciting new restaurants in town. Then, a thin catheter in the bladder and you stand up as they start the test. You call out 3 levels of sensations around having to urinate as the bladder fills then they allow you to empty. It's over in about 30 minutes. The results show if things are working or not. My urologist wanted to do to prove that the bladder valves were working right and the problem with my total blockage was in the prostatic channel and not with the valves.

• Edited

Many Thanks Michael, You actually makes it sound like it is fun! Looking forward to this

• Edited

Oh yeah, done this a couple of times - Nurse hooks you up with wires, similar to EKG for heart, except this will test the pressure in your bladder. A very thin catheter is pushed up penis into urethra. Maybe the worst part tape is used on penis to hold it there... Sensor probe inserted into rectum. OK you're all wired up and - I was invited to sit down and pee, on this little plastic toilet - I'm a big guy and I don't pee sitting down so had to request, and Nurse allowed me, to test standing up. The sitting is probably because you'll be dribbling everywhere ? Anyway I stand there as, she fills up bladder with water. I'm told to say "when" it feels like I'm full - I have nerve damage to bladder, but finally OK - she activates the electronics and I begin p*****g. There is some dribbling. Everything is recorded & the Urodynamic Study will prove, whether or not your bladder pressure is healthy enough, to urinate normally. Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks Ron, looking forward to meeting new friends ! 😀

• Posted

I recently had a urodynamic study. It was a much easier procedure than I expected. Not painful, if at times uncomfortable.

I am 70 years old with a 35/40g prostate. For the last few years, I have had all the symptoms of BPH, namely incomplete emptying, frequency, intermittency, urgency, weak steam, straining and nocturia 6 or more times a night. I was put on Tamsulosin which did not really give any relief. I looked into having a PAE procedure and after much research decided against it for two reasons. I was concerned about non target embolization, although uncommon, it is a risk and the procedure does not appear to have great outcomes; I have since learnt that it should not even be considered where the prostate is relatively small. I then researched Aquablation and was fortunate that the urologist felt a urodynamic study should be done first.

The reason the urologist requested the procedure was, given the high IPSS score and relatively small prostate, it would identify if there was any obstruction. The outcome from the study showed that I do not have an obstruction. What it did identify was that I have a non-compliant bladder and an over active bladder.

For the last 3 months I have been on prescribed bladder medication. I still have incomplete emptying, intermittency, urgency, weak steam, straining and nocturia. However, my frequency day and night has reduced by about 50%. Getting up 3 to 4 times a night is much more manageable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.