Urodynamic Test - Step By Step

Posted , 6 users are following.

When I was advised to have a Urodynamic test, my doctor quickly ran through the procedure process but the thing she really emphasized was that it can be an embarrassing experience. The next thing I did was scour the internet to get some information on other people’s experience with this procedure. While there were some testimonials out there, nothing very recent, so I thought I’d post my experience for other people’s benefit.

Prior to the test I was told to arrive with a full but not uncomfortable bladder. When I entered the room the first thing I noticed was a hospital chair with leg stirrups and a collection bowl at the bottom. The Registered Nurse that was administering the test told me to get undressed from the waist down and I could leave my socks and shoes on. I asked her about a gown, and she said I would not be wearing a gown. Afterwards I understood why. It was because a gown would be in the way of what she had to do.

Next, I was asked if I stood or sat to pee (stand of course) and told me to pee in the container at the bottom of the chair. This was to empty my bladder as much as I could, and she also measured the amount.

She told me to sit in the chair, scoot forward and place my legs in the stirrups. Throughout the procedure the nurse told me what she was going to do before she did it. While being embarrassed, it was all very clinical, and the embarrassment did go away. I knew she did this test all day, every day and I was just another patient she would forget about as soon as I walked out the door.

She said the next step was to catharize me with a regular catheter to fully empty any residual urine in my bladder. This she also collected and measured. She cleaned the area, catharized me and removed the catheter.

Next, she cleaned the sides of my legs, lower bottom cheeks and anus in preparation for some electrodes. She attached the electrode’s and then inserted a small bladder pressure sensor in my rectum. This was very small and hardly noticeable.

The next part proved to be difficult. She had to insert a VERY small catheter that would be used to fill my bladder and ultimately, I would pee with this catheter installed. She could not get it to enter my bladder! She removed and installed it 3 times with no luck. I think the catheter is so delicate that she could not get enough force to get through the sphincter muscle and enter the bladder.

So, she had to try a slightly different catheter. This one had a slight curve on the end, and I think the end was slightly more rigid. Two more tries with this catheter, again, no luck. She then called in a nurse practitioner to try. It took her two tries but she got it in.

In short, the rest went this way: There was a chart on the wall in which it showed someone driving and they had to pee. From realizing you need to go, to looking for a rest stop, to ultimately pulling to the side of the road.

The saline solution was slowly put in my bladder, and I had to say how it was feeling with a reference to the chart. Throughout this I had to cough and sometimes bear down for measurements. I only had 180ml before I told her I was busting and would be peeing at the side of the road by now. A few minutes later she allowed me to pee into the measuring container while having the catheter still in place. Ultimately, I had 350ml in me because they took so long in getting the small catheter in and I had still been producing urine the whole time. Like all procedures, after it was done, it took seconds to remove everything, and I was out the door.

Bottom line: after you get over the initial embarrassment it was not a big deal test. If I had to again, I wouldn’t hesitate. The only discomfort I had was urinating the next couple of days was painful. Probably from the attempts to get the catheter in.

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

What kind of results did it give you? Did it tell you anything leading to a specific procedure? Thanks!

• Posted

What did your test reveal? Is your bladder working? Do you have any blockage?

• Posted

Note that there is a newer procedure in the US called "UroCuff" which is very similar to Urodynamics but somewhat less invasive. I just had it done in October to prove that I had a healthy urine flow.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.