Urodynamics

Posted , 5 users are following.

My doctor wants me to have a urodynamics test prior to surgery. Has anyone ever had one of these, if so does it hurt. I've been told it's a bit embarrassing.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Prior to my cystoscope this year, I had a test which measures the rate and flow of urine .... might fall under the broader name which you referred to.  Not really embarrassing as I was alone in the room during the process. I also had a ultra sound. 
  • Posted

Not all urodynamic studies are the same.  I had a typical one with pressure/flow studies, and it involved a very thin catheter through the urethra into the bladder. Another very thin probe is inserted into the rectum. Both these probes are much thinner than used for cystoscopies, or catheterization, if you've ever had either done.  

In my case, it didn't hurt at all, but I had been self cathing for awhile so I was used to having a catheter inserted into my bladder. As to being embarrassing, hopefully it will be done professionally and made as private as possible. You may not want a bunch of medical students or assistants watching the procedure, so always ask beforehand who will be present, if this is a concern. 

I was given a prophylactic antibiotic at the time of the procedure to help prevent a UTI. You might want to ask in advance if that is the procedure, and it's not, personally I'd ask for it. 

Keep in mind that I'm male, so the experience may be different for you.

Jim

• Posted

Urodynamics tests may be as simple as using a special toilet which measures urine flow . Don't worry about embarrassment the medical staff who do these procedures are used to these things , their only concern is your health and wellbeing ,  and they don't know you , and you don't know them . Would be different if it was someone who you knew say a friend or neighbour . You may feel uncomfortable with it but there really is no need to feel embarrassed . 

• Posted

I've had a urodynamics done before,wouldn't worry about it being embarrising it's their job to do it,I won't lie the cathater insertation isn't the most nicest and comfortable thing ever,but it's bearable,I hope it goes all well,sending you the best of luck x 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.