Urogynae appt today after joint colorectal clinic on Friday

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello. Haven't posted for some time. Moved house and no internet so using my phone here so expect typos!

So last Friday went to joint gynae and colorectal clinic. Not the urogynae I have seen but another one plus colorectal surgeon.

Having seen missy physio who said that on examination she felt i didn't have this paradoxical muscle contraction the colorectal man says I do but it's not too bad. Gynae man agreed (I' m not entirely convinced he is a urogynae as he seems to do a lot of gynae work - but i dont know) He asked if it bothered me.

Well yes it does I entered into the rectocele surgery expecting to get better and I now have another problem. I know its not life threatening but.....

So their plan is to send me to physio - i already have an appt booked for the 17th march- for biometric feedback work. Then see how that works and regroup - their words!

Off to the urogynae appt today with the consultant who did the previous op. She went through what was said last friday. She also said they had booked me in for a proctogram i said i had had one she said no that was an mri proctogram. I said no it wasnt so she is going to query this and maybe i will have an mri one.

I asked if it was a prolapse. She said not as such as "the rather large rectocele"had been repaired. What i now have is a loose perineum. I asked if i managed to get the paradoxical muscle thing under control would the descent of waste onto the perineum at a bm be eliminated. She said no and then i could have the perineum tightened and it would be worth doing.

Interestingly she said that surgery does not always solve all ladies bowel and blader issues which is why they run this joint clinic plus pelvic physio to get better outcomes.

I said this was not said to me originally - it was that the surgery would be a cure. She said the originalsurgeon- now just retired- was a bit old fashioned. I think a new reign has begun!!

Actually feeling a bit happier . Although time is going on with no real resolve maybe i am on the right track. I did say that i hadnt had the problem at the perineum pre surgery. She felt the paradoxical muscle problem could be a side effect of the surgery - the muscles going into spasm - and they need to be retrained. I get all that. I cant really see that my perineum will tighten back up even if i solve this problem so part of me thinks why not surgery now or at least put on the list. But i will wait - if not patiently - but i will see. She agreed that we would regroup both with her and the junt cl7nic and physio.

Sorry really long post

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You are very lucky to get appointments with consultants i had to wait 7 months to get an appointment even after a lot of tests i wasnt seen by anyone just got a letter through the post but no consultation with anyone i think its disgusting not getting any consultation after 7 months of waiting thats nhS in england for you very bad and very slow
    • Posted

I have to say that has not been my experience. Slow by my terms yes but it is not a life threatening situation and there is nothing sinister. I saw the gp in november 2015. He referred to the consultant i saw in december - but i took a cancellation - the original appt was in feb. Had urodynamics in jan saw consultant in feb and put ob list for op . Op in april post op 9 weeks later. Gp appt in august for rereferral in oct and on since then.

Possibly tests show there is no need for follow up. I have read you have been unhappy with the service you have received. You can make a complaint. You can go back to your gp and ask for a referral to another consultant. Your gp can also re examine you. You can ask to see your patient records to see what has been written. I look over my gps shoulder and read the letters with him

• Posted

Hi Trizwizz

I am awaiting my surgery date (rectocele, entercele, internal intussusception) but was told I also have perineal descent (10cm - I don't know where this is on the scale of descent severity!). I've been under the care of a urogynae and colorectal surgeon as well, but they've said that the are hesitant to perform the levatorplasty (that would tighten up the perineum) at the same time as the prolapse repairs as they said it would be an awful lot to recover from.

I'm not able to have a BM by myself anymore and need to use peristeen which is an irrigation kit; my surgeons have said that they expect that I will always need to use this, even after the procedure, as they are only aiming to improve my quality of life rather that cure the problems. It's terrible that your surgeon didn't relay the likely outcomes of your procedure, I'm glad he's been usurped! My surgeons said that the ligaments holding the pernieum are stretched so physio isn't going to lift them back into place, but the benefit is instead by strengthening the pelvic floor as much as possible improving the outcomes of a repair you might have further down the line. This might be in addition to improving your muscle coordination which might make your symptoms easier to deal with. 

I am glad to hear that you are quite positive at the moment and very much hope it does turn out to be that you are on the right track - I'll look out for your updates x

• Posted

Thanks, that's very interesting. I don't think I had the perineal descent before my op. I do seem to remember that the gp felt the rectocele was worse than the original surgeon thought (the one who didnt do the op in the end , the older man). Though when i saw the surgeon this week she said it was big. I only had a rectocele though - certainly nowhere near as much as you are having done.

I agree about making the muscles better. I also have knee problems and the gp is very keen on making the muscles as good as they can be. I cant make the bone better - riddled with arthritis - but can make the muscles better. I fear that the perineum is too stretched out now to ping back. I think my days of pinging back are over! So may end up with surgery.

I do feel more positive now after months of not being so. Maybe it wont get better , maybe it will, but at least now i have seen all the people i can to try to make it better.

I dont blame the original consultant for implying that the surgery would be a cure all. I can see his point of view. Maybe the paradoxical muscle came on after as a bad side effect of the op - one that could not be forseen. I do think this happened after.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.