urolift

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am scheduled to get a urolift on March 3rd. My insurance has approved the cost of me being put under in the hospital. I hope i cures my trips to the toilet.

Lew

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

i wanted it

but my uro advisted me to do and surgery

aqua blazition

• Posted

Leon

Why did he talk you out of it. That was not right. Did you have it done all ready. You should have been able to have the procedure you wanted. He told you to have a Aquablaztion. All that is is a Turp done with water. They do not do the mapping until your asleep. They get rid of the whole prostate.

Ken

• Posted

Ken can you give me feed back on what you know about Finasteride 5mg as my Uro is given me script to try and see if it shrinks my Prostate side effects look bad!

• Posted

let us know how things go. keep us posted. good luck to you

• Posted

Lew,

Before moving forward with the Urolift you have to know if you have a median lobe issue, otherwise the Urolift might not work. For median lobe extensions there is a procedure called Medlift, developed by the same people who invented Urolift.

Good luck, Tom

• Posted

Finasteride 5mg oral medication was given to me by Uro to shrink my 49 cc prostrate Has anyone had any good results as side effects look scary! Not sure I will take tis but like to get your feed back

• Posted

I almost hate to reply, but for me the Urolift only helped moderately. I still have problematic mornings, often blocked, where I struggle to pee. Some days are good others are terrible. Still on Flowmax, tried to stop but then symptoms were horrible. Up here in Canada, we have to pay for this procedure. $17,000 later, I'd say it has helped but not cured. Looking into paying for REZUM now.

• Posted

Leafs Kent

Before you pay for another procedure try Vasicare 10 mg. It will relax the prostate and the bladder. I had the Urolift 4 years ago. Still wide open but a year ago i got a tight external sphincter. Been taking it for a year. I did notice the difference did not have them for a month.

I do not know if you can get them in Canada but it is worth a try.

Ken

• Posted

Hi Lew, I hope it goes well for you. Be prepared for a tougher recovery than is hyped for urolift. I ended up with loads of pain on the day of the op once I'd come round from the aneasthetic, two UTI's in the following month, and some residual pain even now, four months down the line. It was a qualified success just again, not as much as hyped though I have a median lobe which complicated things. On the plus side, I didn't need a catheter afterwards, was able to pee painfully and frequently for the first few days. However although I feel more comfortable now I am told I am retaining 260cc urine after peeing so not good; I may have to self cath. anyway; we'll see how it goes.

• Posted

Thanks Andrew, I wonder what percent of urolift Have bad pain like you had. What is the UTI I am not looking forward to getting it done now that I read what y went through. My first urologist wanted to do it in his office with pain pills, so I found one that will do it with anesthetic.

• Posted

Lew

Urolift should never be done in a office. I had mine done in a surgery center. I was out. Just some pain from the catheter. Still went out that day and drove my son to work the next day with the catheter. It was a god sent. Had it for 3 days. It is up to the doctor if you have a catheter.

Sometime there is swelling and then you have to go back to the hospital and have one put in. I would rather have the catheter put in when I'm out then when I'm awake.

Take care and good luck....Ken

• Posted

Hi Lew, the pain was that the bladder goes into spasm but there is nothing to pee out; pelvic floor very sore; I was shaking a lot of the time. Was offered morphine but refused; my choice. Generally I don't take pain relief and just put up with it.

UTI = infection. I got an infection from the urolift operation. I week of Macrobid didn't cure it and a week later it came back. Then I had a week of Co-Trimoxazole 160mg/800mg which I understand is quite a strong one (like the domestos of anti-biotics). It cured it and no more UTI's since.

All I'm saying is, in my case recovery was no walk in the park like the urolift hype leads you to believe. However neither is it unbearable; just unpleasant and more prolonged than I had expected. Maybe you will have a much easier time. I would definitely NOT have it done without a general anaesthetic.

• Posted

Any update Lew; hope it went OK. The first 48 hours can be tough.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.