Urolift 7 weeks ago. Now getting worse

Posted , 10 users are following.

Minor improvement in the first 3 to 4 weeks. Stream is a little better and getting up at night had reduced to usually two. Checkup last week, bladder is emptying, no blood in urine. Overall good report. NOW...within the last 3 days things are worse. Even with taking Tamulosin, my stream is weaker and for the last 3 nights, up at least 4 times, every two hours. Why could things be declining? Very depressed!!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I have the usual prostate problems, including slow streaming, getting up five times a night and feeling i need to go but nothing happening. I have been on Tamsulosin and Finasteride, which have not helped. The consultant has said that an operation could make things worse. However, he has put me on one Furosemide 40 mg diuretics tablet, which i take at 5pm daily. He stated that this would empty my bladder by bed time. I was doubtful that they would help, but i now only get up twice a night, which is a large improvement at night.

• Posted

Some possibilities:

1. Perhaps you have a UTI that is not very severe. I had a severe one and I had to get up 8 times per night. But even weeks before that I was feeling discomfort in my bladder and I was getting up 3 to 4 times per night when 2 is usual.
    2. As William suggested, you might just be producing a lot of urine at night. I do as well and wear compression socks and at times drink dandelion tea (as a diuretic - it helps somewhat) to cajole my body to not retain as much water that is processed at night as urine. BTW: I have absolutely no outward signs of water retention. However, sometimes I get up 3 or 4 times per night and urinate in total over 1000 mL. You might try measuring the volume of urine when you get up at night to go. Just be careful you don't spill the urine while emptying it (it's happened to me an others and is a real mess to clean up at 3:00 AM). If you are urinating a lot, then it seems to me that your bladder really needed to go and you might consider compression socks/diuretics to shift urine production more to the daytime and less at night.
    3. Of course, you need to be careful with regards to nighttime fluid intake.

Good luck.

• Posted

Sorry, that should read "as Dickupnorth suggested".

• Posted

Hi.

Thanks for your reply. I did measure it one night. Over 4 pints. When i had my flow test at hospital, on the computer screen, it showed i stopped and started seven times.

About 30 years ago, my father had some type of prostate operation, but it did not work properly, and he was permanently catheterised until he died ten years later.

I stop and start day and night but usually about three times. Sometimes i feel as if i want to go, but nothing.

l have read a few stories about others having various prostate ops which sometimes do not work.

Bearing in mind my father's experience, am dubious about having it done.

Am back to see the consultant in three months.

Regards. Richard.

• Posted

Richard:

I take dutasteride and alfuzosin for my 100 gram prostate. They have definitely helped me, but it's been a year now. I'll be talking to my uro this week about reducing dosages since most of the reduction in prostate size has already occurred.

Have you had your hormones tested? Do you know your levels of DHT, DHEA, testosterone, and particularly estrogen. These hormone levels often get out of whack when taking finasteride/dutasteride. Especially the testosterone/estrogen balance. I started having my hormones tested every three months starting about 6 months ago. If I'm going to reduce the frequency of taking dutasteride, then I need to know the effect on DHT (fin/dut dramatically reduce the level of DHT and it is DHT which primarily causes increase in prostate size). I want to make sure that my DHT level continues to stay low. Dutasteride has a half live of 4 to 5 weeks so it seems that I should be able to reduce from every day to 3 times a week or so. Finasteride, however, has a half life of only 8 hours, so reducing the frequency won't be as effective.

Good luck.

• Posted

It could be the prostate is pushing back up around the clips. That's happened in my case but after about 5 months. Now waiting for a TURP and wish I hadn't bothered with Urolift which has left me with constant pain/discomfort. I think Urolift is over-rated; doesn't seem to work at all for some and limited effect with others.

• Posted

I agree, my UROLIFT did not work but with Flomax and Mybetqic I am doing fine, and will avoid a TURP of any kind.

• Posted

it happened to me after PAE. i am having Uti. you should be also checked for UTI good luck.

• Posted

You might have to have a Cystocopy to see if any clips entered your bladder

My Urolift has not helped since March. I had a Cystocopy since then to verify that I did not have any in my bladder.

I think if all the failures could be accounted for that the percentage of failures verse success would be higher than reported. I recently found a friend at my church that said his Urolift did not work. It is frustrating to see many Urologist sites reporting mostly successes for Urolifts. I think they screen any negative reviews to protect their business.

• Posted

I predict in 2020, Morgan and Morgan will be advertising for Urolift patients.

• Posted

dont know why but at least you can pee. I had the procedure 7 days ago and still cant pee on my own. Doctor told me it has to calm down after surgery and he is sure i will pee great. Everyones post i read they are peeing in a couple of days at most. Very woried. Have been self cathitoring.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.