Urolift and a weak stream

Posted , 11 users are following.

HI i have a t last seen a Dr who performs the Urolift operation here in the UK and he is not sure if i am a good candidate for it as i have a very weak stream, on a scale i think he said 4? can anyone give me their experience if they dont have a strong flow?

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

re : >> HI i have a t last seen a Dr who performs the Urolift operation

- This is a general comment that could apply to many posts : how come nobody on patient info, ever posts the name of their urologist .... is this because the site rules forbid it, or is it because they fear being sued should they say anything other than 100% positive ?  A rare exception is when a few men have written glowing reviews of a couple of named uro's at the Mayo Clinic.  But mostly, nobody does, and there are no credible review sites that I could find for uros or other medics.  I posted a (good) review for mine and then found it didn't go up for 3 days whilst it was "reviewed", meaning, I suspect, that all negative or non-positive reviews are going to be actively screened out - like on check-a-trade !

• Posted

Mine was excellent - Dr. Bilal Chughtai at Weill Cornell Medical School/ NY Presbyterian Hospital. He teaches as well as runs a busy office at the Iris Cantor Men's Health Center on 61st Street in Manhattan. The staff in his office is excellent and always made me feel comfortable.

The NY Presbyterian hospital staff was excellent too, from admissions and prep, through the OR staff, to the recovery nursing staff. They all did their jobs extremely well and made me feel well attended to at all times.

• Posted

I was not a candidate for Urolift because my prostate growth was squeezing into the bladder neck.  If it was just squeezing the urethra, then it would be fine; but the Urolift cannot help a situation that is so high towards the bladder as was mine.

Good luck with your search and do search for more information.  And don't lend too much credence to what you hear in these forums.  They are mostly contributions from those who have had poor outcomes.  "The squeeking wheel always gets the oil."  Men with good outcomes don't make entries here because they get well and move on.  That is why I am trying to chronicle my outcome with the idea that it will be good and I can deliver that experience to other men.  It's our JUNK!  Very scary stuff.  There is risk; but thousands of men do have good outcomes.

• Posted

yes true i think that the men that have good outcomes dont post so much on here so there is a lot of scary stuff as you say, so really he cant say that my bad flow rules out Urolift until all the tests are done.

• Posted

Exactly.  The cystoscopy will tell him what he needs to know.  After that, it just takes balls to go through with the prescribed  fix.
  • Posted

Hi - I too had a weak stream although it was not numerically detailed.  I had the urolygt on October 7 and my stream is moving back to "normal"- meaning the way it was more than a decade ago and before I started with flomax, hytrin, avodart. My stream is greater than it's been in more than a decade (I'm 69 years old).  The procedure was done in San Diego at a Kaiser outpatient facility,  

• Posted

I had probably a bit stronger stream. Doc didn't evaluate that but I would guess a 5. He did a "lookyloo" before to see if I was a candidate and then said I was. So who oversees these opinions as to whether a patient is a candidate? No one other than getting a second opinion and I wasn't going through that experience again. Urolift did absolutely nothing for me other than some negative effects. Most, not all I have read on this discussion forum seems to indicate the same or very short periods of benefit. Maybe you will hear from some success stories.

• Posted

I hope that some of the more unfortunate experiences with urolyft are anomolies.  In my case my stream has significantly improved and I've seen comments over the last months where others had similar postive experiences.  I know the prostate continues to grow.  My surgeon said the procedure is so new that there is not a sufficient data base to draw long term conclusions.  So I am waiting and seeing and hoping that the stream does not again weaken.  I'll continue to post my experience over time. I'm two months post surgery and obviously benefiting from the surgery.

• Posted

A weak flow is when your prostate is tight around the urethra.  I have mine in 2015 He was checking my stricture and could not get the camera in the bladder.  The prostate was closed.  I have 4 implants to open it up and it worked great.  If that doctor don't want to try it get another doctor don't get forced into something less  Ken

• Posted

He has really left it up to me to make a decision, but is saying that in his experience i am not a good candidate because i have a very weak stream and urolift in his experience will not correct it enough, anyway i have to wait for the tests find out about median lobes etc and take it from there thanks for all the comments here.
    • Posted

Grant  To me it don't make cents.  If the problem is the prostate all they have to do is pull it apart. That would open you up and the stream would improve.  Even if you have a large median lobes they can pull it aside.  My urologist have been doing them for 5 years and all the patients that he has done are still going strong.  This doctor is going to try to get you to do something else. Some kind of surgery.  I wont say what but it will cause alot of side effects. Retro for one.   If urolift is what you want to try.  Take control and tell him that is what you want.  Take care  Ken 

• Posted

One thing is clear in my mind. The urologist makes more money doing the urolift than not doing it and prescribing a medication. But of course there are side effects to route as well.
    • Posted

The potential side effects of mediction is one reason I signed up for iTind. I am 61 and my family history has my kife expectancy as 28 years so i did not want the effects or expense of meds for 28 years. Also, meds can lose effectiveness over time so you wind up doing some sort of surgery anyway. I picked iTind because it seems to have the easiest recovery - same day surgery, no hospital stay, no catheter, no RE, no ED, no incontinence. Just 5 days of mild discomfort and then removal which stung for about 15 seconds. Then it was "AHHHHH", it is out.

• Posted

Good for you Bobby  Good Luck  When are you going to have it done.  Ken
    • Posted

I had it done on Nov 29. Removal on Dec 5. Was really quite easy. Little real pain, just momentary burning when urinating for about 30 seconds and general discomfort, sort of like a pebble in your shoe. When they took it out it hurt for about 15 seconds, but not bad, and then AHHHHH!

After it was taken out I was waiting for my ride and went to a pizzeria for a coiuple of slices and a drink. I had to use the bathroom but for the first time it wasn't really urgent. There was a line for the single restroom and a woman came in line after me. She was dancing around a bit and looked worried. When it was my turn I could let her go before me. That could not have happened three weeks ago. I would have wet my pants.

Tonight I went to a political beefsteak fundraiser. I drank beer, wine, had dinner and coffee with dessertl. Nearly 5 hours and I did not have to use the bathroom until I got home and again no urgency. Three weeks ago I was running 14-18 times a day.

Instead of getting up 5 times a night it is down to twice and might get better once my bladder adjusts to not panicking anymore.

• Posted

That's great.  Glad it worked for you.  It much better then the surgerys that have been around for years.These are looking up.   Now we have more of a choose. Hope all stays well and have a happy holiday Ken

• Posted

Sounds like you're free again. Like a 40 year old LOL  Do keep us updated on your progress

• Posted

Good to hear that this option is panning out. I was impressed with the concept. Are there any estimates for longevity of the benefits or do they believe that one time is permanent?

I'm a urolift patient and doing well but if something went south on me I think I might lean in the iTind direction.

• Posted

Bill what happen with the urolift.  How many implants did you have put in.  Maybe you need a few more.  I know they can go up to eight.  I had mine in April of 2015 Had 4 implants been great.  Talk with your doctor  Ken
    • Posted

It seems that safety and long term efficacy is the main reason for the trial. They do not really know how long it will last. Theoretically it could be permanen since the incisions do not heal back together. i suppose th eprostate could grow enough as to press the incision so tightly that urine can no longer pass, but that would be a lot of mechanical pressure.

The data I saw and heard is that they began 5 years ago and nobody has repeated the procedure yet. But that is more dependent upon the patient as each man has a slightly different physiology in size, shape and symptoms. There are men with larger prostates than mine but no signs of LUTS yet. I do understand that some men who received the implant went on to TURP when it did not work for them but they were much older and probably on the upper limits of the ideal patient.

The problem is that most men are older and have comorbidity issues like heart disease, diabetes, kidney failure, lung problems, etc. Some of the men who have had the iTind implant have died for unrelated reasons. I am only 61 and became symptomatic about 3 years ago. I think I am one of the younger men in the study. My only other issue is high blood pressure which is controlled by meds so I may be a good test subject for the possible repeatability of the implant in the future as I am sure my prostate will continue to grow slowly and have a life expectancy about 23 years. If I needed it and still qualify i would do it again in a heartbeat.

• Posted

What study are you in.  And what prpocedure would you have again. Ken
    • Posted

iTind by Medi-tate. The procedure was done by Dr. Bilal Chughtai at Weill Cornell - NY Presbyterian.
    • Posted

That what I throught   I was just making sure.  Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.