Urolift at Cleveland Clinic last week

Posted , 7 users are following.

Today is three weeks since I traveled from South Carolina to the Cleveland Clinic (ranked #1 in the nation for urology) for determination of proper procedure for urinary retention following brachytherapy and 25 sessions of radiation. Have been intermittently cathing for five months, which has been quite limiting to typical lifestyle, like it's hard to go to a football game and cath or having to use a gas station bathroom for that purpose. After multiple tests my urologist suggested Urolft, which I had last Monday. I can't use alpha blockers as they cause low blood pressure for me.

So far so good. No bleeding now, burning upon urination continues, some urgency, have to get up several times at night, but nothing not forecast prior to procedure.

I hope this continues to go as expected. Some guys on this board are having a lot of issues and I have been told that this procedure is more difficult after the prostate cancer treatments I have had. Fingers crossed.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Best of luck!

Was the urologist who recommended the urolift at Cleveland Clinic or local?

Did you have an enlarged median lobe?

Thanks

• Posted

The urologist was on regular staff at the Clinic and I would be happy to recommend him and another urologist at the CC. He would not recommend urolift until urodynamics, cystoscopy, determination of size of prostate, and trial of Rapoflo were completed. Median lobe not enlarged enough to prevent procedure. Not allowed to go home until I passed a flow test as well as retention test three days after procedure. Rapaflo, although more prostate specific than other alpha blockers and effective for me as far as flow, did lower my BP which, with with my heart meds, was not something I wanted to do, having been in the hospital locally for BP issues three times since brachytherapy at the end of last August. I had the choice of the mechanical procedure or more likely medication interaction. Urolift seemed the best choice at this time since it is mostly reversible. You can watch everything on the TV monitor during any procedure if you like.

• Posted

Thanks kauaijim. I hope everything works out well.

• Posted

"Urolift seemed the best choice at this time since it is mostly reversible"

The makers of Urolift claim it is reversible however all that can be removed is the very end accessible from the urethra which will release tension but that still leaves the cord and other end inside you which can't be removed; well not without huge problems like cutting you open and fishing around in whatever has grown around the other ends.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.