Urolift at Southmead Hospital.

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all,

I am currently on the waiting list for the Urolift procedure at Southmead Hospital, Bristol. I was wondering if any of you guys have had this procedure at this hospital and, if so, how it went. 

Best wishes.

Steve.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

I was on the list also.My Quack had nothing but good to say about it. No problems or side affects. My investagation proved other wise. Found out I did not need it, was low candidate. Business is business. His line was medicare would pay. Be carefull, no going back. Richard
  • Posted

Urolift is a pretty decent option. Usually no reverse ejaculation happens. Very short and easy procedure. Many guys seem to pee fine after short healing time (2 weeks). Mine wasn't as successful. After 2 years I still have strong urgency to pee (when you gotta go, you gotta go NOW if you know what I mean) and my peeing stream has weakened one again. I am seeing my Doc right now to explore options. Either shoot a couple more pins in me or checking into REZUM procedure. My only advice on Urolift is to consider going home with a catheter in place. After my procedure I was able to pee enough that they said I should be fine and sent me home without a catheter. What a mistake. After 3 hours at home I could not pee to save my life. What a painful experience. Sweating profusely and pacing the floor like an animal. Had to drive myself to Emergency ward for catheter to be put in for blessed relief. Then was told to wear it for one week. Everything eventually calmed down and life went forward to now. Still not fixed to my satisfaction so the search continues. The other thing is Urolift still does nothing in reducing the size of a continually growing prostate. That is why I think REZUM and PAE may be better options possibly. We all have to do as much research for ourselves before one makes a move. Good luck Steve.

• Posted

Peter,

I had a PAE last August and it was a partial success. After effects minor - for two weeks it was more difficult to pee, but I was able to compensate with more Flowmax. Am going in for a second PAE once I get on the schedule. In the meantime, I have been doing "bladder training" - started a couple of weeks ago. Instead of peeing every time I felt the need, which was often, I have been trying to hold on for as long as possible, so my bladder gets used to being fuller before triggering the "got to go now" feeling. Training is definitely working. I am able to sleep longer at night so getting up 3-4x per night instead of 4x6 times as before. Doesn't sound like a huge improvement in the nocturia, but I feel better during the day. Also, I notice I can definitely last longer during the day before looking for a bathroom. Since the "training" is free and easy and appears to work, it's definitely worth your time to look into it and give it a try. 

Tom

• Posted

Tom, thanks for the info. I drive from supermarket to supermarket all day long for my job. Thankfully there are bathrooms in every store. I think I'm going to try out your method though. Would be great to p**s only once every 2-3 hours instead of every 30 to 45 minutes. Peter

• Posted

I'm day 20 after having it done at the Cleveland Clinic. My thread here:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/urolift-experience-640446

So far, not happy. Stream not stronger, no improvement from before. Now I seem to have ED too. Going to have a lot to discuss with my doctor, I'm afraid. Not that I blame him, since I've been shopping for a place to get the Urolift for the past two years. I think there's a BIG difference between "straining" to go and "relaxing" to go. My problem was the latter. I think Urolift is for the former. I advise caution and discussion of this difference with your doc. Flowmax did help, but I didn't want to take the drug forevermore. I thought Urolift was the permanent solution. Second guessing myself now.

• Posted

GL Laser is now the preferred NICE NHS procedure followed by Holep. Looking at the Southmead website it seems that Urolift is their only option apart from TURP.
  • Posted

From the Southmead hospital patients information.

Previously the only surgical treatment available on the NHS was an operation called Transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP), where a section of the prostate is cut away, but now men can benefit from a less-invasive procedure called UroLift.

** Not true GL has been performed at NHS hospitals since 2004 and Holep later. Holmium laser and Gyrus were around before then *** GL and HoLep take around two hours and are still usually day surgery or at the most overnight. 

The procedure, which was initially offered at Southmead Hospital in October as part of a trial and is now being made available to all suitable patients, involves inserting an implant to lift and hold the enlarged prostate tissue out of the way of the urethra so that it no longer causes an obstruction.

Previously men in Bristol could only have the treatment privately. But Consultant Urological Surgeon, Raj Persad, has now carried out the procedure on 10 NHS patients in Southmead Hospital.

The Bristol Urological Institute Surgeon said UroLift is a quicker procedure which men recover from sooner and with fewer complications. It is also more efficient for the hospital as patients require less time in hospital 

The procedure takes about 20 minutes and can be carried out as a day case with men leaving hospital the same day.

It could also save the wider NHS money as it means that GPs could stop prescribing men medication.

Professor Persad said: “This is an ingenious low-risk effective procedure which promises to help men in the future with minimal trauma and invasiveness. 

“The results from the trial we carried out showed what a difference this procedure can make - it really helps men them to get their lives back, and by offering such a minimally-invasive procedure, it also means that they recover so much quicker than the alternative which takes weeks.

“I’m pleased that we are now able to offer men this treatment at Southmead Hospital.”

• Posted

Had Urolift 2 1/2 years ago.  Six thingies.  Most pleased.  Best part was getting off Flomax, though had to add another blood pressure med to compensate for the missing effects.  Have since lost 50lbs and off the second BP med.
    • Posted

Hi riverkilt,

Good to hear that Urolift worked for you. I am, naturally I suppose, concerned about having this procedure but it is the only option offered to me (apart form TURP) by my NHS urlologist.

I hope I have as good a result as you.

• Posted

You can as to be referred to another hospital or area. I went to Newcastle from Edinburgh for my GL.
    • Posted

Hi Derek, 

Thanks for you Newcastle recommendation a few months back, My local GP was ok about referring me to Newcastle and I'm on the list for Holep in a few months time. Like most men with BPH I'm relieved that I'm getting something done t last after about 12 years of pills and a couple of incidents of retention needing catheterisation. The consultant at Ncastle was a breath of fresh air after my experience with my local hospital.

• Posted

They have a great urology team at Newcastle though  the head has changed since I was there.   They have a good restaurant in the hospital. We have even eaten there at other times we were in Newcastle. 
    • Posted

Thanks for the heads up re the restaurant, I shall bear that in mind on my next visit. We stayed the night in the Cairns hotel which was very good, large modern room and good continental breakfast. From there it was just a 30 min walk to the hospital. We took advantage of the cairns happy hour and got talking to some local interesting people.
    • Posted

We have stayed In Newcastle many time over the years since 1970 but missed on  the delights of the Cairns hotel. My wife stayed at a Best Western for a night when I had my GL and it was not a good experience. It is one of the most friendly cities you can visit. We almost went to live there in 1970 when the company I worked for moved there but it is too bloody cold with that wind from the North Sea. Vera is welcome to it :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.