Urolift cancelled.

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all,

Here is an update to my experience at the hospital on Wednesday, where I was scheduled to have the Urolift procedure.

I left home around 10;00AM, having had a pee with a reasonable flowrate, and arrived at the hospital about 12:10PM. I needed the loo but found that I could not pass water. Irritated, but not unduly concerned as this had happened before and on those occasions, after several attempts I could, eventually go.

I proceeded to the theatre check in desk and was told to take a seat and the nurse would call me through. My appointment was for 1:00PM, it was now 12:30PM

3:00PM came around and, after several more unsucessful attempts in the loo, I was still sat there. I approached the receptionist to ask when I may be 'called through' and she went to ask. When she returned she told me 'they' were having a meeting, discussing patients and medirooms and that she would go and ask again in five or so minutes. I paid another visit to the loo, now in greater distress. When I returned she beckoned me over and informed me that I was last on the list and it may be around 6:00PM before I was called.

By this time I was in quite a bit of discomfort and knew, in my heart, that I had 'passed the point of no return' regarding voiding.

I will now cut the story short and skip forward to 7:30PM (when the discomfort was becoming unbearable) which was the time I was finally seen by a doctor and catherterised. It was at this point he informed me that the proceedure could not go ahead and that he wanted me to stay overnight. As I am my partner's carer I could not stay overnight and so returned home in a taxi with the catheter in place.

I now have to wear this heinous device for two weeks and then see if I can pee okay when it is removed. If I can I will be re-listed for the Urolift, if I can't I do not know what the way forward will be.

When I left home on Wednesday I did not foresee this outcome. Life certainly has a way of taking one unawares that is for sure.

Take care all. 

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have found that when I have had serious (ie total) retention it has happened because my bladder became too full. It seems the fuller it gets, the more likely I get to have retention. My solution now is to always have access to a self-inserted intermittent catheter 'in case'.

• Posted

Hi Pepasan,

I think you are correct. I have noticed in the past that if I waited too long, for whatever reason, I would have difficulty in going but I have always managed in the end. This is the first, and hopefully the only time I have had total retention. I have always dreaded having to have a catheter and this is my first experience.

• Posted

This does not make since.  For you to sit there all day and the surgery could not be done.  Di d the doctor tell you why you had to wait and why were you not called in for the surgery  I have never heard of this  Ken
    • Posted

Hi Ken,

They were 'running late' hence the long wait. The surgery could not be carried out because I was in retention and something about Urolift not being 'licenced' under such circumstances. 

• Posted

I have never heard that before.  I am going to send a e-mail to the company and see what is up.  I will not get a answer till Monday  You should have not been waiting they should have sent you home and told you to come back.  I think they just made it worse. Ken    .
    • Posted

I guess so.  I feel sorry for him. He peed before he lift the house.  With the stress of waiting and not drinking because he was suppose to have the surgery they put him in retention.  They mess him up.  I hope he will be able to have the Urolift when he goes back  Have a good day  Ken
  • Posted

Just curious what country are you in? Why did they cancel? My last uro appointment I got to the office they told me doc was behind 1.5 hrs. I sat and said screw this. Told receptionist I'm leaving. If they're that far behind call me I come in late. So I used 4 hrs of vacation time that day for nothing.

• Posted

I can see them running behind but why was he giving a appointment the day they were have a meeting.  That should not have happen.  In a way that happen when I had the repair done 2 years ago.  It was because of another patient I was in the gown ready and I was suppose to have the surgery at 1 pm  but he did not get to me until 2:30 pm But all went well  Ken  That should not have happened 
    • Posted

Hi uncklefester,

I am in the UK and using our overstretched NHS. I have been on the waiting list for this procedure for 7 months as they do not offer it at my local hospital which is only a ten minute walk from me.

They cancelled because I was in retention.

• Posted

Surgery is one thing. If A standard check up appointment is way behind call me and let me know I can be an hour late. They'd be pi$$ed if I showed up an hour late.

• Posted

That sucks. I wish you the best when you finally get it done.

Have you ever cone into retention before? Was it stress related?

• Posted

Hi Unc,

Rich in the Catskills here. Which uro doc did this happen with?

• Posted

No, this is the first time I have had total retention. I could not say if it was related to stress. Can stress be a cause? I felt reasonably relaxed under the circumstances but the fact that I could not pee did raise my stress levels considerably. Before I left home I urinated quite okay, for me, almost to the point of me wondering whether I really needed the surgery at all! Shows how unpredictable this condition is.
    • Posted

Stress can cause retention.  Being you wait ok before you left your house you were ok then but forcing yourself to get going and the waiting so long they put you in retention.  That was wrong.  They should have told you do go home earlier.  I bet you would have been fine.  I hope this does not mess you up for the surgery  Good luck  Ken.
    • Posted

Stephen.  I got a reply for the Urolift company and they do not do the Urolift on you because you went into retention and do not know what it would do.,.  They said it was good to wait the time your doctor said.  But I did find out that currently there is a study going on in the UK with men that have retention to see if it will work.  The centers are in New Castle upon Tyne, Surrey, Leeds and Norwich.  I hope the study goes well  Ken  
    • Posted

Ken: "...currently there is a study going on in the UK with men that have retention to see if it will work..."

Ken, you probably mean "very serious retention" because if retention will exclude a man from Urolift, there won't be many qualified patients left. Also, my uro offered me Urolift, knowing fully well that I had retention. Hank

• Posted

Hank   I just wrote it the way they sent it to me.  I took it as they are working on men that have retention To see if the Urolift will work for them.  We will see  Thanks Ken   
    • Posted

Hi Ken,

I thought that they could have just drained my bladder and then continued with the operation thus removing the cause of the retention. As it is I am left in a most uncomfortable position with a catheter and not knowing what the future holds.

I feel so frustrated that this had to happen on the very day my Urolift was scheduled. Talk about 'falling at the last hurdle'.

Many thanks for your interest.

• Posted

I talk to the company but they said that the doctor did that to help your bladder and he thought it was best.  And they said they were sorry that it happen.  I hope all goes well for you when they take it out  Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.