Urolift Experiences

Posted , 32 users are following.

Greetings All, I am starting this discussion as a means of informing other men out there what they can expect from this relatively new procedure. I would ask that your experiences and comments be in reference to Urolift only.

I am scheduled to have this procedure two days from now.  My urologist says I am the perfect candidate. I am 65 years old with an enlarged prostate. I don't smoke or drink. I exercise regularly, including a 2-mile run three times a week. My primary symptoms are bladder retention (250 - 500cc) and a weak stream. I get up to urinate once each night and go maybe six times during the day.  I have been on meds for 8 years--Fanasteride (Proscar - stopped 4 years ago) and Doxazosin (Flomax - still taking.) No erectile disfunction. My expectations of this procedure are that my symptoms will remain the same and that I will be able to stop the Doxazosin. Beyond this, my hope is that my symptoms will actually improve. I will provide updates as I go through the process.

If you have experienced Urolift, please  join me in providing helpful information to others who are considering this procedure.

4 likes, 121 replies

121 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Four days  after Urolift, and over the last 24 hours I have passed 4 blood clots (approximately 1/8" X 1/4"). My guess is that this has exposed the entry points for the implants,  as there has been increased burning and some blood in the urine. I am also experincing minor discomfort when not voiding. I think a few more days of healing and this will be gone. I have been making trips to the bathroom every two hours, like clockwork, voiding 200cc on average. For me, this is more often than before Urolift, obviously due to increased water intake (still drinking 1 gallon per day). Pain on voiding has been roughly a 4 on a scale of 1-10. Strength of stream has decreased from 4 to 3. I expect this might be due to minor swelling in the uretha around the implants. I went out to lunch with my wife today and did a little shopping, without issue. No incontinance and no sharp urges to void. Got in 6 hours of sleep last night and 2 more during the day. Some issues with constipation, I expect due to the drugs--resolve by Ex-lax this morning. That's it until tomorrow, unless you have questions.
  • Posted

Day 5 - Still averaging 220cc per bathroom visit and once every two hours due to drinking one gallon of water daily. Burning and stinging upon urination continues, though slightly reduced in intensity. Stream is still stronger than normal as I am able to get rid of the 220cc's in about 30 seconds, this compaired to maybe 90 seconds before the procedure. Still seeing traces of blood in the urine. Also there is increased urgency before and during voiding. The bladder seems to be working much harder than before the procedure at pushing the fluid out. Paid a visit to a friend in the hospital today without issue (out of the house for 2 hours). No serious side effects from the 3 drugs I am taking and no interaction with Doxazosin. I will come off 2 of the three drugs tomorrow evening and the third will end in 2 days. I will post again tomorrow.
    • Posted

Okay tried to post before but it would not let me.  I had the surgery in Aoril 2017, had few problems the biggest is the inconsistency of the urges to go.  Some days good and some days bad, some nights the same way.  Has anybody else experienced the same thing.  Ther are times when I can stand at the toilet for 5 minutes and just dribble
  • Posted

Day 5 - Stlll passing 200cc per voiding, though fewer trips to the bathroom due to my attendance at a wedding today (stopped drinking water one hour before and resumed drinking when I returned home 3 hours later.) My time away was quite manageable. Discomfort during and between voiding and urgency have increased somewhat, no doubt due to my discontinuation of the pain reliever, which I resumed taking a half hour ago. A will try stopping the pain reliever again in a few days. The flow rate remains unchanged. Still seeing faint traces of blood in the urine. I will run out of Hyoscyamine (drug for bladder spasms) tonight and will run out of Lavofloxamin (antibiotic) tomorrow evening. As I said before, I will continue the Hydrocodine (pain reliever) for a few more days. That's it for today.
  • Posted

Day 7 - First a correction--my last post was Day 6, not Day 5.

10 visits to the bathroom in the last 24 hours, averaging 250cc per visit. Burning on urination has ranged from 1 - 3 on a scale of 1 - 10 (10 being unbearable.) Flow rate has ranged from 2 - 5 on a scale of 1 - 10 (1=blockage and 10=race horse). Went to church this morning and was away 4 hours. Did not feel the need to void while out. When I returned home, I needed to go, but not with urgency. Passed 400cc in 45 seconds with very little burning--very pleased. I am somewhat surprised at how well things are going. Nevertheless, I should point out that I have not experienced a whole lot of uniformity in the bathroom visits--volume, flow rate, and burning seem to fluctuate--sometimes up and sometimes down compared to the previous visit. Urine has shown no traces of blood in the last day and a half. I ran out of Hyoscyamine (intended to stop bladder spasms) and am experiencing no problems. I will run out of Lavofloxacin (Antibiotic) this evening. I have decided to take the Hydrocodine (Pain killer) as needed--down to twice daily as opposed to 4 times daily. Still haven't experienced any problems with incontinence. Overall, I feeling everything is proceeding well and I am pleased with the outcome so far--somewhat better than I had hoped. If there are no questions, I will post again next Sunday. Until then, I will be checking this discussion daily.

A thanks to those folks who have posted their own experiences and to those who have clarified various aspects of this procedure.

• Posted

Bill your doing great will get better.  I will talk with you later dealing with my gallbladder surgery I hope the pain goes away.  Did not have this much pain after the urolift  Take care  Ken
  • Posted

Two weeks since Urolift and all goes well. Flow rate is a consistant 5 to 6 on a scale of 1 to 10, this compared to 1 to 3 before the procedure. No pain or burning. I have resumed daily activities, however the Doc wants me to hold off on strength exercises,  running, and intercourse until my follow-up appointment in two weeks.

Still no urgency between trips to the bathroom. I have reduced my fluid intake to maybe 3 quarts daily. I back off a bit toward evening and sleep soundly until around 5am. No prostate pain or even minor discomfort. Consequently, no pain meds during the past week. So far, I am very happy with my results. Hopefully this will be the case when I go off the Doxazosin. I will post again in one week.

• Posted

Hi Bill;

At this point how are you doing?

Any advice?

• Posted

Okay tried to post before but it would not let me.  I had the surgery in Aoril 2017, had few problems the biggest is the inconsistency of the urges to go.  Some days good and some days bad, some nights the same way.  Has anybody else experienced the same thing.  Ther are times when I can stand at the toilet for 5 minutes and just dribble
    • Posted

• Posted

Week 3 - All is well. Slight improvement. Flow rate now ranging from 5-7 on a scale of 1 to 10. For me, that is remarkable. Can't remember when things have been better. Looking forward my one-month follow-up with the Doc, and even more so, stopping the Doxazosin. Unless there is a significant change, my next update will be in two weeks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.