Urolift Experiences

Posted , 32 users are following.

Greetings All, I am starting this discussion as a means of informing other men out there what they can expect from this relatively new procedure. I would ask that your experiences and comments be in reference to Urolift only.

I am scheduled to have this procedure two days from now.  My urologist says I am the perfect candidate. I am 65 years old with an enlarged prostate. I don't smoke or drink. I exercise regularly, including a 2-mile run three times a week. My primary symptoms are bladder retention (250 - 500cc) and a weak stream. I get up to urinate once each night and go maybe six times during the day.  I have been on meds for 8 years--Fanasteride (Proscar - stopped 4 years ago) and Doxazosin (Flomax - still taking.) No erectile disfunction. My expectations of this procedure are that my symptoms will remain the same and that I will be able to stop the Doxazosin. Beyond this, my hope is that my symptoms will actually improve. I will provide updates as I go through the process.

If you have experienced Urolift, please  join me in providing helpful information to others who are considering this procedure.

4 likes, 121 replies

121 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Bill, I hope all goes well with the Urolift. I had mine 11 days ago. You will find my story in my post on the discussion started by Charles40613

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDIQFjACahUKEwim2aCI4YDJAhUFhQ8KHdbZAos&url=http%3A%2F%2Fpatient.info%2Fforums%2Fdiscuss%2Fthe-urolift-procedure-patient-views-and-questions-300828&usg=AFQjCNEQfhj00_rH_H2DIR8vGxfp6eS4cQ&sig2=f384K7gLvRpYMYIjnNN7QA&bvm=bv.106923889,d.ZWU

I had a general anaesthetic(large 85+ml prostate) and was cathetered afterwards for around 20 hours)overnight stay in private hospital). Naturally I had some pain/discomfort and was given paracetymol, possibly supplemented by dihydrocodeine. Once catheter had been removed and had passed urine(low volume initially and frequent) a few times I was discharged and driven home by my partner. At home I stayed close to the bathroom as I had "urgency" symptom. Frequent peeing (150-200ml) for the next 6 hours (i had drunk around 8 litres of water the previous 24 hours). Pain was mild until around 12 hours later, when i took dihydrocodeine.During the night I had nocturia(6 visits to bathroom). Pain/ discomfort has eased over the last few days, and I feel like I am "returning to normal".Mentally for me it has been a real challenge, but help and support from my partner, daughter, and friends/colleagues has been invaluable.

• Posted

Good morning Bill,

Had mine abouit 6 months ago and definately worked for me.   However I had decided to also go with a "testopel"  treatment due to a low "T" # and i feel like it has worked against it,  i feel like the testosterone has caused my prostate to swell enough to cause some restriction.    So Imo,  stay away from that and the urolift should be an excellent choice!

Anthony

• Posted

Well----here we go. Thought I'd start off with a little personal info. I am almost 65 years old, 5' 11" tall, 160 lbs, BP - 110/70, pulse - 60,  PSA - 1.8, don't smoke, don't drink, no allergies except Doxazosin (Heat Rash), run 2 1/2 miles 3 times weekly with strength exercises, no meds other than Doxazosin, no ED, no previous procedures, and no other medical issues. As I stated in my initial entry above, the Doc said I was the perfect candidate for the procedure.

Diagnosis: Enlarged Prostate.  Symptoms: Bladder retention (250-500cc after voiding), frequency of urination (6 times daily and I get up on average once nightly), weak and intermittent stream, difficulty starting stream and must help with stomach muscles to push out as much fluid as I can.

Went in for Urolift this morning--5 hours at hospital--procedure took 10 minutes. Two implants installed under general anesthesia--sent home with catheter and loving wife. Note: I had the wife when I went in wink.

Coming out of anesthesia, my pain level was maybe 4 or 5  on a scale of 10--all due to the catheter--none due to the implants. Doc says cath stays in for 2 days. Several months ago, when I first discussed the procedure with him, he wasn't recommending the cath. However, after performing a number of these procedures, he has found that most patients are having difficulty sleeping for the first few nights due to very frequent trips to the bathroom (every 15 minutes in many cases.)  Beyond sleeping issues, there is the consideration of the time it takes to get home. In my case, that's over 30 minutes. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see why someone might run into a little difficulty. As uncomfortable as the cath is, I believe the alternative is worse.  The following are some questions I asked the Doc.

When can I come off Doxazosin? Maybe 3 months.

Do I come off all at once? Yes

How much water should I be drinking while the cath is in? 1 gallon daily.

When can I resume exercise? Wait for me to tell you.

When can I resume intercourse? Wait for me to tell you. rolleyes

How  long am I to wait for the follow-up appointment? 1 Month - he felt that by this time I should be in pretty good shape.

I left the hospital with three new perscriptions--a narcotic for pain (10-day supply), something to keep my bladder from cramping (2 or 3-day supply), and an antibiotic (7-day supply).

Now 7 hours post-op and pain from cath is maybe a 2. I should be able to sleep with it. Again, no pain from implants--none.

I will post again tomorrow evening, the following evening, at the one week mark, and then each week thereafter. If you have questions, please feel free to ask. I hope this has been of some help.

• Posted

Hey Bill  Glad your doing well.  Has for the catheter Not a fan but it is up to your doctor if he put one in.  In my case I don't pee on demand so I was worried about cloging.  It was only 2 days and all went well.  4 implant I have never felt them and peeing after it burns for the first 24 hours.  That is the best for the procedure.  Alot of men had to go back and have a catheter put in because thay could not pee.  I went off all pill right after and peeing fine.  As for sex that is up to you.  If you feel good and you think your ready go for it.  I waited 10 days and it was fine.  Just relax and drink alot of water.  Take care  Ken
    • Posted

Hi Kenneth, Thanks for the encouragement. Catheter comes out tomorrow morning and I'm very much looking forward to it. I typically don't have a problem getting a stream started, so I'm hoping all goes well. Thanks for the heads-up on the burning and especially the info on resuming intercourse. I don't know what to do about the Doxazosin. Staying on for 3 months seems like overkill to me. I guess my Doc is just being cautious. Have a great day.    Bill
  • Posted

Thirty hours post Urolift. At present, all pain remains confined to catheter issues, though when I laid down for a nap two hours ago, I felt nothing but an empty bladder--really quite a pleasant experience. I drank a gallon of water yesterday and woke up several times throughout the night checking and emptying the bag--maybe 3 hours of sleep, total. The first 200cc's of urine (6pm) looked exactly like cranberry juice, with no clots. The next time (450cc's at 7:30pm) looked like cranberry tea (fairly pale in color). The third time (200cc's at 8pm) was 95% clear. The fourth time (300cc's at 9pm) was clear. Each emptying since has been clear. The cath pain has decreased steadily and now, is quite manageable while up and moving around. Still no pain associated with the implants, though that may change tomorrow, when the cath is removed and they are exposed to urine flow for the first time. The cath has been an inconvenience, but I still recommend it for anyone  going through this procedure.

I am in good spirits--a lot of people have been praying for me.

Expect an update tomorrow evening. confused

• Posted

So glad it's going well for you and thank you so much for the updates
    • Posted

You will feeling some burning when you pee but you will never feel the implants.  They will set of the alarm at the airport.  Keep up the good work  Ken
  • Posted

Day 3 (8AM): Showed up at the Doc's office early to get catheter out--couldn't wait to get rid of that thing. The removal worried me as I've seen catheters with bulbs on the end to keep them from coming out. As it turned out, mine had an inflatable bulb, which was deflated before removal (9:30AM). It was still an experience, but was over very quickly. They offered to let me stay and make sure I could void, but they recommended, with confidence, that I just go home and drink plenty of fluids--then, if I hadn't voided by noon, I was to come back. I went ahead and took their advice with no small amount of concern. Arrived home 45 minutes later without incident. Drank 4 glasses of water and within one hour was able to void with some burning and stinging (Pain = 3 on a scale of 1-10), maybe 50cc in volume, and sporatic stream (2 on a scale of 1-10). I was pleased with that and relieved that I didn't have to return to the Doc. Also, there was no blood in the urine and no pain from the implants--only urethral pain when voiding. When not voiding, there has been no pain whatsoever. Since 9:30AM, there have been no urgent trips to the bathroom and no incontenance. It is now 5PM, and I have voided once each hour with improving symptoms--the number of visits were due to high water intake. Last time in the bathroom I produced 200cc with a stream equaling my best day before the procedure. So far, I am very pleased with the results. My am very optimistic. That's all for today, unless someone has a question. I will post again tomorrow.
  • Posted

I had the Urolift procedure done on 15th September 2015. My main problems were retention (around 260ml) and nocturia. (getting up 4-6 times a night) My prostate was 60grams, and I had no enlarged median lobe, which made me a good candidate I was told. The procedure was done at 2pm, and I had a catheter inserted while under GA. It was removed at midnight, and I was allowed to go home the following morning after 2 successful voids. Peed a lot of blood for a day or 2 which was to be expected, and had some pain on urination. Also very uncomfortable to sit on a hard chair for 3-4 weeks.

Now 8 weeks later, I'm glad I had the procedure. Still get up 2-3 times a night to void, but my Urologist said it could take up to 6 months for the bladder to recover fully. If I still have Nocturia in 6 months he will check kidneys, as I have a large 6cm cyst in my right kidney, which could be contributing to the problem.

Yesterday I had my 8 week renal ultrasound, and my retention was only 77ml (as compared to 260ml before Urolift)

So far, I'm quite pleased with my progress, and hoping for further improvement soon 

• Posted

Thanks Mal for a very informative post. I read it with great interest. Can you tell me if you were taking meds for your prostate, and if so, whether you've been able to stop them?
    • Posted

Hi Bill

Yes I was taking Flomaxtra. Had been on it for about 5 years, and my Urologist said I could stop it immediately, which I did. Good to be free of the meds!

It will take 3-4 weeks to recover I found, without the pain on urination, and pain on sitting on a hard chair. Hang in there Bill and good luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.