Urolift For Prostate Median Lobe

Posted , 8 users are following.

According to the American Urological Association, urolift is now recommended for an enlarged prostate median lobe. Apparently they move the median lobe and clip it to the lateral lobe. Has anyone had experience with this procedure and with what result? I am booked in with a doctor in Eastern Australia who is going to do this in November. I am prepared to pay for the cost of this (airfare, hotels and loss of income for my wife and myself), but want to know that it will work.

Two urologists in my city have stated that the best approach is to go inside the bladder, excise the protruding part of the median lobe, and then do the urolift on the lateral lobes to fully open the urethra.

So I am debating at this point which way to go. Any comments with your experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Royse

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've had the Urolift done twice. The first time I had relief for about 8 months. I then had the second one done about a year later and made no difference in spite of the urethra being opening up completely. They feel I could have bladder issues so I have more appointments scheduled to see if they can find some resolution. There is no guarantee on any of these procedures. I am sure you have a personal reason for going to Australia but there are plenty of competent US Urologists that obviously do it and medical covers it.  Good luck to you!

• Posted

I live in Australia. Would gladly go overseas but it seems all the techniques work for the majority, but there is that 10-20-30% that have problems afterwards. My concern about the urolift only for a median libe enlargement is that the prostate continues to grow, so like a year down the track are you back to where you started.
    • Posted

Royse that is true but not all men's prostate grow fast.  It is only about 5 % of men have that problem.  They have not figured out why.   And if it does it is made to hold it apart the clips are very strong and once they are set  they are not going any where.  I had mine done over 3 years ago and in November of last year I had a scope done and they are in the same place that my doctor put them in  Ken

• Posted

I've gone full circle with this stuff. The doctor's office in eastern Australia said that they do the median lobe urolift and he was involved in the initial research however, I was told by them if there is a high bladder neck that they need to put a nick in it to be able to secure the median lobe to the lateral lobe. They don't know that until that actually look inside the urethra.

• Posted

Please If you get a chance look at the trails.  That is not the way it was done.  I'm in contact with one of the inventor of the Urolift and I am the one that told on the doctor's that were doing things they were not suppose to do.  In Australia there is a Dr Chin that was clipping the bladder neck open. Cause more problems  The one in the UK I don't remember he's name but he did a laser bladder incision with the Urolift.  When the guy woke up he was in so much pain and the Urolift is not suppose to be like that.  Not saying that other thing can not be done but not at the same time.The Urolift is a procedure that stands on it's own.  The doctor has to give it a chance.  If for some reason that it does not work you may need more clips of the problem is not your prostate.  It is up to you But tell them no to the bladder neck nick at that time  ken    

• Posted

My understanding is that the bladder neck is circular. Just wondering what does bladder neck too high mean.
    • Posted

I believe the bladder neck too high means that if the median lobe is pushing up into the bladder in a certain way, it stretches the neck of the bladder.
    • Posted

Thank u! One picture worths a thousand words! High means long.

with that long bladder neck, don't see how the medium lobe could protrude into the bladder. If it does manage to protrude, don't see how it could be pulled back by Urolift without bladder neck incision. Physical evidence suggests the urologist suggestion is correct that is remove the bladder neck first then Urolift.

i seem to remember bladder neck incision has a low chance (<10%) of RE, but may have (transient?) incontinence because the bladder neck is one of the two internal sphincters.

• Posted

Is not having RE the most important and only criteria in choosing a treatment plan?
    • Posted

Sorry Thomas I couldn’t find that image anywhere, Page 28?
    • Posted

And once the prostate is out of the bladder then the bladder neck will relax without cutting  Ken
    • Posted

Well this is my opinion and I have some men that think the same way.  RE should be one of the factors in picking a procedure.  I get sick and tired of doctors telling us we don't need it because we are old.  Or some other funny remarks.  We should not have to give up anything just to pee better.  That is crap  Amen  Ken  .   

• Posted

Agree. My wife and I couldn’t believe it when one urologist recommended the full TURP and said I would have RE and urinary retention issues, but I could train my pelvic muscles. He was so flippant about it, then argued and got angry if we recommended checking out alternatives. Needless to say I am staying clear of his office.
    • Posted

Thank you Thomas.
    • Posted

That is good.  What ever you do do not let them bulling you into anything.  It is your body and you will be the one that will have to deal with any side effects.  Good luck  Ken
    • Posted

That is great.  I love my Urologist  He is only 39 and he calls me his challenges.  Because I am all ways asking question and I will only let him do what we talked about nothing added.  Even when I have any surgery you only do what you told me.  no surprises.  Because you do know that when you sign for a surgery they can do what ever they feel is for your own good even if you have all ready told them no.  I have them sign a paper before any surgery.  Take care  Ken 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.