UROLIFT-HAD IT THIS MORNING...............

Posted , 17 users are following.

Not quite as "simple" as I was hoping for.  Iam drinking a ton of water as its been 7+ hours now.  Had to go back to the Doctors office about 3 hours after procedure and the nurse showed me how to catheter myself- a new experience for me.  Right now at 7+ hours my wife and I just cathered me again a "second time".   Just took my first pain pill as it hurts like hell.  When I attempt to pee out comes about 10 drops of red blood.  Very little pee coming out.  The Uro thought I have clots up there.  Iam thinking it will be pretty much a sleepless night tonight but we'll see.  Much more difficulty than I was anticapating to be real honest with you.  Just for the record the Uro said my prostate was between 45 and 50 grams and he said I was the perfect candidate for this procedure.  The Uro put me on "Ciprofloxacin 500mg", "Phenazopyridine 200mg," "Hydrocodone 325mg", and "Rapaflo 8mg".  All 4 of these drugs are "temporary" until I heal up.  God Bless YOU Guys!!!!!!!!  I will keep you updated for those that are interested. 

1 like, 63 replies

63 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Chuck:

Sorry you thought we weren't interested. I for one have been waiting with bated breath for your next update.

Glad to hear your difficulties have mostly passed.  Regarding frequency at night, I'm no doc, but my instinct is that the bladder has to be retrained after years of not being able to perform as it was intended.

I'm taking Rapaflo, and getting up 1-2 times per night, and have to take something to help me get back to sleep.  I don't mind the Rapaflo as much as some on this forum, but I'd obviously rather not have to take any medication, and I dream of being able to sleep through the night again.

Please keep providing your updates, and good luck.

• Posted

Thank You for the kind words Thomas.  All in all my life is going well.  Do I wish I could get thru the night without getting up.  Yes.  I think you are right as I have to retrain the "brain" and the "bladder".  Life is never easy.  Iam not sorry one bit that I had the procedure as it has improved my life.  Haven't had sex yet but I think in the next day or two my wife and I will give it a try!!!!!
  • Posted

Hi guys,

Thank you so much for all your info posted here. I am researching on behalf of my husband, for a Urolift doctor in the Los Angeles area. I have found a couple but I'd like to hear from someone out there that has used them!! My husband is 74 and very healthy. Only meds he is currently on are Flomax which is begining to not work for him.

• Posted

If you go to Urolift.com, they will give you a list of certified doctors in your area. That, along with what you read here might be helpful.

Neal

• Posted

Thank you. Have already called the two doctors in the area. One has only done 6 Urolift procedures, and the other has done just over 25. obviously we will go see the one that has done more of the procedures...but I wonder how that compares to the doctors out-of the-area. Or in the UK? Any comments from anyone?
  • Posted

Hi again, just wanted to update you on my post TURP (standard op), its  5 months since the op, and i only go 1 time to pee during the night!! If i do not drink after 9pm, then, no visit`s!! I like a mug of hot water before  bed , so that`s too bad! Sex no problem, but the retro  ejac has given way to a "dribble".... things are improving on that front. I am back to the Uro  in Oct so will report on his comments again later, feep positive my friend and some exercise will help (walking to start!)regards...Syd

• Posted

Hi Everyone;  Iam doing pretty well.  I do get up still 3 times a night but thats better than the 4 and 5 it use to be.  I have no idea why because I know the "channel" is wide open and the river flows like Niagra Falls when I go.  So as the old saying goes, "it is what it is".  Iam not looking to do any other procedures as now I have done two.  First was the "PAE" last fall and then the "Urolift" on June 23rd.   Iam just going to learn to live with it the way it is.   GOOD LUCK TO ALL.
    • Posted

How long ago did you have it? And does your urologist say it's likely to stay 3x/night or will it likely improve? I'm scheduled for Urolift next month, but may or may not go through with it. Trying to decide. Thanks.
    • Posted

Dan;  I had the "Urolift" on June 23rd, 2015.  I can "guarantee" you that the urologist will tell you this: "Well Dan every man responds just a little differently to these things and there is no way to tell for sure how many times a night you will be getting up but I do anticapate you seeing improvement".  Mark it down Dan thats exactly what he's going to say to you.  I have over the years been to "multiple" Urologists and they all say the "same line" which I just gave you.   Good Luck to You. 
  • Posted

It's a funny thing Chuck that you have posted as I was thinking this week that I should find out how you are going. I wonder if you are still in the mode of the bladder retraining which my surgeon told me would have to happen - especially as you have great flow. Maybe you need to take some to calm the bladder down for a while so it loses muscle. 

My situation is much better in terms of frequency and I can generally sleep 5 or 6 hours and sometimes 8 without getting up. Flying is also considerably better. However my flow has reduced considerably from the firehose I had for the first month and I am sure i am not emptying my bladder fully.Sometimes I get better flow but nothng like it was. I did have a really bad infecton about 6 or 7 weeks after the op where I was peeing blood and clots so not sure if that may have caused this. Overall though life is much better and I am not running out of meetings or dinners all the time to pee. Hope your bladder settles down.

All the best.

Kevin

• Posted

Hello Chuck,    I had mine done a little over 3 weeks ago.   Sounds very familiar.   After mine I came home (90 miles away) and pretty  much just slept.   the next day I realized that I could only dribble at best, and had a little blood too.    so I held out but the next day after  not going at all I realized that I was retaining and was feverish etc    so I went to the emergency room and they did a cath.  on me.    went to see my doc, and he said I  must be swollen and enflamed,  a week later I had plans to move my daughter 1800 miles away so my doc said leave it in and come see me when your back.    after all that, he removed it and I stayed in town for 6 hours to make sure i was able to pee.     sure enough i did, but the next day I was back to a dribble,  went back to see my doc, again,   and after long discussion he simply put me on Motrin to battle against the inflamation.   So I tookk 2,  200mg and headed home,   2 hours later I p*ssed like a horse,   man what a feeling,   after at least 15 - 20 yrs of battleing this.    I was on Norco for any pain,  and Ciproflaxin for any possible infection.   having the cath. in me was a bit inconvienient but, but not uncomfortable,   plus i had the benefit of knowing that urine was not building up in me.   You may want to ask your dr.. if  self cathing may possibly be causing addl inflamation in you and if doing it can affect the integrity of the procedure,   I would think going in and out with a cath could poss. be detrimental over just leaving one inn for a week while you heal up.     Good Luck,    in the end it will all be worth it!!
  • Posted

Hi Chuck

Had mine 3 days ago.  Had similar time to you initially although no catheter.  A little better now but worse than before op.  Will post my experience somewhere in more detail later. 

All the best to us all!

• Posted

Hi all,

Scheduled for Sep. 10. Should I go ahead with it? Am 59, and pee 3-4x/night.

Dan

• Posted

Dan;  The answer is a resounding "YES" go ahead with it.  Now from a guy that thought he was going to die in the ER waiting room please "hear me out".  They need (after the procedure) to "clean you out".  You are going to have blood clots and they are going to get caught in your uretha and prevent you from a nice flow.  Thats what happened to me and at out 7PM that "same evening" I stood over the stool after drinking about 64 oz of water and couldn't pee for the life of me!!!!!  I put a catheter in me that the Doctors office had given me but it was too "small" and nothing came out except just a little.  At the ER Hospital they put in a "Big Catheter" and yes it hurt like holy hell but atleast it "opened me up" and I drained out like a river about 70 oz of blood and bloody pee and nasty clots.   I don't want you to go thru what I went thru.  I wouldn't wish that on anyone!!!!!!!   In the waiting room of the ER I just about past out on their nice "marble floor".  We finally got out of there about 2AM and the bill was over $3,000 that I had to pay myself!!!!!!   Yes, it went towards my deductible but I still paid it.  The "Pain" was "Unbelievable".  I pray you don't have to have that experience.  If the "Doctors Office" had got me to empty properly before "leaving" I would not have had to live thru that agony. 
    • Posted

Thanks. My guy has done around 70 of these, and it's standard procedure with him that the patient is not released to go home until he's had one or two good pees. He didn't say what happens if he can't pee. I imagine then they catheter him. Fingers crossed (as the Brits say here), that won't be the case.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.