UROLIFT-HAD IT THIS MORNING...............

Posted , 17 users are following.

Not quite as "simple" as I was hoping for.  Iam drinking a ton of water as its been 7+ hours now.  Had to go back to the Doctors office about 3 hours after procedure and the nurse showed me how to catheter myself- a new experience for me.  Right now at 7+ hours my wife and I just cathered me again a "second time".   Just took my first pain pill as it hurts like hell.  When I attempt to pee out comes about 10 drops of red blood.  Very little pee coming out.  The Uro thought I have clots up there.  Iam thinking it will be pretty much a sleepless night tonight but we'll see.  Much more difficulty than I was anticapating to be real honest with you.  Just for the record the Uro said my prostate was between 45 and 50 grams and he said I was the perfect candidate for this procedure.  The Uro put me on "Ciprofloxacin 500mg", "Phenazopyridine 200mg," "Hydrocodone 325mg", and "Rapaflo 8mg".  All 4 of these drugs are "temporary" until I heal up.  God Bless YOU Guys!!!!!!!!  I will keep you updated for those that are interested. 

1 like, 63 replies

63 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Which is better: Urolift or PAE? Trying to decide.

Dan

• Posted

Good question.

I have gone for Urolift but am wondering whether I did right.

I am 11 days after the operation and the stream is maybe worse than before.

I am wondering whether my problem is the prostate pushing into the bladder rather than the constriction of the urethra, in which case I can't see that Urolift will help.  Perhaps shrinking the prostate as a whole would be better.

I wonder if anyone has had Urolift followed by PAE.

I am just speculating and really don't know

Mike

• Posted

Thanks, Mike. Can you please let us know in another week how you are getting on? Others have had a slow recovery, but it's supposed to get better eventually.

Dan

• Posted

I've been monitoring everyone's Urolift results here and I wish all of you who've taken the plunge the very best.

There's a Urologist here in the Central Valley of California that does the Urolift, and my Urologist is in the same group.  When I discussed the procedure with my Urologist, he kind of pooh-poohed it, possibly because he is just more trusting of the tried and true procedures.  However, he did raise a couple of issues that I think are valid, and I'd like to know if others here have considered them, and possibly discussed them with their docs.

One concern, of course, is that we don't know the long term effects, and there's not much we can do about that one except wait.  But as one who has had a high PSA level and a biopsy, I also wonder how having the implants might make cancer diagnoses more difficult.  Will scan techniques like CT and MRI still work?  Would it still be possible to have a prostate biopsy (can't imagine why I'd want another, but I'm just sayin).

Finally, the group I mentioned above, CCUA, has been referenced in one of these forums, but I can't find it now.  If anyone can post a link to that post, it'd be most appreciated.

Thanks to all who have time to comment.

• Posted

Hello Thomas,  the Urology Group I used here in the Central Valley, was  "Urology Associates of Central California"  located in Fresno.   The Dr. who performed mine was William Schiff.  There is about 10 urologists in the association and anything with urology is all they do.  They have there own surgery center there as well as anything else they may need.    They also have another office about 5 miles from there which is called the " Dept. of Sexual Health"   they are very pro-active, and do give seminars periodically on the Urolift.  I went to one of them,  drove 85 miles to hear what they had to say,  also had a Q & A session.

Just thought I would throw that in there for good measure.   Actually I was working with the Urolift people out of Pleasanton, (their main office in the US),  and they referred me to him.

• Posted

Anthony:

Thanks for the response.  My urologist is in the UACC group, and I went to one of Dr. Schiff's seminars.  I was concerned about his experience level and consequently had considered going to the guy in Las Vegas who was involved in the trials.  Although it seems like a pretty straight forward procedure, I have to believe more experience is better than less.

Did you get a feel for how many of these Dr. Schiff has done, and how are you doing now?

I'm taking Rapaflo and getting up 1 trending toward 2 times per night, but have to go about every 3 hours during the day.  I'm not sure my problem is severe enough yet to justify a Urolift, but I'm watching with great interest the results of those that have done it.

• Posted

Thomas,  as you know the Urolift is new to everyone so finding a Dr. that has done several of these is probably rare.   I asked Dr. Schiff how many he has done approx 2 mos ago and he said around 10-12  and the most clips he had put in was 6,  as for me he said he put 5 in.   It has been a little over a month now so I would have to say  that he has a few more he has done.   i go back in next week for a check up and also to have a testopel put in.   I will make it a point to ask how many at this point he has done.

As for my progress,  my flow and volume is fantastic!   I can not remember when I peed so good.   I feel like I empty.   the force is very strong and the stream is incredible.   i actually took a video while I was peeing was thinking of posting here.   Before I had it done i was very slow to start and had to squeeze my penis to create some back pressure so i could get some kind of stream ,  dribbled a lot and split stream..   I am suppose to be getting off the tamsulosin, (flow max) next week as well.   

• Posted

Hello everyone, I had the revision surgery of my Urolift almost 5 days ago and the results are looking good so far. There has not been as spectacular a change at this stage but it seems that it is getting better each day with my only problem being frequency. They say this is because I had a catheter in for 10 days before the revision, after having my whole system stop working, and it means my bladder got used to being empty and now needs time to work out that it can hold more fluid. The period of time with the catheter was bloody awful and I feel sorry for all of you having to use one. I hope I never have to again.

So what was wrong - it seems that my prostate was longer than they thought at the time and it was blocking higher up towards the bladder. The original Urolifts were still soing there job. So Dr Chin inserted 5 more Urolifts (original op was 6) one of which he put into the middle lobe as their was a possibiity that might also be part of the problem. This time post op was a breeze compared to last time - there was comparatively minimal blood and clots this time and although recovery was stll painful and I still had a catheter being flushed by saline, it was very clear. Evidently this time they gave me Valium just before the anethestic as this has proved effective in reducing blood issues.

So I am happy I have given Urolift another go as it is still better than a TURP in relation to the side effects even though I had to pay for it all myself this time as my insurance will only pay for one overseas procedure a year.

My flow is now good,, but not as powerful as the first time yet, and will be even better once I get the bladder capable of holding more - part of this is a mind thing to stop yourself from going. Currently I am going every 2 hours. I can only see improvement from here, it just needs time to settle in.

What I dont know is how long it will last. I am hopeful for at least 3 years - ideally 5, but we will see what happens. Some who had it over 5 years ago are still going fine, although their data says there is a 10% revision rate.

If I have to have another procedure I am thinking seriously that it will be the HOLEP laser. 

One other thing I learnt is that in the USA the surgeons are not allowed to use a Urolift on the middle lobe not sure why but probably that technique is not currently certified. The thing about this though is that noone really knows if the middle lobe is the problem until they get the hubble telescope up there and have a good look.

All the best to the rest of you guys out there with Urolift on your mind.

Happy to take questions.

Kevin

• Posted

Hi Kevin

Pleased to hear the revision appears to be working....I hope it is completely successful this time. Did Dr Chin charge again for the revision? or was this included with the first procedure?

I'm booked in this afternoon to have Urolift also, with Dr David Sillar (John Flynn hospital, Gold Coast) I'm feeling a bit apprehensive, but trying to remain positive

all the best,

Mal

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.