Urolift limitations in urinary retention !!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

This is something I just found out today.

Phew !!! 😨 I almost had a Urolift done last year, when my 2nd uro recommended it. My only problem was urinary bladder retention, that many of us have. The only thing that stopped me was my request to know before hand my prostate size and whether or not I have large median lobe. My uro declined that, saying "We'll find that out when I do Urolift."

Now looking at the study results posted above, which compares Urolift, TURP, and HolEp respectively, indicates that Urolift does practically nothing for retention, my Urolift would have ended in a failure. My uro was either ignorant or in great need to pay for his yatch.

Hope this helps others with retention and are planning to have Urolift. Hank

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Another study that confirms Urolift limitations

"Careful patient selection is paramount for surgical success and certainly it is not suitable for all patients with bladder outflow obstruction (see Table 1). Overall, there are three key factors, which potentially exclude a patient from receiving this surgical option. Firstly, men with obstructing median lobes are contraindicated and therefore should undergo preoperative cystoscopy to determine prostate anatomy and size. Secondly, it is not recommended for those patients with large prostate burdens (>100 ml). Finally, it is not suitable for patients with a history of urinary retention."

• Posted

Agree, I went for a urolift having been diagnosed as suffering from chronic retention under the advice of my urologist and surgeon (an esteemed professor no less) at a cost of $10k and it failed. I was then talked into an 'ejaculate preserving' bladder neck resection and have had nothing but trouble since (and still have to CIC). Caveat emptor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.