Urolift/MedLift Update

Posted , 4 users are following.

As I previously mentioned, I had a failed Rezum an d then a Uroloft/Medlift on 2/24. The median lobe was my primary issue which has been completely resolved with the Medlift. . I had 6 pins : 4 on the walls and 2 through the median lobe. I also wore the catheter for 6 days after the procdure. Since the catheter removal on Monday, things are WIDE open. I cannot believe it. The results have exceeded my expectations and feel like I have my life back.

I hope two things for all of you: (1) that you will never have to wear a catheter for 3 months, and (2) you get the same kind of results that I did with Uro/MedLift.

Thanks for all of your support while I have been dealing with this.

Jeff

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

My experience was the opposite. I had Urolift/medlift with 5 clips about 16 months ago. After about 4 months flow, or lack of, was back to where it had started after improving initially. In my case I only had one lower clip in the median lobe which just grew around it. What was worse was the constant pain for the past 16 months. It was there straight after coming round from the operation, a severe pain, off to the right side. Over time it diminished but was still there.

I was retaining 300 to 400ml urine after doing the best I could. So was offered more clips or a TURP. I chose the TURP and had that done 11 days ago with an overnight catheter. Negligible pain compared to Urolift. The surgeon said he completely removed the lower clip including both ends and what joins them; maybe he realised he made a mistake with that one which I think was causing my pain. Too early to say if that is resolved due to other discomforts.

On night 3 I went into full retention and had to have a catheter put in at A&E. They wouldn't do anything until a urologist had come in as I had surgery so I had to wait and wait in sheer agony while they continued to 'bleep' a urologist. Retention at around 2am, arrived at hospital 5:45am, drained at 9:45am; the longest 4 hours of my life! Left with a Foley Cath which has been in for 1 week

Catheter comes out tomorrow for a trial; I hope it doesn't need to go back in.

I hope it stays good for you Jeff. The advice now is to use two lower clips at 5 and 7 o clock. Mine was 1 clip at 6 o clock. If I'd had two then maybe The Urolift would have been successful for a while.

However my advice would be to avoid Urolift except for the standard opening up the prostate if you have no median lobe issues.

• Posted

Sorry you went through all of this. What an ordeal! I can't imagine being in pain for such a long time. And to endure being in retention for so long, that had to be terrible. I sure hope the Turp works for you. If things go south for me, that is what I am going to do.

Good luck and all the best.

Jeff

• Posted

Hi Jeff,

Cath out and I passed the volume and residual tests so back to peeing naturally. Still seeing blood but I would expect that at this stage. Too early to say if the op was successful but so far so good.

• Posted

Great to hear that things are working and you're on the mend. I will not take peeing for granted ever again!

jeff

• Posted

I had urolift about 1 1/2 years ago complete failure. Had two clips removed from my bladder about 9 months ago, and just got back today from a TURP to remove the remaining clips. It looks like the original doctor went rogue tried to tether my bladder to the prostate. I have some great pics of stones forming on the urolift clips. Too soon to tell if the surgery will be a success, I'm fairly sure that the original doc would have suggested additional urolift clips because they make him big bucks.

• Posted

It doesn't sound like you had the best doc. Mine told me that he needed to stay clear of the bladder neck, so that I wouldn't have a problem with stones. Hope your results are much better with the TURP,

Jeff

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.