Urolift Procedure

Posted , 10 users are following.

Over a year ago I had this procedure. Prior to my doctor sent me information and I researched it over the internet. I even spoke with a referral patient from my doctor who was over 80 and reported a 50% improvement with his urination issue. I decided to do it. A general anesthetic and a short procedure. What isn't told generally (in my experience) is what comes immediately after the procedure. First, I had to have a cathiter and because there are a lot of blood clots to pass has to be relatively large. This caused a lot of pain and discomfort, more than I ever imagined. My doctor said I was experiencing bladder spasms, normal. Details are that when I had a BM the pain was excrusiating. This went on for more that several days until I could have the catheter removed. The end result, absolutely no improvement with my urination frequency. I tried to get off my medication (Alfuzosin) and that wasn't possible. My doctor told me I was the only case like this and he has done over a 100 procedures. There was even some pain after a couple of months that appeared as though something had shifted. This happened immediately after intercourse. I made an appointment to go back to my doctor to discuss this and before the appointment (a month or so) it suddenly disappeared. So I am back to square one contemplating more medications, going through the Urolift again or more extreme measures. Before you do this do your homework. My regular doctor was a bit more candid about the procedure so obtain more than one opinion.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I had not heard of Eurolift so I Googled it. Certainly looks like big business. What I didn't like is at all was the statement on the web page 'The UroLift System is a revolutionary approach to treating BPH that lifts and holds the enlarged prostate tissue out of the way so it no longer blocks the urethra. It is the only BPH procedure that does not require cutting, heating or removal of the prostate tissue.' As one who has had a PAE with great results, zero pain (in my case) and minimal discomfort I can say that a PAE 'does not require cutting, heating or removal of the prostate tissue.' Worth invertigating it perhaps Lester. There is lots of information on this forum. Cheers, Ian

• Posted

My impression after the event and more research was in fact what you say, big business. I am not familiar with the PAE but I will be soon.

Thank you.

My best,

L.

• Posted

"First, I had to have a cathiter and because there are a lot of blood clots to pass has to be relatively large. "

Interesting. I did not have a catheter <u>because</u> of the clots that were expected.  There were several large ones right away and a few minor the next morning but I can't imagine any of them making it through a catheter. 

Since following this thread I've seen a good number of different approaches to the procedure from general anesthesia and catheters to neither as was mine. 

Agreed it good to 'do your homework' as you say. There are at least several criteria that indicate a Urolift candidate as well as some conditions that specificlly exclude the person. Best to pin the Urologist down to make sure all have been taken into account. Having all the info is critical to being able to do this.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Agreed. My requirement for a catheter was not the clots but the inability to urninate (swelling I guess) after the proceedure which I learned later is not that uncommon. Big surprise to me the proceedure was big zero.

Thanks,

L.

• Posted

Sorry your having a problem.  I had mine done April of 2015.  Most of the time you don't have a catheter.  He must have had a problem  I did have a catheter but my doctor and I talked about it before.  I have a probem peeing on demand.  So it s best for me.  Do hate them.  I had some some clogs but by the end of the day the urine was pink.  You should be fine sometime you need more implantsants did he put in.  I had 4 all is good with me.  I was fine after a week on no meds.  Remember we all heal diffrent. I'm hear if you need to talk  Ken

• Posted

Encouraging your worked. I haven't heard catheters are rare. My family doctor said they are common after the fact. Should have spoke to him previously. My urnine was pink for a long time, days and days. Not sure how many clips he applied. You are very fortunate with dropping the meds.

Thanks,

• Posted

Should have said not pink for a long, long time.
  • Posted

You might want to post this in one of the established urololift threads. You also might want to consult with other docs before moving forward as unfortunately most urologists are only familiar with the type of procedure they perform.

Jim

• Posted

Where would that be? You are correct. This doc is big on this proceedure. He is considered very knowledgeable in the area and very experienced. Might should get another opinion.

Thanks,

L.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.