Urolift Procedure

Posted , 10 users are following.

Ive had BPH for many years and after tolerating the intolerable side effects from Flomax and Proscar I decided to have the Uroloft procedure done. I looked for with great optimizim that this would be ulimate solution for my problem. I am now 3 months post-op and have to call this procedure a failure. Urinary frequency is back and urine flow is extremely poor. I can no longer urinate standing up as the stream that is produced sprays nearly 180 degrees . There is a lot of pressure when urinating as I can feel the urethra enlarging but find myself bending, twisting and kneading my penis to void. I had the procedure done at a hospitals outpatient surgical center and had a catheter in place 5 days post op. My doctor says there may still be some inflammation and advised me to start back on either the Flomax or proscar. The reason for choosing to have the urolift procedure to begin with was to eliminate the need for these drugs.

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Yikes! I Just talked to my urologist Dr last Tue, he gave me a booklet on the Urolift proceedure. I've been reading about all the options here, and is not easy to decide. At present I take flo max w/ little side effects, & it has helped so far. Only been on it for 45 days, todays date is March 30, 2019. I am in N. California, east of Sacramento, Ca. What state did you have it done or in UK?

• Posted

Florida - The Flomax over time was causing some cognitive impairment, memory issues and palpitations.

• Posted

Robert,

Before you had the Urolift did you confirm the presence or absence of a median lobe issue? If you do have a median lobe the Urolift might not work as expected. Same with PAE. For median lobe there is a medlift procedure - you may be well aware of this already.

Sorry you are having issues - I am going through similar issues trying to pee. Have to get up multiple times per night to pee little squirts each time. Lots of retention (200ml). Can't really empty my bladder. Can't fall asleep or stay asleep with the little bladder tickling that says "go to the bathroom". Once I get that calmed down I can get back to sleep but this can take multiple trips to the bathroom over anywhere from 10-30 minutes, and once in a while an hour.

I am going in for a bipolar TURP on Friday. The sleep issue is so bad for me I have to do something now.

Best to you,

Tom

• Posted

Yes there was a median lobe. After the procedure, my doctor said he had to use a fifth clip because of the median lobe. Dont know. Thanks for your input

• Posted

With the Med Lift procedure there is a special way they clip the median lobe, based on a one year clinical study of the Med Lift procedure. The Urolift company has been sending a team of experts around to train doctors how to do it. The Med Lift procedure was FDA approved in Spring of 2018.

• Posted

Sorry to hear your having problems Robert...One thing to consider is what procedure will allow one to ditch the Meds. ? Size , medium lobe, as well the general health of the Prostate will determine the type of procedure. One thing for sure with Urolift...the prostate will continue growing..With a Holep procedure you would not need the meds ..Take your time looking and do the research.

The Best Only

• Posted

I think regrowth of prostate tissue occurs regardless of the type of procedure. My dad had 2 turps done about 8 years apart. I think it depends on the patient and history. Thanks for your input.

• Posted

Prostates are like a weed that grows forever. I Had GL for 75 grm prostate in 2004 By 2013 it had regrown to 135 grm when I had Thulium/Holmium laser, That took away 80 grms. As my PSA is only 0.70 down from 7.8 I'm assuming that it has not grown much. I avoid DRE's as the last one stimulated my Vagus nerve and put me into AF.

• Posted

Robert, I had the urolift done on March 5th. I thought it was working, but now I'm getting up at night just like before I had it, my doctor said to give it more time. I think it may be a bladder issue instead of prostate, but I don't know. Maybe I need a Turp now ?

• Posted

You may need a little more time. I'm 3 months out so dont think the procedure worked. Hope you get relief and better results soon.

• Posted

Had mine 8 months ago and the same result as you. After more extensive testing if it shows nothing guess I'll look into the PAE...............Billy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.