Urolift procedure auestion

Posted , 9 users are following.

did anyone have urolift procedure done and not be able to pee for more than 1 1/2 weeks after procedure when you went into it being able to pee on your own?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

NO, I am sorry to hear about your situation. I only had relief of my BPH issue for less than 2 days, then my frequent urination returned. The doctor tells me I received "appropriate care" yet why did my symptoms return? I have yet to find a medical malpractice attorney that will take my case. Best wishes.

• Posted

Hello Bigd1,

I had 6 clips inserted September 2017. I was always holding in excess of 300 cc of urine and had chronic prostatitis. After the procedure, to the best of my memory, I was unable to urinate at all for well over two weeks. After about a month or so my urologist performed a cystoscopy and found the urolift successful but my bladder spinchter was not working properly and to give it more time. I personally think the urolift procedure had something to do with that. But it's only a guess. Regardless, I did intermittent cathing until my functioning improved. Now after almost two years since the procedure, I can urinate much better although there are times when I will cathe simply for convenience, comfort and keeping my bladder empty. Considering all this, I think there was value in having the urolift done in lieu of other surgery. If I was to offer some advice I would say eliminate caffeine, drink about 80 ounces of fluid daily and absolutely learn to cathe yourself. I will repeat this for emphasis. Learn to cathe yourself. It is simple, nearly painless, will give you your life back and keep you out of the emergency room if you get retention. I use the Coloplast SpeediCath - 14" Male Hydrophilic Coude Intermittent Catheter. They cost about $3.00 a piece. This is all you need to give you peace of mind and your life back. There is almost no downside to self-cathing. Perhaps some of the other men on this forum will comment who have more experience than me. To your question about not being able to pee after 1 1/2 weeks. I would not be concerned. Sometimes these things take more time to resolve themselves and every man is different. Again, learn to cathe.

• Posted

Perhaps better to confirm state of bladder and strictures before going in for urolift or any procedure, so that doctors don't have excuses when patients come back with complaints.

• Posted

Learn to cathe yourself. Good advice !

There is almost no downside to self-cathing. Not true ! I have been cathing for about 4 years. The first 2 weeks were awful, so much pain and and serious bleeding. For 3 years after that, I still had frequent bleeding, until I found out I was using too stiff catheters. Now I am finally free of bleeding, after switching to softer ones, about 9 months ago.

And I am a lucky one. Some people, though not very many, had more serious and permanent damages to their urethra, like urethra false passages, and urethral strictures, that required surgeries. From what I learnt, nothing is without risk.

• Posted

thanks for the response carl. All i have been getting is a few drips when i try to go and then my wife self caths for me as she used to be a cna. The problem with trying to be patient is there is no way i can go to work in this condition as i am a electrician and only 60 years old. I have to make it to 62 before i can retire. I am hopeing these drips turn into at least a weak stream soon as today is my 10th day post procedure.

• Posted

Hi BIGD. my urolift worked perfectly with 3clips completely removing urethra obstructions. however still up at night every 1.5hrs. urologist says it is due to the bladder losing elasticity as it has been pushing urine through a constricted urethra for 4 years. so it sonds like no matter which prostate system one chooses the result is likely to be poor due to the bladder condition. ps look up trabeculated. Geoff 72.

• Posted

I had it done and was able to pee almost immediately. In fact, I couldn't leave the hospital until they ensured that I could. Actually, the first one was success in that it was good for about six months then I returned with night time frequency issues again. Then 1 1/2 yr later I had it again to no avail. The urologists feel I have a bladder issue though not sure, so I'm getting some treatments for that. However, I know many have had success with the urolift and post operative problems are none existent or minimal.

• Posted

rlast i would settle for being able to pee like i did when i walked in there over just getting out a few drips like i am now.

• Posted

sorry to hear this. please get second and third opinions.

• Posted

I had urolift 10 months ago, and now I have to go every hour, so it must have failed. I will have to do something else soon cause lack of sleep is killing me

• Posted

Hi. I also had urolift and the 3 clips completely removed obstructions to the urethra. however i am still up every hour and a half. my urologist says it is because the bladder has lost elasticity, look up trabeculated.

So it doesn't seem to matter which prostate treatment one has if the bladder has lost function due to pushing urine through a constricted urethra. Geoff

• Posted

I am sorry to hear of your situation. The lack of sleep is also affecting me (I was free of BPH symptoms for less than 2 days) yet the doctor says I received "adequate care". I wish I could find a malpractice attorney to take my case. Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.