urolift procedure didn't work

Posted , 22 users are following.

HI, I am healthy non smoking 65 year old, very active physically and overall healthy. I had the urolift procedure done May 23 2015 at which time the surgeon installed 5 clips. Prior to surgery I was on 8 mg of flomax which made it possible for me to urinate.I did wear a catheter bag for awhile then. After surgery I was on 4mg of flomax for approx. 1 month. I was able to urinate adequately for about 8 weeks. Never but once what you would consider a flow. At about the 9th week I started slowing down again until it got to the point (about 11 weeks) where it took me 8 minutes to start peeing and then it took two more times in the next half hour to finally eliminate somewhat completely. Now in the 14th week  of post op I'm on 8mg of flomax right back where I was before surgery.I am now considering what options are available to me now.

4 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Bill,

Don't know where you are but before anymore cutting and surgery I would suggest PAE. I had it three weeks ago and it has worked.

• Posted

Hi Whitebeach, thanks for your response. I will look into PAE. I'm learning that there are  more options out there than I was aware of...
    • Posted

Hi white beach, just curious on how the pae has worked for you. I'm on a Foley bag full-time after the urolift and 8mg. Of flomax failed to work. Considering pae or holep at this point.
    • Posted

Thanks for posting this, whitebeach. Can you tell me where you had it done?  Thanks.
  • Edited

Hi bill

Sorry to hear about that, I was told that having a TURP is the way to go and I'm having mine done of Friday. I know all about the retrograde etc but I'm more concerned about long term health benefits now. I was going to pay for a Plasma Button, and he suggested that I have the TURP, that has to tell you something. Good luck with it all. I'll keep you posted on my results. It is clear from reading these posts that we are all different and react differently to procedures. I hope that you find a solution. I don't think any one of the surgeries is 100% guaranteed, the prostate grows like a wild weed.

Mike

• Posted

I have several friends that had the turp procedure done years ago and have had no problems at all...ever..... what is the the plasma button you referred to....thanks...bill
    • Posted

Hi Bill, I wanted to have the Plasma Button done and was going to pay for it, however, once the surgeon did an exam on me, he said it was a TURP that I needed. So he called a fellow surgeon and I went over to his office and was examined and surgery will be done this Friday. Head over to Google and type in Plasma button and look for a video, I watched a few of them on there, as well as the TURP surgery. I chose the Plasma Button because of recovery time, much less than the TURP, however, the TURP seems to be the 'go-to' procedure to get the job done correctly, if I can say that. I suppose because its been done the longest and has more history to it than the newer procedures, that they understand it better over a longer period of time. 

I just want to go thru this situation once and do not want to end up going back in for another operation, and from what I have read, if there is difficulty with other procedures, the patient ends up having to go thru a TURP to fix things. But I'm sure that others will have different opinons on this topic. Its great to hear others talk from experience dealing with the prostate.  Best of luck.

• Posted

I red up on the Plasma Button.  It around the same as a Turp just a diffrent kind of instrument.  You will have the same side effect as the turp.  Good luck.  I watch one of the videos I am glad they put you out when they do it  Ken
    • Posted

After TURP in 2013, I would not recommend it as the first option. The side effects are not good from my experience - especially retrograde ejaculation. To me this is a procedure promoted by someone who just wants money especially when you are told there are no comparable alternatives. of course there are no comparable alternatives in terms of the undesirable side effects.
    • Posted

I am sorry your having a problem.  Were you told of any other procedures or did they talk you into it..Ken 
    • Posted

Yes that is true we are all diffrent.  We will never know what will work for us.  I had a Uro-lift done in April and it worked fine.  Chunk on here had the PAE cost him $10.000 and it did not work. Had a Uro-lift done and his doing fine.Just before you pick a procedure tou are aware of all that come with it.  Good health to all  Ken  Never heard of a Plasma Button have to see what that is??
    • Posted

Can I ask your age?

I'm 48 an doctors are telling me the TURP is my last option.

But I did some research an I've had 2 other urologist say that I can benefit from a urolift.

Just make sure your ok with the sexual side effect of the TURP. Once it's gone its gone.

• Posted

Don't let any one tell you that a turp is the last option Do the urolife first abd see what happens at 48 do you what to have dry orgasms.  At 60 I said no was.  The uro-lifT was FINE. Go to the other urologist because once they cut away at your prostate your done  Ken
  • Posted

I am sorry that you are having a problem.  I am 60 had mind done 4 month's ago.  4 clips.  After a week I was off all meds and peeing great.  Maybe the flomax and the catheter di something to your bladder.  Take care and I hope you get better  Ken
    • Posted

Hi Bill

I am sorry to hear about that. I had my Urolift done three months ago and feel great, no problem. Hope it works out ok for you and that you feel better. Roland

• Posted

CUTE.  I am having one on th 10th of september to is if the urolift make more scare tissue on my stricture.  Last 6 weeks have had some leaking a couple of times a week.  We will see.  Not to into having things put in me but thats life..Ken
    • Posted

Mike I read your post.  I'm sorry that you had a problem I think alot of the problem is that a catheter should be put in after.  It's up to the doctor.  I had one the first 2 days I had alot of pain and alot of blood clogs.  I also have a stricture.  I was fine the first couple of month peed like a horse. Now I leak a couple of times a week. It has been 4 month's  Having a scope done on the 10th.  Being that the instrament is bigger it may have cause more scare tissue on my stricture.  I still pee good but he think it holds some back  and when I move it comes out. If that is what it is I will have a ballon dilation of the ureathra.  I hope you get better..Happy health  Ken 
    • Posted

Hi Mike, I had a catheter in for  5 days after the procedure. After removing it ,it took at least two weeks to get to a consistent stream going.  Which was a great improvement because it was impossible to go prior to the implants.The urgency issue disappeared right after the procedure but has now returned. I never was told the size of my prostate , I will ask about that. Good Luck.....i'll update you on that cystoscopy

• Posted

Still waiting For a cystoscopy. On a full-time Foley catheter now since the 8mg. Of flomax stopped working. Got an appt. At mayo clinic for holep. Still researching pae.
    • Posted

Hi Bill

I am now 10 weeks plus post Urolift and my problems are not getting better. Recently I have had more soreness and the stream seems thinner.  A few days ago I almost had a catheter put in, but managed to get enough out.  I am two weeks into a four week course of antibiotics in case I have a prostate infection, but there is no improvement. 

The consultant says that it is too early to investigate with a cystoscopy as that might make things worse.  I have an appointment with the nurse in two weeks....

It is a real struggle and very disheartening.  The consultant says that none of his other patients have had such difficuty as me.

• Posted

Maybe you have a stricture for the procedure.  I got one from kidney stones procedure 12 years ago.  After the urolift I was fine but a month ago I found out that the stream is thinner.  Having a cystoscopy done on the November 12th to see if it's worse.  If it is having a balloon dilation done to open it up.  Have no problem peeing but it takes so long....Ken   
    • Posted

Hi Ken, thanks for your response. I too am hoping it is simply a stricture that can be remedied. I'll let you know
    • Posted

Hi Ken

How did your cystoscopy go?  I am still having problems.  Got worse after ejaculation.  Today I have constant urge and peeing less than 100cc at a time ....

• Posted

I go on the December 7.   I was soppuse to go November 12th but had my gallbladder out the 11th.   We will see  Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.